Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts Using Fleece

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Fleece Hat, Gloves and Scarf

Fleece is a popular fabric for use in craft projects of all sorts. This is a guide about crafts using fleece.

Solutions: Crafts Using Fleece

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Craft: Rag Rug from Recycled Fleece Clothing

Rag Rug From Recycled Fleece ClothingI have just joined the site and thought you might like to see a rug made from recycled fleece jackets. They are very cheap to buy in the charity shops, there are some brilliant colors and make a super rug. Animals particularly like the cozy feel and I suppose they could be made with the name of the dog/cat. For a large rug, hessian needs to be fixed on to a stretcher and needs to be quite taught. Cut fleece garments or throws into long half inch strips and work with holding the strip under the hessian and poking a hook. I used a large crochet hook, through the hessian and picking up a loop through the hole. I continued with loops close to each other following the design drawn on the hessian with marker pen, leaving a border for folding under. I used double sided carpet tape to fold the edges over but copydex is good. I then covered the back and glued the edges of a square of hessian tucking in a hem for neatness. Isobel

Tip: Thrifty Fleece for Ferret Furnishings

Instead of buying super expensive fleece hammocks and bedding for ferrets or other small fuzzy animals, I buy old fleece winter hats and baby blankets from the thrift stores.

The hats that have ties or velcro straps can be secured to the sides of the cage. My fuzzies love them and they are so cheap I can toss them out when they get too worn out or unwashable.

By akGirl from Anchorage, AK

Tip: Using Polar Fleece for Curtains

Last winter after being cold from our single pane sliding glass door and not having the money to replace it, we bought a large piece of polar fleece to cover the window. (It's an 6 X 8 Foot window, I looked online for the best deal and ordered 3 or 4 yards of 60 inch wide good quality fleece. I think it cost about $50.)

Although it is not transparent (so does give you a bit of a blocked in feeling when closed), it does an amazing job as an insulating curtain both for the summer and the winter. We noticed a big difference. You could also buy a bunch of the little lap blankets when they are on sale and use them for smaller windows or sew them together for bigger ones. The key is to have the fleece at least an inch or two bigger on the sides and top of the window. Fit it close to the window opening so no cold can get through the edges. We used push pins to hang it close to the opening.

When it is sunny, you can tie open the curtains to get some solar heat. You can hang some more decorative curtains over the fleece so it looks better. It definitely cut our gas bill during the coldest part of the winter.

If any of you have done something similar or try this, let us know.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Fleece Fiddle Bugs

I always make cute little things out of fleece, which I love the feel of. There are always little bits left after making no sew fleece mini pillows.

I take the little bit of fleece, and cut little legs on either side of the little scrap, and then pull it to stretch it. It looks like a little bug. You can draw eyes on them or just leave them.

They are a big hit with the little kids and the animals try to steal them all the time.

Finished bug on laptop palm rest.Piece of pink fleece.Cutting legs down the length of the piece.View of finished bug from underside.

By

Tip: Craft: Red Fleece Scarves

Red fleece scarf with stars.I have made beautiful red scarves out of the fleece from the remnant bin at Walmart. I thought this pattern and design might be beautiful and I was right!

I dearly love to make fleece scarves, and I wear them all the time because they are so soft and warm. I buy the yard remnants and I was able to make five scarves out of a remnant that cost less than five dollars.

A good tip would be to buy a new pair of scissors each year that you plan to make scarves. The kids wear out my scissors, so it is easiest to buy a cheap but new pair of scissors.

I fold the fabric in half and cut the scarves as wide as I like to have them. They are all a yard long. I like to make the wider scarves. I have made less wide ones, but the wide ones are warmer and more popular!

Then I cut the fringe on each end. I like my fringe to be as long as my index finger at least. I don't really measure, I just estimate it from sight.

The scarves they sell at Walmart are beautiful, but we chose to buy fancy hats and make our own scarves this year. Fleece from the remnant bin is so warm. The scarves for sale at Walmart are not as warm as the ones I make, they are more for fashion.

I saw on here how a reader made a felt flower she planned to put on her fleece scarves. I am going to do that also. Soon I will make pink scarves for Valentine's, although I might have to buy the pink fleece.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crafts Using Fleece.

Question: Crafts Using Fleece Fabric Scraps

What can I use fleece scrapes for?

By dd

Most Recent Answer

By Isobel Gregory09/03/2012

I use mine for making rag rug pictures.

RE: Crafts Using Fleece Fabric Scraps

Question: Uses for Fleece Scraps

I have little squares of fleece leftover from making blankets. Any suggestions for uses?

Connie from Owosso

Most Recent Answer

By Molly McGee04/03/2010

I use my scraps to make teddy bears to donate to law enforcement agencies to give to kids who have been in accidents or domestic abuse situations. They're nothing fancy, but they're soft and cuddly. It gives kids something to hold on to. I found a simple one piece pattern on the internet. Cut two pieces the same for front and back. I bought eyes and noses since I was afraid to use buttons. The features could be embroidered if you wanted to. I used my copier to enlarge/reduce the pattern to use with different size scraps. To dress up the bears I put a ribbon bow around the neck and tacked it several places to keep it in place.