Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants

Using a safe, thorough method to keep these ants from your home and buildings is important. This guide is about getting rid of carpenter ants.

February 2, 2017 Flag

A white window sill.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide contains information about mysterious black powder on window sill. Black powder on a window sill could be caused by mold, carpenter ants or other causes.

August 21, 2010 Flag

I am overcome with ants, carpenter ants. Anyone have any ideas for a homemade solution or any solution? How do you get rid of them?

By Zoya from Collinsville, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Borox (twenty mule team laundry detergent) sprinkle powder inside cabinets and window seals. It contains boric acid. It is safe for children and pets, but should not be within their reach, and they should not be breathing fumes. Use the hose attachment on your sweeper to clean up powder after a few days, then take bag out to trash. This powder should not be used on pets or humans.

Repeat if necessary.

I mix equal parts sugar and borax with enough water to dissolve in a fairly flat lid and set it on the floor near an wall. It takes about three days but then there are no ants (or other creepy crawlies). You may have to keep a continual supply out for some time, but it works.

Carpenter ants are nothing to try to exterminate yourself, they are like termites. Call a professional before they eat your whole house!

I use Terro ant killer. You put the liquid Terro in flat bottle caps around where the ants are. at first, you will see a lot because they come and get it to take back to their nest, and then they disappear. I get mine at Walmart. keep away from children and pets. Best to you.

May 6, 2007 Flag

Does anyone have an eco-friendly way to rid a home of carpenter ants or termites short of replacing all the infected wood?

CC from Northern IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yep. LOTS of used coffee grounds right on the ground where they enter/exit. However, worms and GRUBS LOVE the grounds, so don't be surprised when

you get what looks like Genetically Modified worms and grubs next season, especially if you move rocks

near the coffee ground treated areas. I was SO shocked to see the size of the grubs, which looked like my 9 yr. old grandson's THUMB !!! The biggest of all 38 ? years I've lived here!!! lol : )

easy one

mix spoon of borax, spoon glycerine, spoon sugar and place in entrance, they will feed the queen with it, and nest will die!

you can treat wood with boric acid products, but tend to be expensive.

Where do you buy diatamaceous earth ??

Just found a good site on carpenter ants. http://www.exte  hing/DK1015.html

June 22, 2010 Flag

Carpenter ants are eating my porch! Any easy solutions?

By Christine from Dubuque

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I get them about every other year in the house when it is very dry and they are looking for water and damp places. I hire an exterminator. Or you could try the products at Lowe's or Home Depot. They come in sprayable containers and are supposed to last a couple of months. The exterminator sprays a product that the ants take back to the nest. When they eat the stuff they die. My ants will be gone in a couple of days.

have you tried putting out some Sweet N Low or sprinkling it around where the ants are gathering?

It works for tiny ants where I live.

But I'm also experimenting with powdered meat tenderizer, the kind you buy in the spice section of the grocery store. Make sure it has papain in it.

Maybe you could mix it with the sweet n low. Like try one packet to 1/4 teaspoon of meat tenderizer.

If you do try it, would you please post your results? I'd like to see if my experimenting works and if you made any changes in the proportions.

Good luck. Hate ants.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

http://www.carpenterants.com/

We had them in our roof of our other house but didn't know it for years. The roof leaked, we repaired it with tar, 2 years later it would leak again, we repaired it. This went on for years. Finally we decided to put on a new roof. When they took off the shingles the roof was full of carpenter ants. We were told to pour javax on them. My husband did and it killed them all. We built the new roof and as far as I know there has not been a problem since.(we sold that house 16 years ago). Hope this helps.

April 17, 2012 Flag

Will Epsom salt hurt my palms and other plants and my dog? I put some all around my plants to see if it would get rid of carpenter ants.

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No way I use epson salts all the time. It's great. May do your plants a favor. It's just magnesium.

June 3, 2012 Flag

I have problems with carpenter ants and my wood outside walls. I have problems with wasps settling in outside areas and they also go between where the slider frames are set on the wood base. Where do I put coffee grounds?

By Gail S from Bartlett, NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 21, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a good way to get rid of carpenter ants. Any ideas?

AZ

Answers:

Carpenter Ants

I really do not know and was hoping some one had posted something for this problem. We sprayed Raid and it did help some. My daughter had them and the exterminator came out, but the ants moved else where. They are a lot of trouble. (07/07/2005)

By Peggy

Carpenter Ants

Use black pepper. (07/08/2005)

By Althea

Carpenter Ants

We're just in the process of having moved into a home near a forest and are dealing with some carpenter ants colonies.
(FYI try a Google search on these ants)

We had a pest guy come and spray the perimeter of our house, it got rid of quite a few. Also, go around your place with a flashlight when it's dark outside, say between 10p.m. and midnight, check for ant traffic. You may be able to locate the nest, then get a pest guy to get the Queen. Viola! Ants be gone. This is pretty much it, also get rid of any moisture around wood and/or rotting woodpiles. (We actually found and disposed of a Queen this way.)

Then try using organic deterrents regularly, such as planting peppermint around the house, sprinkling cinnamon and/or cayenne all around the house, too. Also, you could burn pine resin on a charcoal all around the house in and out (this also deters wasps from nesting) and over time, your place will become unfavourable to certain unwelcome creatures. (08/06/2005)

By GB

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2010 Flag

How can I kill carpenter ants without using an exterminator? Already have one on retainer for termites. I really don't want to give them any more money.

Thanks.

