Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes

Does anyone know how to kill off wild blackberry vines? I'm getting overrun. This bush is growing out of a tree stump that we can't get to. We cut the tree down to the ground just 3 weeks ago and this is how fast the blackberries have grown back. It's spreading into the lawn. I tried a grass and weed killer, but it hasn't phased it.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes

In western Oregon we also suffer from the same problem. We've sprayed with Round-up and cut, cut, cut. I've never heard of anybody ridding themselves of blackberries totally. If you can you could burn the stump. (05/31/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes

I'm shaking my head watching my boyfriend trying to dig each plant up by the roots. He doesn't want to hear me tell him that he broke all the roots. Or use my no fail organic way. Cut each bush to the base. Make sure these cuttings are disposed of (by burning or removal) as you cut, put a drop of Tabasco sauce at the ground level cut. This will kill the root totally, and the bush will not grow back. This also works for scotch broom, morning glory, or probably any other deep rooted plant. (06/12/2010)

By lavaja

I'm going to try this on my bramble covered allotment. If it works I will contact my local park rangers and the National Trust for Conservation Volunteers. They use to be able to use ammonia sulfonate in the way you describe for foreign invasive species but because there were no lab test on dogs it was banned in Europe. There was no test because dogs didn't tend to go around chewing on stumps still in the ground and it worked immediately then broke down in the roots underground. But if Tabasco work so much the better. Of course it hasn't been tested on dogs but I suspect one sniff of either Tabasco or ammonia would discourage them.

Photo of blackberries on the vine.
Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
Picking Blackberries
Killing Weeds in a Blackberry Patch
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎄