Distinguishing Real Leather From Fake

Fake leather can look pretty authentic. Knowing what to look for will help you in distinguishing real leather from fake.

August 6, 2010 Flag

The other day, we were all talking about buying new furniture and about how to distinguish real leather from fake leather. I had never given it much thought as I am not interested in my furniture being leather although it does have it's benefits. My boss told me she looked into a real leather sofa and the gentleman helping her told her you could be sure you were buying real leather by how many seams it has in it. I looked puzzled, so she continued to explain that fake leather has fewer seams because real leather was taken from hides and there was no animal alive that could cover a whole sofa. Sure made great sense to me. So if you are in the market for a real leather sofa or chair be sure to check how many seams it has in it.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

The "sniff test" usually does the trick. If the sofa is vinyl (polyurethane) it will smell like plastic.

February 9, 2010 Flag

If your sofa has a very high gloss and feels very stiff/inflexible, it is very likely that it is bi-cast and not genuine leather.

By COLORCARE from Malaga, Spain

Editor's Note: Here is a link to a Wikipedia entry on Bi-cast Leather

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Leather Sofa
Buying a Leather Sofa
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersJanuary 26, 2017
Leather Couch
Are Leather Couches Kid Friendly?
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 1:07:18 AM on 10.0.0.193 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.