Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Ants in a Vegetable Garden

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Antsin a Vegetable Garden

Ants eat some plants and are notorious for farming aphids in the garden. This guide is about getting rid of ants in a vegetable garden.

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Ants in a Vegetable Garden.

Question: Ants Around Tomato Plants

How can I get rid of ants around my tomato plants?

By M from B

Question: Ants Eating Ears of Corn

I have a small raised garden in my back yard. I've enjoyed a couple of ears of lovely sweet corn. However, I've just realized ants have destroyed and eaten much of the remainder of the ears still on the stalks! How do I get rid of them, and more importantly, how do I keep this from happening next year?

By Sandra

Question: Getting Rid of Ants in the Garden

I want to plant some herbs, but the ground I want to use is covered with ants. What can I use to rid the ants and keep the garden fresh enough to plant the herbs?

By Jwbiz

Most Recent Answer

By Vi Johnson [231]06/18/2012

Try dry corn meal. Just sprinkle it around the area. I used it around my lemon tree and they up and left. You might have to respread the corn meal at some point. GG Vi

Question: Getting Rid of Ants in the Garden Naturally

I have a real problem with ants every spring when I go to re-energize my gardens. I have a lot of gardens and it seems almost every one gets taken over by ants. The only safe/organic way I know is grits and it takes so long and so many treatments. Does anyone know a better way, that is still safe for my fruit and flowers?

By Klaraine from Venus, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon03/13/2012

My community garden plot was infested with ants when I took it over. I tried all kinds of organic solutions. Diluted dish soap, diatomaceous earth, cinnamon, orange peels, you name it, to no permanent avail.

This went on for a few years. And then I read an article about a woman putting Avon's Skin So Soft on the pole holding her bird feeder to keep the ants off. And I got an idea. Here is a permanent solution...Mix about an inch of Skin So Soft (see an Avon Representative or get it online), an inch of Ecovar or any organic dish detergent in a gallon jug. Fill with water. Just transfer what you need into a squirt bottle and apply it wherever you see ants...in the soil, around and on plants, etc. It's perfectly safe.

You'll probably have to keep applying this mixture for awhile but in a few month's you'll see a big difference. Eventually they'll be gone. I think you can even try something like canola oil if Skin So Soft is too expensive.

Solutions: Getting Rid of Ants in a Vegetable Garden

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!