Using Ammonia as an Oven Cleaner

Category Appliances
Ammonia is useful in cleaning the burned on food and grease off of your oven walls and racks. This is a page about using ammonia as an oven cleaner.

To clean an oven, fill a glass baking dish with ammonia and place in a cold oven overnight. The next morning, remove ammonia and wipe down sides with wet cloth. The fumes from the ammonia will have cut through the grease and come off with ease.

Source: My husband's Grandmother.

By Debbie from Hampton, Tennessee

Can I not clean my gas oven with ammonia with the gas valve off?

Answers

Best Answer

The smell is so bad it is not really a good idea to use ammonia in a closed space like this. It is a lot better to make a baking soda paste to clean your oven with.

You can also buy a fume free oven cleaner to use but I do not really like this. I normally add some salt and baking soda together with a small amount of water to clean my oven with.

Best Answer

I would not, but people swear by it.

My preferred method (before I invested in a self cleaning model) was to use salt, vinegar and baking soda. It would foam up and I used a soft sponge to scrub. It was equal proportions vinegar and baking soda and 1/2 proportion of salt.

I try to keep the oven clean with regular spot cleaning so the full self cleaning is only after a huge cook time,like after the holidays.

Is it safe to use ammonia to clean a gas oven?

Answers

You should NEVER use Ammonia on a gas oven! It is safer on electric ovens, only if it is the clear ammonia.

This is not safe on gas, could cause a explosion !

No Ammonia please!
Gas is entirely different that electric and gas usually has a pilot light somewhere which means it could be safer to turn the gas off before using harsh cleaners.

I usually used baking soda and vinegar and spread it with a medium size paint brush.
Here are a couple of sites that offer good directions.

thekitchenprofessor.com/.../best-oven-cleaner-gas-ovens

womenyoushouldknow.net/.../

www.scanaenergy.com/.../how-to-clean-a-natural-gas-oven-(the-natural-way)

I would never do this if I were you. Making a mixture of baking soda and vinegar is the only things you should use in a gas oven to clean the oven.

I would never add ammonia to the oven and clean it with this. It is dangerous and you are in a very small area. The fumes alone can be dangerous to you and your health.

The Stubborn oven cleaner says to take ammonia out and add vinegar and soda. Do you add the vinegar and soda to the ammonia?

By TAMARA

Answers

No, you are supposed to mix the baking soda and vinegar to make a paste, and wipe the inside of the oven with it. I assume you pour the ammonia down the drain. Or clean something else with it. You would be better off mixing the baking soda with water to make a paste, as water will not neutralize any of it, as the vinegar will.

I believe some people also wipe the oven with a cloth or paper towel soaked in vinegar, to neutralize the ammonia &/or baking soda. I don't really think that would be necessary. Just wipe it out with damp paper towels.

How to use ammonia for oven cleaning?

By Barbara

This recipe is from Natural Cleaning for Your Home by Casey Kellar.

• 1/4 cup ammonia
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
Preheat your oven to its lowest setting; once the light goes off, turn off stove. Put ammonia in a bowl or pan and let sit in the closed oven for 4-6 hours. Remove the ammonia and add vinegar and soda to make a paste. Use the paste and a heavy duty sponge to scrub most stubborn areas. Mist the oven with water and wipe clean. This cleaner also works great for cleaning your barbecue grill.

This is cheaper and better for you than bought oven cleaners.

By Paula

Answers:

Stubborn Oven Cleaner

This works great. So easy and no mess or bad odor. Thanks so much. (05/25/2005)

By Phyllis

Stubborn Oven Cleaner

I have a gas stove/oven. I assume you can't use ammonia for this type. Does anyone know of a way to clean this type of oven with a non-toxic cleaner? (07/26/2007)

By Julia

Stubborn Oven Cleaner

Heated chemicals aren't a good idea. Some are MUCH more toxic when hot and in gaseous form. I think I'd try it cold instead? God bless you. : ) (07/29/2007)

By Lynda

Stubborn Oven Cleaner

I am just wondering how this works. The fumes from the ammonia in the oven react with the grease to create "soap" that should just wipe or wash off. This is a chemical reaction. Ammonia is a base. A base plus grease or fat makes soap. However, the second part of this cleaner does not make sense to me.

Baking soda is a milder base; vinegar is an acid. When you mix baking soda and vinegar, you get water plus carbon dioxide plus salt. The carbon dioxide bubbles off; the salt is dissolved and is no different than salt water. You could just as well add water to the ammonia to dilute it. It would have the same effect. I suppose if there is not enough acid to neutralize the two bases you have, you will have a slightly basic solution to clean with, but you would do just as well by using straight ammonia, ammonia in some water, or baking soda dissolved in water. It is chemically the same thing.

By the way, ammonia is very toxic. The smell is terrible and it is a caustic substance, no better for you or the environment than regular oven cleaners. (07/29/2007)

By louel53

Stubborn Oven Cleaner

Ammonia releases toxic fumes to humans and is bad for the environment! (02/13/2009)

By mary

In These Pages
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 30, 2017
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Ammonia-as-an-Oven-Cleaner.html