How Do You Clean Tape Residue Off Windows

I would like to know how can I remove tape glue from my window? We taped my sliding glass door for Katrina and now I can't take it off. We used duct tape.

Tee from Lafayette, LA

Answers:

They make this stuff called "Goo-Gone" you can get at most Home stores. Spray some on pretty thick, let it sit, then scrape with a razor blade. This worked for me on a car seat that was in a hot car all the time and helped to get sticky labels off of it that had baked on. I also used it on the windows of my new house to get the label residue off of them. (10/25/2004)

By Teresa

Try using acetone nail polish remover. (10/25/2004)

By Barb

My sister in Kentucky always used isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle for cleaning residue from windows, sometimes mixed with 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 water (or use vinegar only, or alcohol only in the spray bottle). I have cleaned windows with alcohol only, and you won't get a better shine with anything. (10/25/2004)

Spray a bit of WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe over it or you can also use lighter fluid on a paper towel to take it off. You may have to let either one sit a few seconds then scrape it off with razor blade and it should come right off.
(10/25/2004)

By Tiffany

Try using cooking oil. You will then need to clean the oil off with hot water, Dawn dish liquid, and vinegar. I had a mirror with stickers that had been there for years and this worked like a charm. (10/26/2004)

By Tami

I use peanut butter to remove any and all leftover adhesive. For extra tough stickiness, cover with peanut butter, leave on for a day or night, rub off the next day.

(10/26/2004)

By pookster

Try antibacterial hand gel. I've tried it and it works like magic! Also, it doesn't make a mess. Very easy to wipe off. (10/28/2004)

By jeangnome46

There is also a product called "TKO". It's liquid that smells like oranges. It takes off the stickiness left by tape, labels, etc. It also removes marker, stains, odors, etc. It's expensive, but it works good, and you only need a little. (11/18/2004)

By klawrence34

Non-acetone nail polish remover works also, we tried it after we put masking tape up on our bedroom window, and it works so well! We actually got that idea off of this website, try it, it works! (02/05/2005)

By Abbey and Alex

Bleach works wonders for getting the sticky residue from tape off of windows/glass.
Hope this info helps you! (04/21/2005)

By Joyce

I bought one of those steam cleaners that you only have to use water and I swear by it!

(01/13/2006)

By kimbers867

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution to your problem, but if so, head to your local Home Depot. In their paint department they have an orange spray bottle of stuff (I think it's called "Goof Off") that will work absolute wonders. We moved into our home and the people prior to us had paint and sticky residue (I assume tape) from who knows how long ago, stuck on the windows. "Goof Off" took it all away with hardly any scrubbing; although you may need to use a razor blade, it will be with little effort. Good luck! (03/16/2006)

By Dawn

After trying out everything in my apartment, as a last resort, I used "Easy-off Oven Cleaner Fume Free Max". I sprayed a panel of window glass with Easy Off, then placed plastic wrap over it so it would stay moist. Waited a couple hours, then went back and the tape almost fell off, just with the Saran wrap. All it took was a few scrapes with a single edge razor to get a final clean up and follow up with Windex for a sparkling clean window. This method worked wonderfully! (10/01/2006)

By Alicia in TX

Try eucalyptus oil and a credit card. Just soak the oil on with a cotton ball and rub it in a bit, then scrape the residue off with the credit card. It works like magic. (11/01/2007)

By Poopsock

Rub it hard with olive or canola oil. It works for me and it's easy! (12/12/2007)

Buy a decorator's window scraper and you can just scrape the goo off and clean the window normally, gets rid of those spots of paint on the window too. (12/01/2008)

By get rid of goo :)

I used engine degreaser and let it sit for about ten seconds and then scrubbed it with the hard side of a dish sponge and it worked like a charm.
(12/23/2008)

By mr. clean

After Hurricane IKE we had a baby. 4 1/2 months later we got around to taking the baked on tape off. I used non-scented 7th Generation window cleaner, a bad DVD to scrape it, and a cloth to wipe it. It comes off fairly easily. I did 3 huge windows in 30 minutes. (02/05/2009)

By John