Get Professional Photos for Free

I wanted to get some photos done but could not afford to pay anyone and did not want the typical "Sears Portrait" type photos either. I placed an ad on (you can also use or your local paper) and requested a student or photographer who was looking to expand their portfolio. I got half a dozen replies within a day, and will be working with a few people who will give me free photos in exchange for me modeling for them!

To be safe, ask if they have a website, meet up with them to check out their portfolio or get references. I chose a woman photographer who already did a lot of work so I know she was reputable. Be careful of the hobby photographer who just wants to take pictures of women! Yikes! If you're a woman and wary of going anywhere alone, bring along a male friend or partner.

You can also do the same looking for a hair/makeup student to work on you before the photographer shows up. This way you can get perfect glamor shots for free! Some of these photographs will be given as gifts for the holidays! And it was all free!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Get Professional Photos for Free

Sounds great (05/13/2009)

By flor2007

Get Professional Photos for Free

As an amateur photographer I can attest that we do need models. And not fashion models, just average looking people.

Some up and coming photographers will take pictures of you and offer photos and discs as payment. Be prepared to sign a model release saying that the pictures can be used for advertising purposes. It is up to the photographer how to use the pictures of you, It would be without giving any information as far as name of location of the model. but you might up on a billboard or in an ad, with no monetary compensation.

So if you are not willing for your picture to be made public, you might want to reconsider. (05/13/2009)

By randysgrandma

Get Professional Photos for Free

Good idea, overall, especially if one doesn't mind the chance of their photos being used without their being compensated.

I speak from personal experience about the cost of those "glamour shots." I bought only the proofs, about 12 years ago. The pics looked great, but cost around $250! Ouch! If I ever have my photos done again, I'll strongly consider this suggestion. (05/13/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Get Professional Photos for Free

Yes be very careful. I have worked in photolabs for 20 years and have twice caught people taking photos of young women for their own perverseness. I am also a photographer myself and do know a lot of other photographers who are quite creditable, but there are some out there who are not. (05/13/2009)

By vickie 996

Get Professional Photos for Free

This may also be good for pictures of your pets. But as always, be careful. And I would stay away from Craig's List considering what has happened lately. (05/13/2009)

By teacher310

Professional Portrait Photographer
Saving Money on Professional Photographs
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Shortbread cookies.
Gluten Free Shortbread Recipes
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections