Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

I have a very deep crystal decanter and it is impossible to clean the inside. I have even I put rice and vinegar and shaken it or put a cloth in it. The cloth couldn't go to the upper part of the lower wide part of my decanter.

There is (I guess) a water/lime stain that needs to to be wiped with something, but that is impossible to reach. I am looking for some kind of liquid cleaner that can be shaken inside it or some other ways to clean it. Thanks.

By decanter from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

You should be able to go to a restaurant supply, or even a chemical supply company and get a long handled bottle brush to fit. Flasks used in chemistry often are long and narrow. A beer or wine making store might have such a thing too.

Another way to clean inside an object is to use table salt with just a little bit of water. It will scrape against the side. I might use both of these methods together to get it crystal clear.

Good Luck! (10/06/2009)

By jess

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

You can also use a denture tablet or two and fill with water. That is a good cleaner! (10/06/2009)

By aitkin

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Try denture tablets (10/07/2009)

By lhendri479

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Bartender's or Barkeeper's Friend is another suggestion. Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot all carry it. (10/08/2009)

By mizgwen

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

I recently bought a bottle brush for wine flutes at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I think if you used something like that combined with white vinegar, it should come clean. (10/10/2009)

By crazyliblady

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Try putting some dishwashing powder (for a dishwashing machine) in water in the bottle and leave for a day - make sure there is enough water to reach the stain. Shake occasionally. Failing this, you could try the same method using bleach and water. Good luck (10/10/2009)

By merry50

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Another method is sand - either from a sandbox or even the gravel for fish tanks with water to swish - should be good exercise! You might combine also - the denture tablets and some sand. Good luck (10/10/2009)

By 2oma

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Definitely try denture tablets - I just cleaned my stainless steel coffeemaker carafe (which I thought had a black lining!) using 3 denture tablets. I was amazed at the crud that came out and that the insides were shiny and silvery! Also the Dollar Tree stores sell bottle brushes in the baby section, only a dollar! Good luck, Nancy in NC
(10/13/2009)

By NokomisNims

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Did you try CLR? That might work. Then, to get it dry, try my tip posted.

A quick and easy way to dry the inside of bottles or decanter that can't be dried with a brush or rag on the inside is to take about 3/4 cup of quinoa grain and swirl it around the inside of the bottle. It will absorb the moisture, and not leave any residue. Quinoa is a grain-like berry and is very absorbent to do this task.

(04/09/2010)

By tecolote from San Diego, CA

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Watering Lawn
Watering a Narrow Strip of Lawn
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
🎄