Cleaning a Dishwasher

A while back I think I remember reading how to clean the dishwasher but I can't find the answers. Mine is not cleaning glasses thoroughly, leaving smudge marks and residue in the bottom. I have just moved in and have no idea how long if ever the dishwasher has been cleaned. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aquarius from Ontario Canada

Answers:

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I just did it TODAY! Fill up dishwasher with only glass and plastic, all the ones you want cleaned. Place a dish of 1 cup of bleach at the bottom of the dishwasher, run 1 wash cycle do not dry. Then do the same thing with 1 cup vinegar. The processes together works wonders, I've tried either or, this one works the best! Sparkling clean eveything. I got the idea from the Queen of Clean. You can dry the second round if you want to. (02/03/2007)

By michawnpita

Editor's Note: Mixing bleach with acidic materials (like vinegar) can create a toxic gas. Make sure one substance has been cleaned out of the dishwasher before adding the second one.

Cleaning a Dishwasher

The repairman told me to use a cup of vinegar on the bottom of the dishwasher and run it through a cycle. I did this several times. We have very hard well water and the vinegar allowed the water to flow once more.It wasn't rinsing out the food. I also tossed in some cleanser for coffee makers and that seemed to help. The best thing of all is to get a water softener and have a filter hooked up in front of the softener. You should see all the black sludge it catches from the well. (02/03/2007)

By Anna

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Once in a while my husband takes out the things in the dishwasher that spray water and cleans all the chunks of food out of them. That makes a BIG difference. (02/04/2007)

By Allison

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I put denture cleaning tablets in the bottom of my dishwasher. It dissolved the soap scum and now my machine is clean! It works great in toilets too! (03/06/2007)

By Adrienne

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I did the 1 cup bleach in the wash cycle and did 1 cup of vinegar in another wash cycle. What a difference! I had tried lemonade kool-ade and purchased citric acid but this was about a 90% improvement. Others were very minor improvements. The inside of my dishwasher was dark gray and my plastic had started to have a black finish to it. It all looks almost new now. (07/16/2007)

By Nikki

Cleaning a Dishwasher

My dishwasher repair man told me to squirt some toilet bowl cleaner in after it had filled with water and run it through empty. It did a great job! (01/14/2008)

By Lori

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I use The Works tub cleaner. I just spray it allover the inside of the tub and then run a rinse cycle. There is a little foam left, but that can be taken away with some cold water, then hit the drain button. You can get the works at wal-mart for just over a dollar, it is in a green bottle, the blue one is for toilets. (03/23/2008)

By Bridgete

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Dishwasher full of dishes.
Cleaning a Dishwasher
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 6:04:43 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 941 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.