Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Dried pinto beans.

Crockpot cooking will help create a tender pot of beans. This guide is about cooking dried beans in a slow cooker.

Solutions: Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Crockpot Camper's Beans

This is a great recipe for any time. Great in the summer for around the campfire and also good and hearty in the colder weather months.

• 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (16 oz.) can butter beans, drained
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
  • 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 (16 oz.) cans pork and beans

Directions:

Brown hamburger and onion; drain grease. Put in crockpot and add remaining ingredients.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Hours

By Robin from Washington, IA

Tip: Crockpot Pinto Beans Recipes

Crockpot Pinto BeansIdeas and resources for cooking pinto beans in the crockpot.

Beans And Bacon

Wash beans, cover with warm water. Let stand over night, or several hours. Place beans in crock pot, add half pound uncooked bacon. (bacon can also be crisp fried, reserving fat. If you enjoy Cracker Barrel style pinto beans, use fried bacon. Put soaked beans into crock pot, add bacon, fill pot with water, add 1 tablespoon salt. cook on high until boiling. set on low, cook until beans are tender, and juice thickens. Add reserved fat . Stir well, simmer for 30 minutes, and enjoy.

By Judy

Fix It and Forget It

Go to your local library and check out a book or two for crockpots. "Fix it and forget it" is a great book to start with.

By Diamondee

Pork And Beans

This is triple cheap, triple easy, triple good. One pound of pinto beans, washed and picked through. Dump in crock pot with 1 lb. of pork neck bones (flavor is wonderful with beans) and 2 packages of Goyas 'Sazon' spice, available in Mexican food section at the store. This is not a hot spice, and should be about 79 cents a pack. Set on low, it will be ready by evening.

C.J. Cox

Beans And Hominy

About an hour before the beans are done in crockpot, I add some drained white hominy. Use 2 big cans of white hominy, rinse and add to crockpot. I serve with chopped onions and chopped cilantro and put out a bottle of Cholula sauce or salsa. Hominy is in Mex Food Section WalMart carries it.

I usually use an old ham bone and some ham, the best is cheap. Smoked hamhocks cooked with the beans are the BEST! Great, now I want some!

By meoowmom

Quick Soak And Slow Cook

I "quick soak" the pintos. Pick through them and bring them to a boil in a regular pot. Once there, cover, turn off the heat and let them sit that way for an hour. Then pour into a colander and rinse. You do NOT want to cook beans in the soaking water. Then, add them to the crock pot with fresh water, a ham hock and a little bit of salt. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for the rest of the weekend if you want. Serve with onion, tomato, corn bread and plenty of hot sauce.

By Dave

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker.

Question: Cooking Dried Beans in a Crockpot

If I cook some pinto beans with bacon in my crockpot, can I soak them overnight, then put them on low for a day to cook?

By Rob from Reno, NV

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie02/29/2012

I use my crock pot all the time with dried beans. Yes, soak the bean overnight in enough water to cover the beans plus about three inches of water.

Next morning drain off the soaking water, and then rinse the beans in cold water. Put the beans back into the crock pot with enough water to cover them plus about an inch and a half, cover and cook-add the bacon about two hours before serving the beans.