Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

If you use fabric softener, is it safe to use the dryer lint to put out for the birds to line their nest? Would it be dangerous for the baby birds? I know you are not suppose to rub the sheets on your animals.

By Lapras from TX

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

I do not know if it is safe, but I have seen it locally in nests---then saw they were getting it under my porch, where the duct exits the house. It is good to save for firestarters, along with pinecones, paper junk mail, etc, to use in winter to get the fire going. (04/07/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

You can avoid using artificial fabric softener by using vinegar instead and putting dryer balls in your dryer. I picked mine up at the dollar store. I get a little static after drying fleece blankets but a little shake gets it out. Then it is safe to put your dryer lint out for the birds, and they love it. (04/11/2009)

By msspider

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

It is safe. I use the plastic onion sacks and put dryer lint, snake skins (we have reptile pets), dog fur, yarn, etc. in them and hang from trees for the birds in our area. We use softener sheets in our dryer, but they do not affect the birds per our state DEM website. (04/11/2009)

By njdespres

Get rid of it. It is highly flammable. Not true that it is only from the dryer. You don't see the lint that goes out the washer water. In the old days washers had filters you had to clean and there was a lot more lint there than from dryers. Put it in the trash.

Uses for Dryer Lint
Uses for Dryer Lint
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
Removing Bird Poop Stains