Browsing: Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants

Using a safe, thorough method to keep these ants from your home and buildings is important. This guide is about getting rid of carpenter ants.

Carpenter Ant
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 21, 2010 Flag

I am overcome with ants, carpenter ants. Anyone have any ideas for a homemade solution or any solution? How do you get rid of them?

By Zoya from Collinsville, AL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I mix equal parts sugar and borax with enough water to dissolve in a fairly flat lid and set it on the floor near an wall. It takes about three days but then there are no ants (or other creepy crawlies). You may have to keep a continual supply out for some time, but it works.

Carpenter ants are nothing to try to exterminate yourself, they are like termites. Call a professional before they eat your whole house!

I use Terro ant killer. You put the liquid Terro in flat bottle caps around where the ants are. at first, you will see a lot because they come and get it to take back to their nest, and then they disappear. I get mine at Walmart. keep away from children and pets. Best to you.

Carpenter ants for the most part are a nuisance ant, though they are considered a wood destroying insect, they rarely do any damage at all. They never eat wood, just will tunnel in it usually wood already damaged from rot or termite...90% of all carpenter ant work I do.

They will not be nesting around any wood at all, just a hollow area such as the tubing that makes up the frame for screens and storm windows. Common areas of wood they are found would be hollow core doors and the hollow areas under the window sill.

They will not feed on the commercial baits found at stores for other house hold ants such as Terro, but you can get a specialty bait called MaxForce Carpenter Ant gel that works good for an inside infestation and Advance Carpenter Ant granules for outside, both work well when professionally tackling them and be found on the web.

May 6, 2007 Flag

Does anyone have an eco-friendly way to rid a home of carpenter ants or termites short of replacing all the infected wood?

CC from Northern IN

easy one

mix spoon of borax, spoon glycerine, spoon sugar and place in entrance, they will feed the queen with it, and nest will die!

you can treat wood with boric acid products, but tend to be expensive.

Where do you buy diatamaceous earth ??

Just found a good site on carpenter ants. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/DK1015.html

Ants will not walk on cinnamon, period, fact.

November 24, 2009 Flag

I discovered ants in my dishwasher; I am a clean freak who rinses everything thoroughly before I put dishes in the washer. Any suggestions on what to do?

By Diedra from OH

I would also think that if the dishwasher were run at night instead of morning, that would keep ants from getting in there in the first place. I know they are attracted to food - sugar, fat, etc. If it's not there, they can't be attracted to it.

If you see them there, there are a lot you don't see-you gotta find the source,and then your dishwasher will instantly come up ant free. It has nothing to do with clean-you have a way for them to get in! It's getting colder here-they want in.

Any time you see ants, you can stop them for a long time with a product called Terro. It's a clear liquid that is basically a sweetener and boric acid.

You put a quarter sized drop on the cardboard they provide, set it down away from kids and pets, like under the sink and fridge, or on windowsills. They come to the "watering hole" and drink, which you will see just like an eclipse around the sun! It's clear in the middle and black around the edges.

Then, they go off and die, spreading the boric acid to the colony. It can be found in any hardware or department store, and is about 3.49 for a bottle that will last you at least 6 months to a year.

This stuff works wonders. Check it out on line. PBP

We use Terro too. It is the best way to get rid of ants. I tried everything else that I could think of-- TERRO is the answer.

February 4, 2010 Flag

Inside my house on a window sill there is a little mound (size of a dime) of what looks like finely ground pepper. I cleared it away and in just a few hours the little mound re-appeared. What could it be?

By Nan Rae

Assuming you mean a loose material piling up; if so probably ants. Go straight up from the pile and see if you see a small hole or opening in the wall, if so ants are using an area as a dumping ground, causing the debris pile to show up.

I think it could be carpenter ants. Do you have a tree anywhere near your house that is dead or a decaying bush? That is where carpenter ants come from. I had them once and sprayed all along the perimeter of my basement and they left but someone told me they come from a decaying tree. We had an apple tree that had died and we cut it down but the stump was still in the ground so that is where mine came from.

I was just about to post that it sounded like carpenter ants or carpenter bees. I had the same thing on my front porch and watched and they ewre puffing it out of a hole I would have never noticed.

Have your house checked for termites. If you're having this problem, that' what I'd.

June 22, 2010 Flag

Carpenter ants are eating my porch! Any easy solutions?

April 17, 2012 Flag

Will Epsom salt hurt my palms and other plants and my dog? I put some all around my plants to see if it would get rid of carpenter ants.

By Sheila

No way I use epson salts all the time. It's great. May do your plants a favor. It's just magnesium.

August 21, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a good way to get rid of carpenter ants. Any ideas?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJanuary 6, 2013
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Carpenter bee drilling into wood.
Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 14, 2016 at 1:05:59 PM on 10.0.1.242 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.