Cleaning Tape Off Windows

Category Windows
Tape can some times be difficult to easily remove from windows, particularly if it has been left on windows for a long time. This is a guide about cleaning tape off windows.

I tried fingernail polish remover and it worked super easy and fast.

Use white vinegar to remove residue left by masking tape on window glass where the tape has been left on for too long or has dried out quickly due to strong sunshine. Wipe over residue with well dampened soft cloth a couple of times, leave for sixty seconds or so then rub off residue using a fresh piece of your already dampened cloth. Dry and polish with a clean cloth.

Worked for me on residue which had stubbornly resisted earlier attempts and had been in place for some months.

Source: Mentioned elsewhere by others so not my idea, but not posted as a solution to this question.

This is a guide about removing masking tape from windows. Masking tape that is left too long on windows can be difficult to remove.

A roll of masking tape, used for painting.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When we heard about the hurricane, we taped our windows in an x pattern with masking tape. We realized we should have used painters tape, but didn't have any. When we took the tape off, a sticky residue was left. What can we use to take off the stickiness and have clean windows again?

By Pat

Answers

Best Answer

When I received my new refrigerator, I had the sticky tape problem when removing the tags. A dear friend told me that Lestoil works great. Hint: put on gloves. I tried it and it sure was great. I wiped it, let it sit a while, then rinsed it. To my surprise, the glue had dissolved. Every time I wipe down the area that was "sticky," I remember how it originally came and easy it was to remove the glue. Good luck, Happy in the Bronx, NY

I have a pop-up camper and the interior curtains, which have a rubber type material on the back, have "melted" to the plastic windows. When we peeled them off it left a sticky white residue. Any suggestions on how to get it off? It looks like the residue that duct tape would leave behind.

By Todd D.

Answers

Best Answer

If the windows are plastic, using a product like Goof Off or Goo Gone will melt the window and just make it worse. Try using a little isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps soften the residue. A good sturdy razor blade and a steady hand may be your best bet at that point. Using the razor blade and the alcohol together can be effective.

Have you ever had unwanted tape left over on windows and glass surfaces? Spread a thin portion of smooth peanut butter on the taped area. Wait 2-3 hours and use a putty blade or any any flat somewhat sharp tool. Gently scrape at the area and see the magic of it sliding right off. Then clean window with a vinegar and water solution and paper towels. Voila! You are tape free.

By Javamom77 from Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Answers

Great idea! Beats trying to scrape it off.

To keep that from happening again, try to get the tape off before the sun hits the glass. It will come off much easier. I grew up in the South, and at that time, part of preparing for hurricanes was to tape the windows.

Wipe it with rubbing alcohol then use a razor blade scraper to get it off. I do this to remove price stickers from pictures and mirrors. It works great!

How can I remove Scotch tape from tinting film on a window? I do not want to ruin the film on the windows. I also have Scotch tape on a painted car surface that has to go.

Note: that in both instances I'm asking about removing the tape itself, not just the adhesive residue. Soaking the impenetrable plastic surface of the tape surface with GooGone has not worked. Scraping the tape would probably scratch the underlying materials.

By Rich

How do I remove Scotch tape from windows that has been there for a while?

By Jo

There is Scotch tape on the window film at our new lease space. I need to remove it, but do not want to ruin the film on the store windows.

By Paul

I would like to know how can I remove tape glue from my window? We taped my sliding glass door for Katrina, and now I can't take it off. We used duct tape.

Tee from Lafayette, LA

I would like to know how can I remove tape glue from my window? We taped my sliding glass door for Katrina and now I can't take it off. We used duct tape.

Tee from Lafayette, LA

Answers:

How Do You Clean Tape Residue Off Windows

They make this stuff called "Goo-Gone" you can get at most Home stores. Spray some on pretty thick, let it sit, then scrape with a razor blade. This worked for me on a car seat that was in a hot car all the time and helped to get sticky labels off of it that had baked on. I also used it on the windows of my new house to get the label residue off of them. (10/25/2004)

By Teresa

Try using acetone nail polish remover. (10/25/2004)

By Barb

My sister in Kentucky always used isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle for cleaning residue from windows, sometimes mixed with 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 water (or use vinegar only, or alcohol only in the spray bottle). I have cleaned windows with alcohol only, and you won't get a better shine with anything. (10/25/2004)

Spray a bit of WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe over it or you can also use lighter fluid on a paper towel to take it off. You may have to let either one sit a few seconds then scrape it off with razor blade and it should come right off.
(10/25/2004)

By Tiffany

Try using cooking oil. You will then need to clean the oil off with hot water, Dawn dish liquid, and vinegar. I had a mirror with stickers that had been there for years and this worked like a charm. (10/26/2004)

By Tami

I use peanut butter to remove any and all leftover adhesive. For extra tough stickiness, cover with peanut butter, leave on for a day or night, rub off the next day.
(10/26/2004)

By pookster

Try antibacterial hand gel. I've tried it and it works like magic! Also, it doesn't make a mess. Very easy to wipe off. (10/28/2004)

By jeangnome46

There is also a product called "TKO". It's liquid that smells like oranges. It takes off the stickiness left by tape, labels, etc. It also removes marker, stains, odors, etc. It's expensive, but it works good, and you only need a little. (11/18/2004)

By klawrence34

Non-acetone nail polish remover works also, we tried it after we put masking tape up on our bedroom window, and it works so well! We actually got that idea off of this website, try it, it works! (02/05/2005)

By Abbey and Alex

Bleach works wonders for getting the sticky residue from tape off of windows/glass.
Hope this info helps you! (04/21/2005)

By Joyce

I bought one of those steam cleaners that you only have to use water and I swear by it!

(01/13/2006)

By kimbers867

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution to your problem, but if so, head to your local Home Depot. In their paint department they have an orange spray bottle of stuff (I think it's called "Goof Off") that will work absolute wonders. We moved into our home and the people prior to us had paint and sticky residue (I assume tape) from who knows how long ago, stuck on the windows. "Goof Off" took it all away with hardly any scrubbing; although you may need to use a razor blade, it will be with little effort. Good luck! (03/16/2006)

By Dawn

After trying out everything in my apartment, as a last resort, I used "Easy-off Oven Cleaner Fume Free Max". I sprayed a panel of window glass with Easy Off, then placed plastic wrap over it so it would stay moist. Waited a couple hours, then went back and the tape almost fell off, just with the Saran wrap. All it took was a few scrapes with a single edge razor to get a final clean up and follow up with Windex for a sparkling clean window. This method worked wonderfully! (10/01/2006)

By Alicia in TX

Try eucalyptus oil and a credit card. Just soak the oil on with a cotton ball and rub it in a bit, then scrape the residue off with the credit card. It works like magic. (11/01/2007)

By Poopsock

Rub it hard with olive or canola oil. It works for me and it's easy! (12/12/2007)

Buy a decorator's window scraper and you can just scrape the goo off and clean the window normally, gets rid of those spots of paint on the window too. (12/01/2008)

By get rid of goo :)

I used engine degreaser and let it sit for about ten seconds and then scrubbed it with the hard side of a dish sponge and it worked like a charm.
(12/23/2008)

By mr. clean

After Hurricane IKE we had a baby. 4 1/2 months later we got around to taking the baked on tape off. I used non-scented 7th Generation window cleaner, a bad DVD to scrape it, and a cloth to wipe it. It comes off fairly easily. I did 3 huge windows in 30 minutes. (02/05/2009)

By John