Removing Masking Tape from Windows

Category Windows
Masking tape that is left too long on windows can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing masking tape from windows.

This is a guide about removing masking tape from tinted windows. Removing masking tape from tinted windows can be very tricky as the tinting material can be damaged in the process.

Windows with a masking tape "x" in the center, for protection.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I used masking tape to frame up a window and I left it there too long. The tape has now dried up and is hard to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Frank M.

Answers

Best Answer

If it is on the glass, carefully use a razor scraper. Quick and easy.

Best Answer

Soften adhesive with cheap mineral spirits and scrape with razor blade. Easy as A-B-C.

I taped windows up for Cyclone Yasi. Now I am confronted with the sticky layer from masking tape over the glass. I tried metho and eucalyptus oil. Do you have any suggestions, please?

By M

Answers

Best Answer

There's a product called Goo Gone that takes adhesive backing residue from stuff. I had a label on a bathtub unable to remove until using this product.

Best Answer

Mineral spirits! I just tried lots of different stuff to clean my windows and my husband handed me a can of Mineral spirits. Whew, so much easier...

I was painting my window frames on my house last year, and forgot to remove the blue painters tape. I have tried razors, soaking it, everything I can think of, and it will not budge. It seems to have baked on. Please, I'd appreciate any tips!

Alyssa from MO

Answers

Best Answer

The longer you leave it on, like past 12 hours, it just ripps and shreds and is very hard to get off. I have done this many times with the sun baking it on or a furnace drying it. If you do a small area at a time, (2-3 feet) you can soak it with a wet sponge and wait about two minutes and repeat soak it. It will usually come loose. Sometimes I soak it a third time. If you try to soak too much of an area, it will just dry again. Just keep it very wet for at least 3 to 4 minutes.

If you have any spots with 2 layers, peel of the first layer and soak the second layer before trying to remove it. Don't attempt to use a razor or scraper except on glass.

How do I remove masking tape from PVC windows?

By rodge68 from Ireland

Answers

Best Answer

I believe any oil soap will do the job, or WD 40 > which is a spray multi purpose lubricant. Spray the area with the lubricant, leave to soak in for 30 minutes. Using a plastic spatula/scraper, remove the tape. When all the tape is removed, wash the area with hot soapy water, rinse & dry. Your PVC window will be perfect. Have a Great Day!