Cleaning Heat Stains on Kitchen Stoves

Category Appliances
Heat stains on ovens and stovetops can be a challenge to remove properly. This is a guide about cleaning heat stains on kitchen stoves.

I have tried without success to remove smoke stains from a white electric range. When using the broiler and when the stove is turned on for self-cleaning, smoke comes up through the oven onto the white backside of the range. Nothing I've used so far including Soft Scrub will remove it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

By fritzlouise from Ft. Myers, FL

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try backing soda. It worked for me.

I have a Maytag gas range that is only two years old. When I cooked on high, the burners and surrounding area all turned brown and I can't get it cleaned off. It is burned right in even though I washed it after every time I used it. Is there anyway to clean this? My stove looks terrible. This never happened with my old stove.

By Joy from Buffalo, NY

Answers

I have a problem with the drip pans on my electric stove. They turn copper colored on top and bottom. I just got new pans to replace the old ones and after using the one burner twice the drip pan is starting to turn on the bottom side. I have been real careful to not use any higher than a medium high temperature since then, also tooke the drip pan out and washed it before it got used again.

Have you tried using Easy Off Oven Cleaner? Just spray some of it on a dampened cloth and place it on the area awhile and see if it will help. If you have pilot lights on, then do it like that otherwise, spray some on the area.

You might try Barkeepers Friend or Zud. Both of these will clean stains on stainless steel. Both are abrasive and may scratch however. If your stainless is brushed be sure and work with the grain and rub as little as possible. If it is glossy I would try it in an inconspicuous place to check for scratching. I am a retired cleaning lady and have had great luck with this product. Good luck.

I also have amaytag gas stove that is two years old and I use Soft Scrub to clean the stove. Does a great job.
good luck Marie

Contact Maytag as you should have a longer warranty. If it's over warranty contact the store you bought it at - or if the place is no longer around contact a local appliance store that is "friendly". I know the place I bought my stuff in is very good, any time I've had a problem they help me for free and my stuff is 7 years old. Stinky musty washer, here try this, for free, no service call! Good luck.

The best thing that I have found for cleaning the brown stains from around the burners on my gas stove is baking soda and a damp sponge. My stove is 12 years old, and still looks good. I have never used oven cleaner in my oven...only baking soda. And I put the oven racks in a garbage bag, pour in a half cup of ammonia and tie the bag shut. I put the bag in the bathtub overnight and then remove the racks in the morning and dispose of the bag. Wipe the racks off with a damp sponge, and use a green 3M pad if there are any stubborn spots. My oven looks like I hardly ever use it!

Harlean from Arkansas

I've discovered that Magic Erasers (I buy the generic equivalent) work wonderful on my white stove top. I've had stains on and off that sound very similar to yours, and these work better than anything else I have tried. Use them gently because they can begin to wear through the finish a bit if you are too aggressive. Usually a very light going over does wonders. They seem to work great on any white or light colored appliances. You should see what they do to the outside of my refrigerator, it looks like new!

Easy Off don't work for every stove , have the same problem, renting so I can't get rid of it , my house in New Jersey beautiful gas stove easy cleaning 

I use barkeepers friend all the time on my black glass top stove and it does an increible job,, might take a little elbow greese to work on it if it is really bad.

My Mother has a self-cleaning oven as do I. When she uses the self-cleaner it makes a yellowish stain above the door. Mine does not do that. How can we remove this stain? We have tried a variety of cleaners and I thought for sure the Magic Eraser would take it off but didn't! Any help is appreciated.

Michele from Western, KY

Answers

Try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. It's only $1.88 or so for 2 and it works on the toughest stains while still be "safe".

oops I guess I should've read your entire post LOL. I just read the end.

My Maytag does that, there are vents under the lock. Yesterday I was disgusted (lots of grease too?) and I doused it with window cleaner and scrubbed with a tooth brush, then detailed with q-tips. I eventually got the handle clean, but there is still a yellow haze. I'm going to try lighter fluid after the kids go to bed (fumes and all) the stove is next to the living room entrance. I'll let you know how it works!

I just tried the lighter fluid (ronosol) and barely made a dent! It got some gunk off, but did nothing for the stain. My model isn't available for on-line brochure, so I'll have to look more into it later.

MURPHY'S OIL SOAP & water!

I had a yellowish film on my stove's console where the oven vents; I had washed and scrubbed with lots of kitchen type cleaners and finally decided that at least I knew it was "clean" if not white.

Then one day I washed my whole kitchen (appliances, counters and floor) with MURPHY'S OIL SOAP and water. The yellow stain on my stove wiped right off - NO SCRUBBING!! I was dumbfounded. It left a GREAT shine on my floors, too with no rinsing!

I ran out of my Murphy's or I'd be using that too! Yes (guess I had a blonde moment) and that should work! I clean EVERYTHING with that too, especially the parts of our center car console, my hubby couldn't believe it when I did it, and makes the best carwash!

Murphy's Oil Soap did no make a dent on similar stain on my oven

Unfortunately my oven vents are located direcly under the backsplash of my glass top stove, and the white enamel is beginning to discolour badly. The glass top cleaner does nothing, but I fear perhaps making it worse by trying other things. I rarely use my oven so it is usually fairly clean and it's not caused by food spills. Any ideas?

By Fran S.

Answers

I have the same problem and now the white paint above that vent is starting to chip off. My stove is not very old and I am very disappointed. My last stove did the same thing and I got a new stove because I couldn't stand the paint-less area on the back panel (with the knobs) from the heat and scrubbing.

How do I get rid of the mark on the outside of the oven?

The oven was on 250 degrees Celsius and 2 donuts were burnt beyond recognition. Smoke came out of the oven and the heat and smoke combined have blackened the white exterior of the oven. How do I get the affected outside handles and frame back to white? The glass doors cleaned up with soap and water. Any suggestions?

Answers

Not sure if it will work or not but you might try a paste of baking soda and water. I have had a lot of success getting burn marks off my stove with it. I usually rub it in with a toothbrush or a cloth, whichever is handier.

I have a white porcelain stove, on the top ledge on the outside of the door it has gotten a brown stain on it. Any suggestions on how I can get it off? I have tried everything.

By Sherry from Greensburg, PA

Answers

I have the same problem. The top of the oven is a plastic. Wish I knew the answer, too!

How do I get yellow stains off a wall oven? Some seem to be white plastic.

By Olga M

How do I remove yellowish discolored burn stains from an electric stove that are around the drip pan?

By Liz L