Dog With Itchy Skin

My dog has a very dry, itchy skin problem. I bathe him with oatmeal shampoo and give him one fish oil tablet a day but how do I get rid of it? The poor thing is scratching like no tomorrow.

Dayle from Central Coast, NSW

Answers:

Dog With Itchy Skin

I read that milk of magnesia does wonders for human skin, I wonder if it would help your dog?

I. (02/04/2008)

By irene

Dog With Itchy Skin

Your dog could have a flea allergy but it's not just due to fleas. 'Chiggers' and other little biting bugs can cause an allergy, too. My sister's little dog has this problem and she tried everything under the sun. The only thing that worked was a 'flea shot' at the vet. (02/04/2008)

By Kalar

Dog With Itchy Skin

Check your dog food before medicating your dog! We were buying our pug a name brand dog food and he had horrible skin problems. The vet recommended the Benadryl, when that didn't work he wanted to give him steroids. The poor things hair was falling out and he scratch continually. I did some research into dog food and found an all natural high quality food for him. Within 3 weeks he had stopped scratching and his hair had started to grow back. granted the food is a little more expensive and i have to go to the pet store to get it but it beats the cost of the medication and is a lot better for our dog. (02/05/2008)

By leslilli

Dog With Itchy Skin

Try using a product called Missing Link. It is a wonderful product that helps with the condition of your pet's skin and also makes their coat healthy and shiny. (02/05/2008)

By Jana

Dog With Itchy Skin

Where can I buy Missing Link? Thank You, Cecile (02/05/2008)

By Cecile

Dog With Itchy Skin

If this is an outside dog, make sure he does not come in contact with a certain plant called wandering jew, makes any animal itch. If it's in your garden, get rid of it. There's possibly other plants as well that he may be allergic to but this is definitely one of the worst. Good luck, sincerely Kay from country NSW OZ (02/05/2008)

By Kay

Dog With Itchy Skin

Switch dog food to lamb and rice. It makes a world of difference for our dog. (02/05/2008)

By jlouisensam

Dog With Itchy Skin

Try switching his food as he may be having food allergies.

Also, try using "missing link", this product is a miracle worker when it comes to skin and joint problems. I purchase online from 1-800 PETMEDS. (02/06/2008)

By Theresa

Dog With Itchy Skin

Hello. I do animal rescue volunteer work, and when I see an itchy dog, I immediately suspect mange (mites in the skin or hair folicle).

Two types of mange are common to us- one resides in the dog's hair follicle (Demodex), and one that chews through skin (Sarcoptic). They eventually lose hair with Demodex mange, and get wild with itch with Sarcoptic mange. (Dog will eventually tear holes in itself to try to stem the itch.)

The vet can do a simple skin scraping to tell if your dog has it, and prescribe a medication that kills it. Sarcoptic in particular is very easily gotten rid of. Good luck (02/06/2008)

By Janet

Dog With Itchy Skin

I've had good luck with a shampoo called "Malaseb" by DVM Pharmacueticals. I got it from the vet's office, but I see if you do an internet search you can find it at a variety of places. Kind of pricey, but it's really reduced the amount of scratching and licking my shih-tzu does. My vet also recommended that I wash her once a week with the stuff. Good luck! (02/07/2008)

By khilde80

Dog With Itchy Skin

Try using Advantage! (02/08/2008)

By Chicklet

Dog With Itchy Skin

Don't bathe him too often - it can dry out his skin and make him more itchy. I have 2 Poms and they get bathed every 3 months, at their groomings, unless they get really dirty - and even then I try not to give a complete bath if it's not needed. They get brushed thoroughly every week, and stay pretty clean. (02/08/2008)

By dj_pinkey

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A dog wearing a cone on it's head to prevent it from itching.
Home Remedy for Dog's Eczema
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
A cute beagle sitting on the floor.
My Beagle is Itching
🎉
🎄