Getting Rid of Ants in a Vegetable Garden

Ants eat some plants and are notorious for farming aphids in the garden. This guide is about getting rid of ants in a vegetable garden.

March 6, 2012 Flag

I have a real problem with ants every spring when I go to re-energize my gardens. I have a lot of gardens and it seems almost every one gets taken over by ants. The only safe/organic way I know is grits and it takes so long and so many treatments. Does anyone know a better way, that is still safe for my fruit and flowers?

By Klaraine from Venus, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The safest, cheapest, quickest way to repel most bugs and pests in the yard & garden that I've found is diatomaceous earth. There are some companies you can get it from on the internet, but the cheapest place to first check is your local feed supply. Hope this helps you!

A friend of mine uses a tea made with hot peppers. She takes the hottest peppers she can find and choppers them very finely with the seeds and adds them to a pot of boiling water, lets them steep over night. She reheats the pot with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, pours it hot down the holes. later in the day she takes her boot and closes the holes.

Another friend takes a slurry of baking soda and water and uses a baster to push it in the whole. A short time later she does the same with vinegar. He says the if it is a big colony the ground may puff a little. The acid and alkaline cancel each other out.

My community garden plot was infested with ants when I took it over. I tried all kinds of organic solutions. Diluted dish soap, diatomaceous earth, cinnamon, orange peels, you name it, to no permanent avail.

This went on for a few years. And then I read an article about a woman putting Avon's Skin So Soft on the pole holding her bird feeder to keep the ants off. And I got an idea. Here is a permanent solution...Mix about an inch of Skin So Soft (see an Avon Representative or get it online), an inch of Ecovar or any organic dish detergent in a gallon jug. Fill with water. Just transfer what you need into a squirt bottle and apply it wherever you see ants...in the soil, around and on plants, etc. It's perfectly safe.

You'll probably have to keep applying this mixture for awhile but in a few month's you'll see a big difference. Eventually they'll be gone. I think you can even try something like canola oil if Skin So Soft is too expensive.

June 13, 2012 Flag

I want to plant some herbs, but the ground I want to use is covered with ants. What can I use to rid the ants and keep the garden fresh enough to plant the herbs?

By Jwbiz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try dry corn meal. Just sprinkle it around the area. I used it around my lemon tree and they up and left. You might have to respread the corn meal at some point. GG Vi

April 19, 2015 Flag

How can I get rid of ants in my vegetable garden?

By LuyBaby

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2014 Flag

How can I get rid of ants around my tomato plants?

By M from B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2012 Flag

I have a small raised garden in my back yard. I've enjoyed a couple of ears of lovely sweet corn. However, I've just realized ants have destroyed and eaten much of the remainder of the ears still on the stalks! How do I get rid of them, and more importantly, how do I keep this from happening next year?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlNovember 5, 2012
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:21:36 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.