Removing Labels from New Windows

Category Windows

Removing the labels from new windows can be surprisingly difficult. This is a guide about removing labels from new windows.

I just got new windows installed in my house. They have left plastic stickers and small plastic bags glued to the windows. I have tried the antibacterial lotion but it didn't work. This is really strong adhesive. Please help. My beautiful windows look horrible with these plastic bags glued to them.

Molly

Answers

Best Answer

I have found that WD-40 sprayed on the stickey residue works great....spray, let it penetrate, then rub off with a clean, dry cloth

Best Answer

We had the same thing with our new windows. We pealed off as much of the sticker as we could and then drenched what was left with WD-40, let it sit for a while and then use the side of a credit card to scrape the residue off. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can with a paper towel and wash the window as usual. Works great.

Best Answer

I tried a few of the above last night to no avail, then I rang the window manufacturers (in this case Velux) and they said hot soapy water! I nearly laughed at them, but guess what? It worked! It was like the heat or soap changed the consistency of the glue from hard and unmovable to stretchy and with very little effort was removed.
Loobs

We recently bought a house and the outside windows have the installation manufacturer's paper labels still glued to the glass. I found out from the neighbor that these labels have been on the windows for a least a year. I've tried Windex and Vaseline (what a mess) and they're not budging. I don't want to use a razor blade. What will remove the labels?

nancymaloney from Schertz, TX

Answers

I have used the product Goo Gone and it is wonderful for removing labels with Sticky tack. Good Luck!

Rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid work great.

If the windows are glass, a single edge razor blade would be easy to use.

Spray flyspray on the sticker. Sounds mad but my husband is a shopfitter and has done this for years. Works well. Should wipe off.

Rub plain old peanut butter on the labels. Let it set overnight and see how it is doing. May need another application if real stubborn. Works wonders for anything stuck on anything. I learned this from my 85 yr. old wise MIL

You can use WD-40 or GOO-B-GONE
Will be oily, so you will have to use hot water & soap to clean the window before you can wash it

I have used a product from the hardware store, Lowe's I think.It is called "Oops". It is in the paint section of the store where the paint removers are. I had used it to remove the registration sticker from my car windshield.

The people that clean new houses use razor blades for this along with Goo Gone or DeSolvIt. You can try using a scraper, like a Tupperware scraper you would use for pots and pans. The razor blade will not scratch the glass as long as it is wet. Good luck! Those stickers are a pain! They should be outlawed!

tRY HEATING THE LABELS UP WITH A HAIR DRYER. iT MELTS THE GLUE UNDERNEATH AND THEY WILL COME RIGHT OFF. THIS WORKS FOR ALMOST ANY KIND OF STICKY LABEL.

I USED HAIR CONDITIONER ON MY WINDOWS IN FLORIDA AFTER THE HURRICANES TO GET TAPE OFF, IT WORKED GREAT.

I have had the same problem and I used the peanut butter method. It worked fantastic!!

I've always used lighter fluid to remove kids stickers. Squirt, spray or rub it on so it soaks into the window sticker and then remove with a razor. Lighter fluid also works great to remove permanent marker on wooden floors or tables. A handy thing to have around for all sorts of gooey messes.

I clean new construction homes, the windows have paint, silicone, stickers and markers on them. I use "DAWN" dish soap, a 4" razor and a micro towel. Mix the dawn in some water, use a towel or well used green scatch pad, wet the window, razor (with the gliding side), from left to right then use the micro towel to dry the top and side. There you go cleanest windows on the block.

How can I remove a label from new window?

By Barb W.

What can I use to clean off glue from a sticker on a tinted window?

By Leticia from Woodbridge, CA