Drying Flowers

Save some of those beautiful flowers gracing your garden by drying them. This is a guide about drying flowers.

Pansies being pressed in a large book
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 27, 2010 Flag

Lay the open side toward the spine of a book, slightly press open the larger ones to assure they will lay flat. Then slowly close the book, watching to make sure you don't bend a petal. This book is full of all sorts of leaves and blossoms.

Pansies being pressed in a large book

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2008 Flag

I'm hoping someone will give me 'tried and true' instructions on how to dry fresh flowers. My daughter is getting married soon and although it's unconventional, she has promised to give me her bridal bouquet as a memento of that special day.

We are extremely close, so her gift to me will be very special and precious. I would much prefer some advice from someone who has actually done it successfully. Websites are sometimes a hit or miss affair.

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I used this product bought from Walmart about 7 years ago, sold in the craft section. I bought the can for the same reason and preserved my daughter's bouquet. Since then I have used the same crystals for many other flowers. The box will tell you step by step directions. She still has her roses that we dried and put onto a grapevine wreath for her home. You just get a shoe box with lid put some granuals in the box add your flowers and add more granuals to each little crack and crevice, keep layering with the mixture then cover in dark closed area for like 7 days you'll find then dry and ready to use. After done put you mixture in a shallow pan and let dry out in the sun then put back in your container for other uses later. This stuff will last you forever as long as you dry it out good after each use. It's called flower drying art silica gel, but its like sand. Good luck.

Best Answer

As said earlier some flowers will not dry out and stay together but I do this professionally for my business, and all you have to do is remove flowers from form and rubber band together and hang from say your curtain rod. It takes from 1-4 weeks depending on moisture in the air, but it works well after they are dry spray with hairspray to keep intact.

That silica is great stuff. It works well. Just make sure that the flowers you 'dry' are kept out of moist areas of the house. Moisture can cause them to become moldy.

I've used the Flower Art Drying too. Just be warned, if your daughter has peonies, they will not dry. I learned that the hard way with my bouquet.

February 26, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about how to press flowers. Pressed flowers can be used in many craft projects. Pressing them is also a way to preserve special blooms.

Pressed plum blossoms

February 26, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about drying flowers in a bridal bouquet. One way to preserve your bridal bouquet is by drying the flowers.

Drying Flowers in a Bridal Bouquet

July 5, 2006 Flag

How do you dry a rose to keep it forever?

Cassie from Dublin

Try Dry Ice.

April 23, 2012 Flag

Just pick the flowers with the stems on and put them in a vase of water. Leave them in the vase and replenish the water as needed, until the daffodil flowers are completely dry. It takes about a week. I don't know why they dry so well this way, but it is simple and works great. I use the dried heads in wreath making.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

April 27, 2010 Flag

We have beautiful flowers in our country like roses and carnations. I would like to dry them without changing their color. Any ideas how I can do it? Thanks.

By Dorothy

Answers:

Drying Flowers

After being in the floral business 34 years and speaking from experience, you will not be able to preserve the color of the chosen blooms to dry them. You can hang them upside down and tied together in a cool dry location, dark is good until they are dried. You should be able to buy at a craft store or online, a floral spray mist/tint, this will help to bring the color up some but it will not bring it back to the original natural color.

Also, carnations are known to shrivel up and become not all that attractive once dried. Roses hang upside down while still a bit closed as they will open a little more once hung to dry. A hook cut from wire is best to use. Rubber band the bottom of the stems 3 or 4 to a group, slide the hook in and under the rubber band and then put the other end of the hook over a coat hanger and pinch closed. Hang up the coat hanger in the basement or attic, garage or even a closet if you have room, should take about 2 weeks to be completely dry. Don't put too many together or they will mold and get smelly, not to forget it will not be attractive on the blooms.

Hope this will give you inspiration to go forth with this project! (09/22/2009)

By Beau D

September 21, 2009 Flag

Tips and ideas for drying flowers. Feel free to post your ideas.

Answers:

Drying Flowers

Even with the increased popularity of plastic and fiber flowers (silk for example), many people still prefer "the real thing" preserved in a lifelike manner. Flower preservation has become a popular hobby. Flowers such as marigolds, zinnias, goldenrod, yarrow, roses, and hydrangeas are readily available and the costs of additional materials needed are relatively inexpensive when compared to that of other hobbies.

You can preserve colored fall leaves, magnolia leaves (for wreaths) and mistletoe (for holiday decorations) with glycerin, giving them a very natural appearance. Many people like to preserve the flowers from a wedding bouquet.

Preserving flowers and foliage can be fun year round. Some of the more common methods employed to preserve flowers and foliage are covered below.
(08/01/2007)

By lewis_admin

January 24, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have the instructions for drying flowers in the microwave using kitty litter?

Deb

Answers:

FEEDBACK

I'd recommend using the new dessicating litter. It really is the same as silica for flower drying. I don't know if clay litter would work. By using the microwave you can take several days off the drying process.

1. Make sure to leave a 1" long stem on each flower so you can attach florist's wire to it later. Never put any wire or metal in your microwave.
  2. Put some kitty litter in a microwave-safe dish. Make a shallow spot in the middle just large enough for your flower to sit in, head side up if possible, if not, lay the flower on it's side.
  3. Sprinkle more kitty litter on top of your flower as gently as possible until it is completely covered.
  4. Cook the dish in the microwave for 60 seconds on high if you are drying thin-petaled flowers like pansies. For thicker petaled flowers, like roses, add another 60 seconds.
  5. The dish will be very hot so be careful. Let the dish and kitty litter cool down completely, before you carefully remove the flower. If it is not cooled completely the flower will still be limp and will lose it's shape.

Use a small, soft paint brush to gently brush off any leftover litter. (12/01/2000)

By admin2

drying flowers

I used to work in a flower shop, and I've seen attempts at the "kitty litter method", I've never heard of using a microwave. If these flowers are something you truly want to last, ie. a wedding bouquet. Don't mess around with kitty litter or your microwave. If you are really serious about saving them as a keepsake you will want to pay the money to have it done professionally or do a little more research and do it yourself in a professional manner.(12/01/2000)

By admin2

October 24, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Crafts FloralJune 17, 2012
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dried Carrots
Drying Vegetables
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 7:05:06 PM on 10.0.0.25 in 806 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.