Removing Melted Plastic from a Stove Burner

Category Appliances
It happens, the burner on the stove is still hot and you accidentally put a plastic bowl, spoon, or even a bag on the burner. Too late you get it off, but the damage is done. This is a guide about removing melted plastic from a stove burner.

I am having issues with removing stuck on plastic that is stuck to an old burner that is coiled. And I have tried a lot of stuff.

Answers

Best Answer

This is not an easy job but it can be done.

• If you have good ventilation you can actually burn it off but you will also need to wear a mask to keep from breathing the fumes.
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/melted-plastic-off-stove-burner-24706...
  • You can put water in a pan or your sink and add a strong cleanser like Ajax or Barkeepers Friend and place the burner in the water to soak overnight.
  • You should be able to scrub it off the following day.
Best Answer

I would use a very low heat and a sharp metal tool to peel it. Wear gloves and a mask.

My flat top stove had a spatula melted on the hot surface. How do I get it all off?

Answers

Best Answer

I laid a plastic grocery bag with 2 loaves of bread in it on the stove not knowing it was recently turned off. I went to get more groceries out of the car and came back to a very smokey kitchen and melted plastic all over the burner, the bread was also burnt.

I had no idea how to clean it up. The next day I found this site and I am still amazed and relieved how easy it was to clean up with alcohol and a razor blade from my utility knife! I am also relieved I am not the first person that made that mistake! I felt pretty stupid!

I had a plastic bag on the electric stove and I accidentally turned on the wrong burner. Now, I have bits of melted plastic on one of the electric rings. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it won't come off. Please help!

Kate from Melbourne

Answers

By (Guest Post)

That has never happened to me, but if it did I would be tempted to take a straight-edged razor and carefully scrape away at the burnt-on plastic. I wonder if the remnants that are left could just be burned off by running the burner for a while (with a ventilator fan on, of course).

Have you tried using steel wool and Comet or Ajax?

By (Guest Post)

That's a tough stain to get rid of, what I did, and it worked pretty well, was to get the burner hot as heck and use a full sized wire brush to clean the burner, I won't say that it will take all os it out but it sure got rid of a lot of the stain.

How about a new burner ring?

By duckie43 (Guest Post)

I did the same thing and tried almost everything to get it off with out much luck. It accidently slid into a sink full of soapy water with the dishes. I didn't notice it until I was almost finished. When I found it, the plastic was gone. I put it back in the receptical, after letting it dry for a couple of days and it worked fine.

I wouldn't suggest dropping it in the sink, but you could try standing it up in a pan of hot soapy water and letting it sit until the water cools. Making sure you keep the element dry. It worked for me and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

By (Guest Post)

HEAT THE STOVE RING AND WIPE WITH A THICK HEAVY DAMP RAG ONCE IT IS HOT IT SHOULD WIPE RIGHT OFF

I have parts of a plastic cutting board melted on mine. I scraped off as much as I could. I tried warming the burner with the overhead exhaust fan on. My fire alarm's went off. I have scraped many times. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. I will not use that burner.
I do not want to see the `fire dept' again. I'm in a sm. apt.

How do you clean a stove that has had a plastic bag melted on it?

Answers

Removal method depends on the surface type-glass, metal, etc. "how to clean stuff.com" has several methods.

I have an electric stove top burner with melted plastic on it. The plate is solid and not easily removed. I would like a solution that does not require burner removal.

By Martin J from Tucson, AZ

Answers

A search online brought up many suggestions; you can try this site to start: http://homeguid  urner-24706.html

I melted a plastic strainer on the burner of my stove.

By Renee from Flushing, NY

Answers

I know this may sound awful, but what I usually do is turn the burner back on and while it is hot I get a wet dish cloth or a metal meat turner to remove it very quickly. It smells bad but it works for me, good luck.

How do I remove melted plastic from electric stovetop?

By Richard

A plastic freezer bag somehow got on a very hot burner of the smooth top stove and melted and burned. I tore away as much as I could, but still have lumps and streaks of the plastic on the top. I'm afraid to try to scrape it off lest I scratch the top.

By Virginia C.

Well, I have a slightly different problem. I had a plastic bag melt on my stove burner because of the heat from the oven. I thought I could get it off while it was warm, but didn't work. Any suggestions?

By Doris H