Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker

Crockpot cooking will help create a tender pot of beans. This guide is about cooking dried beans in a slow cooker.

This is a great recipe for any time. Great in the summer for around the campfire and also good and hearty in the colder weather months.

• 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (16 oz.) can butter beans, drained
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
  • 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 (16 oz.) cans pork and beans

Directions:

Brown hamburger and onion; drain grease. Put in crockpot and add remaining ingredients.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Hours

By Robin from Washington, IA

If I cook some pinto beans with bacon in my crockpot, can I soak them overnight, then put them on low for a day to cook?

By Rob from Reno, NV

I use my crock pot all the time with dried beans. Yes, soak the bean overnight in enough water to cover the beans plus about three inches of water.

Next morning drain off the soaking water, and then rinse the beans in cold water. Put the beans back into the crock pot with enough water to cover them plus about an inch and a half, cover and cook-add the bacon about two hours before serving the beans.

I do this all the time. To my crockpot I add a bag of dry beans,an onion peeled but not cut up, and a large sprig or 2 of rosemary, because I have a large bush of it. Certainly this is not necesssary, tho. No SALT! Salt toughens the outside of the beans. Cover by at least 2-3 inches of water, cook all day or start it at nite and it will be done in the AM. NOW add salt of other seasonings as desired. I freeze these cooked beans in flat ziplocks so they will thaw easily as needed.