Crafts Using Fleece

Fleece is a popular fabric for use in craft projects of all sorts. This is a guide about crafts using fleece.

Fleece Hat, Gloves and Scarf
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have just joined the site and thought you might like to see a rug made from recycled fleece jackets. They are very cheap to buy in the charity shops, there are some brilliant colors and make a super rug.

Rag Rug From Recycled Fleece Clothing

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I received a nice fluffy fleece throw, but it it too warm for me. How else can I use it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fleece doesn't ravel. So if you'd like, you can cut it into strips and make winter scarves. Frankly, I like Janet's idea to use it to add color and texture in your home. The foot of the bed is a popular place to display something colorful or over a chair.

Read More Answers...

Last winter after being cold from our single pane sliding glass door and not having the money to replace it, we bought a large piece of polar fleece to cover the window. (It's an 6 X 8 Foot window, I looked online for the best deal and ordered 3 or 4 yards of 60 inch wide good quality fleece. I think it cost about $50.)

Although it is not transparent (so does give you a bit of a blocked in feeling when closed), it does an amazing job as an insulating curtain both for the summer and the winter. We noticed a big difference. You could also buy a bunch of the little lap blankets when they are on sale and use them for smaller windows or sew them together for bigger ones. The key is to have the fleece at least an inch or two bigger on the sides and top of the window. Fit it close to the window opening so no cold can get through the edges. We used push pins to hang it close to the opening.

When it is sunny, you can tie open the curtains to get some solar heat. You can hang some more decorative curtains over the fleece so it looks better. It definitely cut our gas bill during the coldest part of the winter.

If any of you have done something similar or try this, let us know.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Instead of buying super expensive fleece hammocks and bedding for ferrets or other small fuzzy animals, I buy old fleece winter hats and baby blankets from the thrift stores.

The hats that have ties or velcro straps can be secured to the sides of the cage. My fuzzies love them and they are so cheap I can toss them out when they get too worn out or unwashable.

By akGirl from Anchorage, AK

I have little squares of fleece leftover from making blankets. Any suggestions for uses?

Connie from Owosso

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use my scraps to make teddy bears to donate to law enforcement agencies to give to kids who have been in accidents or domestic abuse situations. They're nothing fancy, but they're soft and cuddly. It gives kids something to hold on to. I found a simple one piece pattern on the internet. Cut two pieces the same for front and back. I bought eyes and noses since I was afraid to use buttons. The features could be embroidered if you wanted to. I used my copier to enlarge/reduce the pattern to use with different size scraps. To dress up the bears I put a ribbon bow around the neck and tacked it several places to keep it in place.

Read More Answers...

Red fleece scarf with stars.I have made beautiful red scarves out of the fleece from the remnant bin at Walmart. I thought this pattern and design might be beautiful and I was right!

I dearly love to make fleece scarves, and I wear them all the time because they are so soft and warm. I buy the yard remnants and I was able to make five scarves out of a remnant that cost less than five dollars.

A good tip would be to buy a new pair of scissors each year that you plan to make scarves. The kids wear out my scissors, so it is easiest to buy a cheap but new pair of scissors.

I fold the fabric in half and cut the scarves as wide as I like to have them. They are all a yard long. I like to make the wider scarves. I have made less wide ones, but the wide ones are warmer and more popular!

Then I cut the fringe on each end. I like my fringe to be as long as my index finger at least. I don't really measure, I just estimate it from sight.

The scarves they sell at Walmart are beautiful, but we chose to buy fancy hats and make our own scarves this year. Fleece from the remnant bin is so warm. The scarves for sale at Walmart are not as warm as the ones I make, they are more for fashion.

I saw on here how a reader made a felt flower she planned to put on her fleece scarves. I am going to do that also. Soon I will make pink scarves for Valentine's, although I might have to buy the pink fleece.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

I always make cute little things out of fleece, which I love the feel of. There are always little bits left after making no sew fleece mini pillows.

I take the little bit of fleece, and cut little legs on either side of the little scrap, and then pull it to stretch it. It looks like a little bug. You can draw eyes on them or just leave them.

They are a big hit with the little kids and the animals try to steal them all the time.

Finished bug on laptop palm rest.
      Piece of pink fleece.Cutting legs down the length of the piece.View of finished bug from underside.
      CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I use fleece scrapes for?

By dd

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use mine for making rag rug pictures.

Crafts FabricJuly 17, 2013
      Making Fleece Hand Warmers
      Making Fleece Hand Warmers
      Fleece Fabric
      Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
      Craft Using Fleece
      Crafts Using Fleece Scraps
      two fleece puppy pillows
      Making Scrap Fleece Puppy Pillows
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 9:04:56 PM on 10.0.2.6 in 492 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.