Entertainment and Activities for Older Adults

Just because you've gotten a little older doesn't mean you can't have some fun. This is a guide about entertainment and activities for older adults.

January 31, 2005 Flag

After 50+ yrs of marriage I am now a widow. How do I become a content and successful single? I need ideas for entertaining, travel, and meals.

Thanks,
Lady Bet

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check out your local senior center activities! I used to be a center director, and the services provided are amazing. Things like dance classes, lowcost lunches, health screenings and information, quilting groups, book clubs, special events, exercise classes. And it's all free or very low priced.

The best part is, you get to be around friendly, happy people your own age. I met some of the happiest people there.

Participate in their volunteer opportunities, too. You can answer phones, serve dinners, deliver meals to the homebound, or help with fundraising. All the volunteers I worked with said it was the best thing for their own health and attitude.

zballoongirl

Do the same things you used to do, except for the things you didn't really like. Then add some new things your partner didn't really like.

It's okay to go to movies and restaurants alone, by the way. Bring a book to read, a sketchbook, some needlework, or something else to keep you busy while waiting.

Taking up some (or more) volunteer work, taking an informal class, and visiting the library are good ways to find things to do. Also, check out the local tourist sites, surf the Web, or join a gym.

Keep inviting your friends to do things and answering their invitations. See if anyone is up for something extra.

Thank you: Great ideas. I will start doing at least a couple today. Bet

I know of a lot of churches who would be glad for your help in serving the needy in their local soup kitchen. Working with the your city's local soup kitchen is an idea. Developing friendships with others helping the needy is such an encouragement. Also other areas of the church most prbably would be in need of your help.

My husband died 12-20-04. I am 58, we was 62. We had been married 37+ years. We never did anything alone, we were always together even the grocery shopping. He had been retired 7 years. Life was more than beautiful. Now I do not see how i can even life through today let alone tomorrow. Travel? Entertaining? Meals? (who can eat). I am puzzled with your whole question. Mine would be, how do I continue living.

Check with your county: Some have local groups of seniors that get together once a month for a lunch. Then you meat new people. Some times the Library may have a senior get together also. The library also has videos you can get out and it does not cost anything, unless you forget to return them. Possibly some of the seniors that get together would enjoy having a movie at there home. People can take turns who entertains. There may be churches that have something your interested in also. Most counties have art groups, groups that do creative writing etc... Just a thought.

December 27, 2014 Flag

My mom, age 83, recently was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She was a pretty terrific artist, but now can not concentrate for any length of time so can no longer do her arts and crafts. She is very bored at home just watching TV with the home aide (who does not drive). I have suggested reading, writing, sculpting, and surfing the internet, none appeal to her. She does not have a lot of stamina and is easily frustrated. Any ideas of things to keep her mind engaged?

By Barbara N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do not know where your mother lives so cannot offer specific possibilities. However, many cities and towns have very popular and successful senior centers that offer arts, exercize, quilting, ceramics, etc. Many even have a mini-bus service to and from the center. There are also adult education classes offered in many areas.

You might investigate the possibilities and available transportation services in your mother's area.

Additional information I meant to add-your mother could also benefit being with other seniors who may difficulties themselves. These senior centers offer excellent opportunities for social interaction your mother may not have and need just sitting at home.

July 25, 2011 Flag

I love to read the short inspirational novels, the Love Inspired and Harlequin, but they are all geared to younger adults. I would love to read stories about baby boomers or 50+. Does anyone know of a series or author that writes this type of novel?

By Wanda S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

These aren't exactly romance novels but romantic novels of the old type. I recommend anything by Daphne DuMaurier, the English novelist. Also, there were a lot of well-made novels written 1900-1960. Try to browse among those esp. those by female novelists.

A few years ago I heard that there was supposed to start being some of the Harlequin books that would be about senior citizens. But I never found any, so I'm guessing they must not have amounted to much. Today I just finished reading one in the Super Romance category that the main woman was in her 30s and the man was in his 40s. It is called Return to the Black Hills by Debra Salonen. It came out in April of this year. I couldn't get real interested in it, I thought it was kind of boring, but then the woman was into action type sports and thrills. The reason I picked it is because of the setting in SD, and I am from SD. I am 71 years old and don't mind reading about younger romance.

If you like a variety of stories that fall in the age group you mentioned you might want to try a copy of Reminisce magazine. I think I spelled that right. The same company that put out that magazine out puts out a similar one called Reminisce Extra I think. They are both diverse and I used to love reading the stories and articles of the mag. I don't know how often they are put out but a subscription would give you a variety of stories on a regular basis. There may even be books now with culminations of their stories over the years. They have been around a long time and I can only assume they are still around.I read them back in the 90's and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Why don't you write to Harlequin and request such things. It may not have occurred to them to try this age group. I think they would write stories for any age for which there was a market.

I write romance novels for baby boomers, but finding a publisher is like finding the needle in the proverbial haystack!

There are so many of us who are over fifty and want to read romance books where the hero and heroine are older. But, again, few - if any - publishers are accepting manuscripts for this age group. Harlequin did start a romance line with older characters some years ago, but they didn't continue it. I have written several category romances for an older market and, with luck and the right publisher, they will eventually be available. For the time being, my new book, All About Charming Alice, will be coming on on August 12th. It is published by Crimson Romance and the hero and heroine are certainly in their late forties or fifties!

Entertainment AdviceJanuary 7, 2014
Parents and Child Playing a Video Game
Spending Less on Entertainment
Free Entertainment Ideas, Mother and Daughter Playing in a Fountain
Free Entertainment Ideas
Woman playing Wii
Saving Money on Wii Games
man playing guitar
Saving Money On Wedding Entertainment
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2017 at 9:18:16 AM on 10.0.0.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.