Fried Cabbage and Noodles

Chop a head of cabbage and fry in a large skillet using olive oil or margarine. Boil noodles or pasta (I use shell noodles) Drain the noodles when done and mix the fried cabbage with it. Add salt and pepper. There are many variations to this inexpensive dish. You may add chopped onions to the fried cabbage, or bacon bits, sausage, etc. You may also use different kinds of pasta or seasonings like garlic powder. You can experiment but, just the cabbage and noodles themselves are a great combination.

Source: This dish is from my childhood. My grandma made it, my mother made it, I make it and now my kids make it. Don't know the amounts of the ingredients but it sure fills you up!

By Nancy from Greeneville, Tn.

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

This is a favorite recipe in our house. And whenever there is a need to bring a dish, I'm usually asked to make this. I always stick with egg noodles, rather than a shaped pasta, and the finishing touch on my cabbage and noodles? Paprika. Lots of it! I think that's the reason that mine always come out better than everyone else's. And I never put onions in mine - I didn't learn that way.

I think I might have to whip up a batch as soon as the heatwave breaks! (06/10/2008)

By mrsmutt

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

My mother in law has always made this dish, a bit different but basically the same. She says it's a Slovak dish. I make it too. I fry the chopped cabbage with onion, butter and a little olive oil in a big pot. You may think a head of cabbage will yield too much but it's amazing how it cooks down. While the veggies are cooking, I boil some egg noodles and add the cooked noodles towards the end. If it seems it is getting dry I just add a little more butter. Salt and pepper to season.

I make another similar version but use Bavarian style sauerkraut instead of cabbage. (06/11/2008)

By Debbie52

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

I love cabbage (especially fried!) and cabbage rolls, but have never thought of this. But it sounds absolutely awesome to my little Polish (well half-Polish) soul! (06/14/2008)

By bailegirl

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

This is exactly what I am eating now. My mom makes it and in our family it is a German recipe called "Graute Knuckles". My grandma made it also for my mom. Just a couple of us eat it, the rest thinks it smells. (07/16/2008)

By Michele

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

When money was tight as a young adult, this was one of my favorite meals. (12/30/2008)

By Susan

Fried Cabbage and Noodles
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage