Browsing: Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cooking Dried Beans in a Slow Cooker

Crockpot cooking will help create a tender pot of beans. This guide is about cooking dried beans in a slow cooker.

Dried pinto beans.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 6, 2007 Flag

Crockpot Pinto BeansIdeas and resources for cooking pinto beans in the crockpot.

Beans And Bacon

Wash beans, cover with warm water. Let stand over night, or several hours. Place beans in crock pot, add half pound uncooked bacon. (bacon can also be crisp fried, reserving fat. If you enjoy Cracker Barrel style pinto beans, use fried bacon. Put soaked beans into crock pot, add bacon, fill pot with water, add 1 tablespoon salt. cook on high until boiling. set on low, cook until beans are tender, and juice thickens. Add reserved fat . Stir well, simmer for 30 minutes, and enjoy.

By Judy

Fix It and Forget It

Go to your local library and check out a book or two for crockpots. "Fix it and forget it" is a great book to start with.

By Diamondee

Pork And Beans

This is triple cheap, triple easy, triple good. One pound of pinto beans, washed and picked through. Dump in crock pot with 1 lb. of pork neck bones (flavor is wonderful with beans) and 2 packages of Goyas 'Sazon' spice, available in Mexican food section at the store. This is not a hot spice, and should be about 79 cents a pack. Set on low, it will be ready by evening.

C.J. Cox

Beans And Hominy

About an hour before the beans are done in crockpot, I add some drained white hominy. Use 2 big cans of white hominy, rinse and add to crockpot. I serve with chopped onions and chopped cilantro and put out a bottle of Cholula sauce or salsa. Hominy is in Mex Food Section WalMart carries it.

I usually use an old ham bone and some ham, the best is cheap. Smoked hamhocks cooked with the beans are the BEST! Great, now I want some!

By meoowmom

Quick Soak And Slow Cook

I "quick soak" the pintos. Pick through them and bring them to a boil in a regular pot. Once there, cover, turn off the heat and let them sit that way for an hour. Then pour into a colander and rinse. You do NOT want to cook beans in the soaking water. Then, add them to the crock pot with fresh water, a ham hock and a little bit of salt. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for the rest of the weekend if you want. Serve with onion, tomato, corn bread and plenty of hot sauce.

By Dave

June 20, 2012 Flag

This is a great recipe for any time. Great in the summer for around the campfire and also good and hearty in the colder weather months.

February 28, 2012 Flag

If I cook some pinto beans with bacon in my crockpot, can I soak them overnight, then put them on low for a day to cook?

By Rob from Reno, NV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use my crock pot all the time with dried beans. Yes, soak the bean overnight in enough water to cover the beans plus about three inches of water.

Next morning drain off the soaking water, and then rinse the beans in cold water. Put the beans back into the crock pot with enough water to cover them plus about an inch and a half, cover and cook-add the bacon about two hours before serving the beans.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Crockpot CookingMay 19, 2013
Slow Cooker
Converting Recipes for a Slow Cooker
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 6:13:49 AM on 10.0.2.102 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.