Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Help! Creeping Charlie has taken over my shade garden. It's even found it's way to the lawn. How can I get rid of this menace without having to kill everything in the garden and starting over?

By Sweezykay

Best Answer

To get rid of Creeping Charlie, use Borax laundry additive. There is a formula of how much to add to water that is easy to find on the internet. It is real easy to take some out to the yard with you and carefully sprinkle on just the Charlie and then water (or just before a good rain). Not too much or will burn the good stuff. I do this especially where no grass grows and it is just Creeping Charlie and other weeds. In these areas, I am a little more generous. Works like magic, but keep up with it. If in garden, it also works but don't overdo. I found it will not kill other weeds.

Best Answer

Use a herbicide containing Dicamba the higher the % the better at least 6% to 12%. Hit it when it flowers in the spring and in the fall. Borax will work but you need to careful on the anount it can carry over to the next year like atrazine . Hi-Yield Range and Pasture Dicamba + D has about 12%

Stay away from borax. First it does not kill creeping Charlie, only burns off the top. It is extremely toxic to soil and overuse leaves ground dead for decades.

Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsApril 8, 2013
Man on the Street in Charlie Chaplin Costume
Making a Charlie Chaplin Costume
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Growing Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)