Dog with Itchy Skin

My dog scratches all of the time. It drives me crazy. The doctor says it is an allergy. I cannot afford to take him in every month. I just do not know what to do. Please help.

By kathyjimenez from Corpus Christi, TX

Answers:

Dog with Itchy Skin

Most vets use a combo of hydro-cortisone and steroid shots to treat dogs with dry and itchy skin. A natural and far less expensive alternative is to mix about a tbsp. of Omega-3 fish oil into the dog's food once a day. (Fish Oil capsules can be purchased at Walmart for around $5 - $6.) Use a large safety-pin to puncture the capsule and squeeze oil into measure spoon. Use enough capsules to equal one tbsp. It's probably one of the most beneficial things you can do because it treats the problem from the inside out and boosts immunity.

Another quick fix is a warm bath with oatmeal. Take 1-2 cups of plain oatmeal and place them in blender. Blend until you have a fine powder. Sprinkle into a lukewarm bath, making sure no clumps form and the oatmeal is evenly dissolved. Let your dog sit in the water for 10-15 minutes. Scoop the water up and massage into dog's fur so that the oatmeal water can reach and coat the skin. Obviously you can adjust the water/oatmeal ratio depending on dog's size.

Good luck! (07/23/2009)

By Cali's Mom

Dog with Itchy Skin

I have a staffy who is 9 years old. After spending heaps at the vet, I came across this tip and it works great! Take 3 green tea bags, soak in a liter of hot water, add fresh or dried mint. Add enough cold water to make it warm, pour over your dog, and let dry naturally. The green tea stops the itch and the mint repels the fleas. (07/27/2009)

By luvinh

Dog with Itchy Skin

My dog was like that. He ended up being allergic to corn, which is in most dog food. When I switched to a corn free diet, he got better. (07/27/2009)

By mulberry204

Dog with Itchy Skin

I heard on this site one time about a homemade itch reliever. In a spray bottle put one part Listerine (original flavor, I used Walmart brand), one part baby oil, and one part water. Always shake it up before spraying on the dog. I spray every time I see her really getting a good scratch in. It seems to work. At first it doesn't work as well, but keep on trying it. It doesn't smell too bad either. (07/27/2009)

By sassier299

Dog with Itchy Skin

I give my dog some pills that are sold at Walmart in pet dept. It is brewer's yeast for healthy coats and skin. It works well. I give my dog one daily. Good luck. (09/07/2009)

By meoowmom

Dog with Itchy Skin

Witch hazel also works pretty well. Put a sprayer on the witch hazel bottle and spray the area and rub it in.

There is also a product called "Bitter Apple" but that doesn't treat the problem. It just leaves a bitter taste on the fur so they won't chew on themselves.

Also, check to see what the dog is laying/sitting on most of the time. Sometimes after carpeting is cleaned there is a chemical residue left behind and many animals/babies are allergic to it; the only solution I know of is to steam clean your carpets yourself just using plain hot water. A rug Doctor is best since you can suck up the chemicals and leave only water behind.

Also, try not to bathe the dog too often, it can dry out the skin and make them itch. You can try Aveeno body wash, which has an oatmeal base and is very gentle on the skin. (09/07/2009)

By wolfbytez

Dog with Itchy Skin

I have a mostly white terrier mix who starts scratching incessantly every summer. This summer I couldn't afford a vet trip so I went online for help. Someone suggested it might be an airborne allergy problem (especially since it's seasonal) and said that you can give Benadryl to dogs. The dose was 1 mg/lb of body weight. I first used the liquid dye-free children's Benadryl which really helped. When that ran out I bought the tablets and put one 25 mg tablet in a bit of peanut butter (he's 30 lbs) and gave it to him every 4-6 hrs. Completely saved our poor puppy from his itching. The sores healed and his hair grew back. Hope this helps others with the same problem. (11/06/2009)

By nkpug

RE: Dog with Itchy Skin

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A dog itching in the grass.
Relieving Itching for Dogs
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
A cute beagle sitting on the floor.
My Beagle is Itching
🎉
🎄