Getting Rid of Asian Beetles

Often confused with Ladybugs, Asian beetles can invade your home in vast numbers. This is a guide about getting rid of Asian beetles.

November 19, 2004 Flag

I have used this idea for the past several years and it works well for me: scatter bay leaves around on window sills or anywhere else flat you can place them. It keeps them away. The next fall I do it again. I haven't been bothered since. If you have ever been bit by one of these buggers, you're willing to try anything. They are nasty.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We are plagued too. More info please !!! :)

September 5, 2012 Flag

Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide is about getting rid of lady bugs. These insects can be a nuisance in some parts of the country.

March 7, 2007 Flag

A couple warmer sunny days and the asian ladybug beetles have landed. Somewhere I saw I recipe to put in a gallon plastic jug to attract them, like a trap. Any ideas?

Diane from Mid Missouri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I heard it was 1/2 c. water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 squirt of dish soap, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Good luck.

Best Answer

An easy and less energy expensive way to get the ladybugs off the ceilings and floor in your house is to buy a big mouth 1 liter pepsi or mountain dew. After drinking fill the bottom with a little water. Since the ladybugs fall like a rock when you touch them you can just put the bottle head up and tap them into the bottle.

They are awful! I found something called "Bugmax 365" at a farm/home supply store. It WORKS! You just spray it around, and the little devils disappear for a full year!

There's no odor, you can spray it directly on fabric, etc. I don't know what I'd do without it, because we are under siege! Bugmax 365 is in a red spray bottle, but once word gets out, it's hard to find, so grab it if you see it!

What is the most effective trap that you can make from around the house?

April 21, 2016 Flag

My screened in porch is brand new (2014) and fully screened when the house was built so there shouldn't be any openings. I have a terrible problem with them entering, but I cannot figure out where. If I use a basic caulk to seal up the posts would that help keep them out?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They can be extremely pesky and fly in swarms. Buy a good insect killer at the hardware store and go all around the foundation and the area where you see them with the insecticide. OR - go to a garden shop or a local garden club for advice. I had them when I bought my house the former owner ripped out all the annuals to get rid of them.

I am not familiar with this type of beetle, but I do know that insects can get in any house at all. How? Who knows? Where I live, we have still snow on the ground on the north side of garages and thick bluffs of trees. We've had some nice days of 50 to 60 F, but today is 35 F. Dandelions are not in bloom and the grass has not started to green up in the lawn. But, last Tuesday there was a ladybird beetle in my bathroom. How it got there, I haven't a clue. I released it to the wild.

March 23, 2010 Flag

How do I get ladybug scent out of my house?

By Trudy from Trout Run, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had no clue that ladybugs smelled bad! :-o Reading the following link I just can't help but ask how many are in your home? :-o The link explains what the compounds are that create their smell but I think you're going to need to do the homework about those compounds to find out how to get rid of the odor :-(

http://pubs.acs  4/8514news1.html

In the meantime, try putting out small bowls of vinegar in out of the way places around your home because vinegar absorbs a lot of nasty odors. And maybe an exterminator can give you other ideas of how to remove the odor.

Let us know what you find out please :-)

Best Answer

They are probably not lady bugs but an orange look alike called the Asian beetle. They smell bad when smashed and stain as well. They usually get really bad in the fall during harvest as they get kicked up out of the soy plants, corn, etc. They crawl into cracks and crevices to overwinter. I haven't figured out to get them to leave on their own. I vacuum them with a dust buster or my regular vacuum. This way they don't get smashed.

Have you tried burning a candle? Good luck.

I don't know if this will work but worth a try. Fill a spray bottle with water and put in a few drops of peppermint oil. Make sure it is a quality oil. The scent may help get rid of the odor. Spray all doorways, Windows and any other openings. Bugs do not like peppermint so may not enter your home. Also bicarbonate of soda in a dish will absorb existing odors. I hope this is helpful.

March 23, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a natural way to get rid of Asian lady bugs in the house. I have vacuumed them up in past years, but they continue to come in during the spring time. I just want them to go away. I have an old house so they have lots of places to get in.

By Kippy from Ashtabula, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The lady bugs are harmless. I live in the North and every fall my house is covered with the bugs. Some show up in the house all winter long. lady bugs eat other smaller bugs. They can get in the house through the smallest of openings. So you may want to close up any openings you may find. Other than that just sweep them up and toss them outside.

Asian lady beetles do not like lemon. Wipe around your entrance ways (Windows, doors, etc.) with lemon oil or a cleaner containing lemon oil. This will greatly reduce how many enter your home. It has worked for me.

lady bugs are one thing asian beetles are another--they bite and it itches like crazy--lady bugs do not bite

October 4, 2011 Flag

Every fall, when the soybeans are picked, we are swarmed by Asian beetles. They come inside through the tiniest crack around windows and doors. They smell terrible when they are crushed. How can we keep them outside?

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Here's what we do around the home front: Get those cans of bombing spray (Family Dollar) for insect control. Place them under your house in various locations. Close all doorways to the crawl space. This helps control most of the problem. Those that do get inside the house, I use a glass jar with a lid and about 1/4 cup of Pine Sol. Using the lid, scoop the beetles into the jar and close up. Give a gentle shake and they die without the odor. When you have enough beetles in the jar of Pine Sol, you can flush down the commode and start again.

Beetles are attracted to light; ceiling lights, lamps, computer screen you will find them crawling up the walls near them. You might want to keep several jars around the house in different places for easy access to help control. Using a vacuum on them to suck 'em up only helps make their odor linger and not too pleasant when using the vacuum either.

April 17, 2016 Flag

I am doing a lady trap and I want to know what scent do ladybugs like?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 8, 2016 Flag

We have been invaded by numerous orange and black Asian lady beetles (not lady bugs, but the orange ones). They smell and bite. I can not use chemicals as we have family members with allergies and I do some part time weekend child care. I have been vacuuming them up numerous times a day.

Does anyone have any tried and true suggestions that work as to how to get rid of them?

I am rather OCD about keeping a spotlessly clean and smell free house and it is driving me bonkers.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2010 Flag

I have a chalet in WV and use it two weekends a month. In late Fall millions of Asian beetles (that look like ladybugs) fly in mass from the mountains and head for my chalet for warmth. When I arrive my 22' windows are black with bugs, the tub is filled, and the ceilings are alive.

I cannot figure out how they are getting inside of the house. I'm thinking around the tracks of the two sliding doors maybe? I've asked what to use at DITY stores and folks say you can't fill up the sliding door track and still use the door. Is there an experienced person with the answer or some other suggestion? Thanks.

By Manorris01 from Dunkirk, MD

Answers:

Keeping Asian Beetles Out of My House

The lady bugs are harmless. I live in the North and every fall my house is covered with the bugs. Some show up in the house all winter long. Lady bugs eat other smaller bugs. They can get in the house through the smallest of openings. So you may want to close up any openings you may find. Other than that just sweep them up and toss them outside. (04/23/2009)

By foxrun41

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control BeetlesApril 2, 2013
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 10:45:14 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.