Sheila from Central FL

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Carpenter Ants

Every few years I get carpenter ants in my home. I tried bait traps, but finally called an exterminator. He explained in my state we have only two types of ants (maybe fire ants at some future time) small red ants and carpenter ants. Bait traps work only on the small red ants. Carpenter ants don't eat that stuff. They are looking for damp wood and water. When I killed the carpenter ants outside I noticed the carpenter ants would be carrying off the dead ants. I asked the exterminator why. He said they are cannibals and take the dead ants back to the nest to eat. That is why bait traps and other types of deterrents don't work. Red ants eat from the bait traps. Spend the money and get a exterminator. It cost me $450 with a ninety day guarantee. The ants were gone by the next day. (09/11/2007)

By Dean

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2009 Flag

How do I get rid of ants in dishwasher?

By annette45 from Rochester, MI

Answers:

Ants in Dishwasher

My parents had this problem one year and no matter what they did the ants were still there. Finally my dad took the panel off the inside of the door and wow. The door is lined with cardboard and insulation. The ants had made a huge nest inside the cardboard and there were thousands. He ended up cleaning out, then spraying the inside of the door panel and replacing the cardboard. Hope it helps. (07/08/2009)

By crydrallim

Ants in Dishwasher

Every few years I get carpenter ants in the kitchen. They may come in from under the dishwasher or some other place. I call an exterminator and he sprays areas in the basement and on the outside of the foundation. In a day or two they are all gone. The ants carry the material the exterminator uses back to the nest. The ants in the nest eat the material and they all die. (07/08/2009)

By foxrun41

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 7, 2009 Flag

Has anyone heard of this and have any suggestions? My dishwasher is getting full of ants. When I open in the morning, it will be full of ants. I run a small amount of hot water in it and then drain. How are they getting in and how can I stop them?

CJ'S Mom

Answers:

Ants in dishwasher?

You have to find where they are nesting. In my case, the cabinet next to the dishwasher had cereal which was infested. I threw it all out and bought plastic cereal keepers. Finally I found that there was candy in my daughter's bag in the hall closet, that was the attraction. They will gravitate to the water. You will need to get an exterminator, but must find the source of the attraction. (03/13/2005)

By mahopacnymommy

Ants in dishwasher?

You probably have a leak under your dishwasher. It could only be one small drip, but still a leak. You definitely should call an exterminator, but fix your leak. (03/14/2005)

By klmaclaughlin

Ants in dishwasher?

Put Mule team 20 borax granules in the bottom of your dishwasher when not in use. They will "take it home" and it will kill the source. Best of all you can just run your dishwasher as normal, as the borax won't hurt you or your dishes/dishwasher. You can exterminate and kill once, but if the dirty dishes are the attraction and they (exterminators) don't kill the source then they will return time and time again. Dial Corp won't say it kills ants as they are not licensed as a pesticide, but it works. You can also go the 20 Mule Team site and find other uses for this product so if you don't use it all for ants, which you probably won't, then you have other neat things to make and do with it.

I also use a sugar, water, borax mixture to kill ants in other unwanted places. A milk cap filled with the sugar mixture and refilled for two weeks took care of ants we were fighting for almost two years. Good luck. (03/14/2005)

By Barbie

Ants in dishwasher?

Every year I get that problem. I throw bleach in the bottom of my dishwasher and that kills them for
a while. Wish I knew of another way also. (04/20/2005)

By Pat

Ants in dishwasher?

This is also a problem for us. Here's how I solve it. I take a Q-tip dip in an insecticide and run the Q-tip around the edges of the wood cabinetry surrounding the dishwasher and on the floor under the washer. Works like a charm. (05/09/2005)

By Deb

Ants in Dishwasher

You could also try putting granular lime all around your foundation. I tried this several years ago and "knock on wood", we have seen one ant in the house since then. (07/27/2005)

By Streatch

Ants in Dishwasher

I was having the same problem with tiny ants getting into the dishwasher. Since I heard that dryer sheets actually repel ants, I decided to stuff some under the cabinet lip near the dishwasher. Believe it or not, this worked and I haven't seen an ant since. (08/08/2005)

By BAL

Ants in Dishwasher

I had this problem for a year or so until a friend told me to pour white distilled vinegar full strength (bought a big bottle really cheap) down the drain hole in the dishwasher and then let it run with no soap for a cycle.

I am happy to say I have only had to do this one other time between last year and now and they have been gone ever since. Hope that helps. (08/11/2005)

By Tanya

Ants in Dishwasher

Same problem with tiny ants around washer. Found a nest inside the top panel rear when removed. Just next to the vent. Ants may like the moisture. Removed and sprayed area. (05/24/2008)

By Mike

Ants in Dishwasher

I have used Boric acid. Found this on the net. Just go out and buy some 20 Mule Team Borax if you need more. It's in the laundry soap aisle in the grocery store. It's almost pure Boric acid, sold as a laundry soap booster. At about $3.00 per 2-4 pound box it's a lot cheaper than the commercial ant killer.

The best bug-killing bait I've used was a recipe whose source I cannot remember. I'll list it here:

I cut apart the individual "cups" from an egg carton and put a good spoonful of the mixture in each. Then I place the "cups" around under appliances, well out of the way of pets and kids. The sugar and fat will draw the bugs to the bait. Every spring I renew the bait.

I also sprinkle a little in the bottom of the dishwasher as the dirty dishes accumulate. The bugs are drawn to the dishwasher and walk through the borax.
(08/10/2008)

By Jim T.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJanuary 6, 2013
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Carpenter bee drilling into wood.
Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees
A white window sill.
Mysterious Black Powder on Window Sill
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 6:35:44 AM on 10.0.0.49 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.