How Do You Clean Tape Residue Off Windows

I taped windows up for Cyclone Yasi. Now I am confronted with the sticky layer from masking tape over the glass. I tried metho and eucalyptus oil. Do you have any suggestions, please?

By M

Best Answer

There's a product called Goo Gone that takes adhesive backing residue from stuff. I had a label on a bathtub unable to remove until using this product.

Best Answer

Mineral spirits! I just tried lots of different stuff to clean my windows and my husband handed me a can of Mineral spirits. Whew, so much easier...

Try rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, lighter fluid or even hair spray.

Fingernail/toenail polish remover almost always works. Use a cotton ball to get the majority of the adhesive off first. It will take a bit of elbow grease but after most of the residue is gone, you can follow up with a dampened SOS pad and glass cleaner: Usually, the adhesive will disappear.

This process also works well on glass bottles that you would like to reuse without the manufactures' labels. Good Luck. :)

If the residue is dried hard from the heat or sun, use a razor blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass and you'll find it scrapes off easily. If it is still gooey then, like the other posters said, use Goo Gone. It's amazing stuff. Make sure it is "Goo Gone" though and not "Goo Off" - it doesn't work nearly as well.

Totally used Nail Polish Remover for the same problem you're trying to find an answer for, worked GREAT, and the tape residue was there for about 2 years! <3

Tia, Pasadena, CA
(1/3/2013)

Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsMarch 1, 2011
🍀
💘