Dental Work Without Insurance

I myself don't need dental work, but my family and I are in serious need of information on how to get dental work done for my father. My father is a disabled man who is 44 years old. He receives Social Security disability (not SSI). He also receives Medicare, but as you know Medicare does not cover dental. Our local DHHS will not give him Medicaid because they say his income is too high.

Here is the list of things my father has gone through in the past few years. 3 years ago he had a massive stroke, blood vessel in brain burst, the doctors say he is lucky to be alive. The stroke caused serious complications including learning how to eat, walk, talk, etc. He also has seizures from time to time, both gran mal and petit mal seizures. He suffers from serious rheumatoid arthritis, he is losing weight and bone mass as we speak. He hasn't had a solid meal in 3 years. He is on an all liquid diet. In the past he has had multiple blood clots, caused from a blood disease. He is on all types of medications for these problems (too many to talk about) way too many. 3 years ago his teeth started rotting out causing a very bad infection which he has had now for years. It won't go away because he needs serious help. He is in so much pain that it takes everything in him to get out of bed. I'd say he is 80% bed ridden. As of now he has 2 teeth left with a bad infection. Now we have all learned that tooth infection can cause serious damage. He is a stroke survivor with many other issues.

He needs dental surgery ASAP. Of course he can't afford his own dental insurance and the new affordable dental care program won't take him because he needs this dental work done in a surgical room. We have been told it needs to be done at U of M Hospital. This is a medical necessity! For 3 years now we all have struggled to get him back to where he needs to be. No one will give us answers or even try to help. We've been told in order for him to get Medicaid he needs to take away Medicare, but if he does that then he still makes too much money for Medicaid. If he can't afford to live then why would we do that? Any answers or information or anything would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced. God Bless.

The National Council for Aging site below has resources for dental care outside of Medicare that may help. You do not provide your location, however, if there are dental schools in your area, they provide low cost dental care.

http://drivease  ING_SERVICES.pdf

Are you in the US? Have you tried calling Affordable Dentures? They're a national chain that provides extractions and dentures at super affordable prices and they take Care Credit and offer payment plans. Last I checked an extraction was $70. Even if the closest one is far, if your father is able to make the trip, it's worth it. If not are their any colleges with dental schools in your area? They will sometimes provide FREE dental extractions for the invaluable training their students receive. I hope you find relief for your dad soon and hope he shows signs of improvement. You're really a great kid for taking care of him the way you are!