Duct Tape Residue on a Car

My friend had to quickly duct tape plastic over a broken car window, and after the rain subsided and the Florida sun baked it for a while, the tape left sticky residue on the car's paint job. Does anybody know what to use to remove the residue that will not hurt the paint finish? Thank you.

Lisa

Answers:

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

Been there and done that. You might try putting a few drops of automatic transmission fluid on a rag and rubbing the goo. It worked very well for me. Make sure you remove all residue from the paint. (08/10/2005)

By Zorrosbabe

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

Citrus oil will remove it without damaging the paint. (08/10/2005)

By Dennis

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

WD-40 will get the tape residue off of your friend's car without hurting paint job. (08/10/2005)

By evlevo85

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

I used spray olive oil, car wash fluid, and then rubbed it with a cotton shirt, then threw water on it. (07/29/2007)

By kiwiirwin

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

WD40 is awesome. Comes right off. (10/05/2007)

By Kelly

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

WD-40 works, but very tedious. I have a lot of sticky stuff on my truck though. (12/09/2007)

By Jamal

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

I had a phone that I bought from a flea market that had been taped, long ago, to hold the handset onto the base. I tried alcohol and WD-40 and all they did was smear it and pretty much make it worse.

I didn't want to go out and buy anything, seeing as the phone had only cost me two dollars, so I used something that has worked other miracles for me, in the past: tea tree oil. I just wet a dishrag with it and wiped over and over and then clean wiped it with a dry spot on the rag. Worked great. (07/31/2008)

By Kara

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

Any of the following will work great:

• nail polish remover
  • cooking oil
  • WD-40
  • Goo Gone
  • lighter fluid

I used a razor blade to scrape off the excess residue. Works great. (09/25/2008)

By Ashley

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

Just wanted to report that we are cleaning our house after the whole Hurricane Ike incident. Our back room has huge 3.5 x 3.5 plate glass windows that we covered in duct tape. Its been there about 3 weeks now.

I tired alcohol, baby oil, and nail polish remover on it and none of them worked. On a whim I grabbed some sticky tack and started to rub that on it and it came off so easily. I was astonished. So whatever you have duct tape residue on, try sticky tack.
(10/05/2008)

By Stacy

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

I tried WD40, Goof Off, paint thinner, mineral spirits, and Mr.Clean Magic Eraser with little success. By far the best on my car was denatured alcohol rubbing with a soft cloth. When I got to the windows I used a paint scraper (razor blade in holder), and then I was shocked when using on the painted surface I scraped it off without damaging the car's paint. More denatured alcohol and perfect. (06/22/2009)

By rhg1147

Duct Tape Residue on a Car

Starting fluid (ether) works really well and fast. Just be sure to use it in an open area with no smokers or other combustion potential nearby. You can get spray cans of it at auto supply stores. (07/18/2009)

By NCrich

Duct Tape Residue on a Car
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From a Car
Making a Duct Tape Bow
Making a Duct Tape Bow
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
🎄