Gluing Glass to Glass

Category Glass Art
Craft projects using glass often require you to glue glass to glass. This is a guide about gluing glass to glass.

I am doing a project where I want to glue beach glass to glass. The glue has to be transparent. I plan on grouting around the pieces of glass for more effect. Which glue should I use, E6000 or Gorilla Glue, or something else?

Answers

Best Answer

E6000 It is good for everything. Secret is to let it set for couple hours

Best Answer

Clear silicon sealent like Bison Poly Max if you need the glue to be transparent or some aquarium glue.

I need to find a glue that will firmly secure glass beads and marbles to a window pane, that also dries clear. I need it for a kindergarten class project for their school auction. Any suggestions?

By Kylie R.

Answers

Best Answer

I would think that E 5000 glue would work but you have to sand the glass a bit and then the marbles too, to help them stick well.

Best Answer

http://www.thistothat.com/ is a website that tells you which glue to use for whatever you need to glue together. Just enter the two items and you will be given the info that you need. Good luck.
Margaret from Denton, Texas

What kind of glue do you use to glue items (glass pebbles, bottle bottoms, tiles) to glass?

By Yolanda P

Answers

Best Answer

My friend did a Redneck Wine Glass, and she sanded the surfaces and used a 6000 glue.

They have stuck together really well. You have to take sandpaper and sand down one or both of the surfaces to get the glass surfaces to stick to other glass surfaces.

Best Answer

from thistothat.com

Glass to Glass
For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:
Loctite Impruv

If Loctite is not available in your area, or you live in Alaska in the winter where there is no available UV light, we recommend:
Household Goop

Another fast alternative that will do the job, but not as strong, is
Krazy Glue
Super Glue
Zap
Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

If the bond has to hold up to solvents use:
Seal-All

The least toxic, yet not as strong, alternative is:
Weldbond

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

What is the best glue to use for gluing two 8x8x3 glass blocks together? I have used Goop glue and it has an odor that doesn't go away much. I stack the 2 blocks on top of each other with a plastic strip in between and need to make sure if I pick them up by the top block only, that they will not separate.

Brenda from Fort Wayne, IN

Answers

Best Answer

Clear silicone sealer, it has an odor until it dries but then no odor and it will hold anything. Can be purchased at Lowe's or Walmart. You can buy it in many sizes but I prefer this tube size that goes in a caulking gun for ease of giving you a line to work with. When your finished put a large nail in the end to close it off until next use. The smell will be terrible until it drys then you have no smell at all, do this outside or where you have good ventilation.

http://www.lowe  A&lpage=none

Best Answer

If you want to permanently affix just about anything to just about everything, try Liquid Nails. After it dries, it's odorless. You won't need anything and the glass blocks will fail before it does.

http://www.liqu  ls.com/index.jsp

I have a clear glass fish that sits on an LED lighted base. A piece broke off and I am looking for a glue that will still allow the light to shine through to the broken fin piece once it is repaired. Any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

E6000 will work. It's great for glass. I sell tons of it in my craft shop. You should be able to find it locally.

How do I glue two very dense pieces of crystal together? I have an antique quartz crystal (almost clear) 10 inch high Buddha. It fell and the head broke off. What is the world's best and strongest clear drying adhesive available? I am confused by all of the many claims on line. Can someone help?

By Richard M.

Answers

Best Answer

I second the use of E6000 glue. It is wonderful!

I am trying to glue the wings back on a glass butterfly. What type of glass glue do I use for heavy glass?

By Sheliah

Answers

Best Answer

E6000 is the best thing I have found! If you can't find it contact me. I have it in my shop. Search Cindybeadlady

I have a crystal horse and need to repair a piece that came off. I purchased some glass glue, but can't seem to get the piece to adhere. Any suggestions?

By James from W Hollywood, CA

Answers

Use china glue or china cement. They sell it in hardware stores. You can get white, clear or off white. This works great. I glued a glass ceiling bowl attached to an antique light fixture that I broke and it worked perfectly. You cannot even see the crack.

Use bostik superglue. I had a little crystal boat and one of the sails fell off. A tiny dab of superglue and I held it in place for a few seconds, and voila! It's fixed!

I have a square glass decorative dessert plate that was on a stand, like a cake stand. I took it out of the dishwasher and the two pieces were separated completely. There were remnants of the clear glue or adhesive that was used originally on both pieces. I could peel it off and it was hardened. What can I use to put this glass plate back together so that it will withstand hot water when washed?

By EC

Answers

There is a china glue by Lepage on the market or get a glue for glass. If the dessert stand falls apart so easily, perhaps it should hand-washed and dried in water that is less hot than a dishwasher.

I am making a 3 or 4 tier glass stand out of glass dishes. I am wondering how to prep the smooth edges of the glass for the glue to adhere better.

By Kathy from USA

Answers

Hi Kathy, I didn't do anything to prep them. I use Premium Waterproof Caulk. 100% Silicone Clear. I have used this on several projects, in fact one of them is in water. I don't have a problem with water getting it, coming apart, and on one of the projects, the glass is quite heavy, have been using the items for years. Hope that helps.Sandy2009

I recently had a rather small piece of glass to glue to another piece of glass and found out an easy way to keep it in place while it dried. Take a wad of play dough or modeling clay, press it over the piece to anchor it in place. When dried, just lift it off.

By Jim from W. Hollywood, CA

I have used several glues to glue glass to glass. I started with E-6000, but found that the tube of glue was useless after 2 or 3 uses. It wouldn't bond anything anymore. I switched to Gorilla Glue. I use the water activated kind. You just run a damp washcloth over each piece of what you are gluing. It expands a bit while drying to fill holes, and best of all the glue in the bottle doesn't dry up.

I am starting to do yard art by gluing different glass pieces together, i.e. plates, vases, etc. Problem is I don't know what type of glue to use. Thanks.

By Sfarler from Olympia

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

At Village Garden Web, according to a post by robin_ssi, "The best adhesive to use when you're working with glass is Weldbond. It dries clear, is non-toxic and it is waterproof when it dries." gardenweb.com (05/16/2009)

By Anonymous

Gluing Glass to Glass

Here's the website where I got this information it's great when everyone glues anything together:

thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

Loctite Impruv

Household Goop

• Krazy Glue
  • Super Glue
  • Zap
  • Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

Seal-All

Weldbond

(05/17/2009)

By BABBIE

Gluing Glass to Glass

I use E-6000. It's the best adhesive to use with glass. (05/21/2009)

By castleberrycc

What type of glue should we use to glue decorative glass to glass blocks?

Denis from Ottawa, Ontario

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

Glue This to That. This site tells you which glue to use to glue things to other things, this tool helps you with that!

http://www.thistothat.com/ (12/02/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Gluing Glass to Glass

I've used a good clear adhesive caulk with excellent results. I have a stained glass butterfly that I mounted to a clear glass building block that has been out in my backyard for years and it's still going strong. If the glass your gluing to the glass block is also clear you might want to try a test item first to see if the caulk shows through or not. I also use the clear caulk for mounting stained glass to stepping stones and let it set up before I grout them. (12/03/2008)

By MaryC.

Gluing Glass to Glass

I don't know what is available in Indiana but two ideas come to mind: Ask at your local Lowe's or Home Depot type store or contact your local Glaziers Union. They are a labor union that installs commercial glass and likely would be willing to answer your question.

Good Luck.

Tracie (12/07/2008)

By Tracie

Load More