Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley Sackman from Vicksburg, MI

34 More Solutions

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.

Cleaning the outside of windows the easy way using Cascade and hot water.

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

I know that everyone who loves this particular site will love this tip. For cleaning mirrors, etc. I don't bother making any concoction; I just use my empty bottle of all purpose cleanser (that I always keep in a spray bottle anyway).

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.

Instead of using paper towels or newspaper for cleaning your windows, try using the collection of wash cloths you have and never use, or pick up some cheap ones at a yard sale. They do a terrific job with a lot less elbow grease and there's no lint on the windows or black on your hands.

If you have a problem reaching for cleaning windows or anything high inside or out, purchase a telescopic window washer; the kind they use for cleaning bus windows. It works like a charm!

I ran out of paper toweling and I don't want to buy any more. I used a cloth baby diaper to wipe down my windows and mirrors. It works great - no streaks! Now I just have to make my own glass cleaner with vinegar and water.

Mix white vinegar 50 - 50 with water and put in a spray bottle. Spray it on generously. . .

Try using newspaper to clean mirrors and glass. First spray on the cleaning product, then wipe dry with the newspaper. I find paper with just black ink works best, and not slick, shiny paper - just plain old newspaper.

If you have run out of window cleaner, use a damp newspaper. They work really well and do not streak the glass. Be sure you only use it on glass and do not use newspaper with colored print on it.

Joy dish detergent works great for cleaning glass tables and windows. It doesn't leave streaks. I use it faithfully.

Forget microfibre cloths and proprietary cleaners. Place a sheet of newspaper in a basin of water; if it doesn't disintegrate, it's ideal for cleaning glass (windscreens, mirrors, and panes).

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By Linda Walmer from Stockton, CA

Answers

Mix 1 part vinegar with 4-5 parts water.

I use about a quarter cup of vinegar and a few drops of dish detergent. i favor dawn. put it in a half bucket of water. vinegar cleans and helps to reduce streaks and the detergent will cut the grease and crud off the window. got stickers on the windows? use vinegar full strength and soak the paper. it will eventually come off. to speed it up, use a straight razer blade to scrape.

MCW has a good vinegar/water ratio for cleaning windows. I put it in a spray bottle then use newspaper instead of paper towels to wipe which saves a little money. Remember to FIRST put on some disposable gloves or you will end up with black hands. The newspaper leaves no lint or streaks unless the window is very dirty, so you may need a 2nd application. The last tip is wipe in 1 direction on the outiside, another on the inside so if it does streak, you can easily tell which side of the glass it's on.

Paper coffee filters also great for cleaning windows. I buy the absolute cheapest brand. I start my cleaning mixture as MCW makes it. For the outside and the kitchen, I also put in a drop or two a dish detergent.

Straight club soda in a spritzer bottle works well for windows and glass too, and its a good alternative if the smell of vinegar is too overpowering. For windows I use a squeegee and wipe up any excess with a microfiber cloth. It makes the job go a lot faster!

If your windows are really dirty I'd use a dish soap and water solution first as plain vinegar might streak.

I just moved into a new flat, but I have no idea how to clean these particular windows! They're double glazed and it seems like there is residue from a previous bad cleaning. However when I tried to get it off it seems like the residue/marks are inside the two panels!

I don't know how this is possible and I really need your help, the windows just look awful!
Thanks a lot for your answers.

We have multiple dots developing on our low E windows. They are in the front and back of house, so it doesn't matter which direction the sun is coming from. We had the original installer out to look at them, but since they are beyond warranty, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he had never seen this problem and we were pretty much ignored.

Has anyone heard of this and what might be causing it? They spots are definite round circles as are polka dots.

By Laurie from Edmonton, Alberta

I need to clean my business windows. I'm on a busy main road were anything from farm vehicles, semis, cars, and so on are passing. There is lots of wind blowing dirt, chemicals, and more. I've cleaned the outside windows with Windex, ammonia, vinegar, and tried the toothpaste.

I still have these dirty not appealing spots on the window. What else do I try before paying $300 for my 9'x9' window to be cleaned by a pro.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Windows-Inside-and-Outside.html