Getting Rid Of Honeysuckle Without Chemicals

Category Weeds
Eradicate this invasive plant without using Roundup or other harsh chemical herbicides. This is a guide about getting rid of honeysuckle without chemicals.

How do I kill a honeysuckle vine without use of chemicals? I don't want to ruin my soil?

Blake from Poteau, OK

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Honeysuckle also attracts hummingbirds! But, Roundup won't harm your soil, it only kills the plants you spray it on and within 7 days you can replant the area after the plant dies. I have used it successfully to kill off a patch of grass and a week later planted great veggies.

Best Answer

I'm highly allergic to it. The odor makes me start sneezing and it doesn't stop until the honey suckle is gone, or I am stuck in the house the whole summer long.

I try to catch it at first sprout and with thick gloves on, I use vinegar and dawn in a spray bottle and cut the sprout off as close to the ground as possible, take aim and spray directly on the upcoming honeysuckle. Sometimes I miss some and my husband will take care of them for me. But I've had good luck with this combo of mixing Cider vinegar and dawn dish soap in a spray bottle that will spray a straight line. I have used it on poison ivy, which I'm not allergic to, go figure!

There are plenty of things for the hummingbirds to enjoy and I get to watch them as long as the honeysuckle is gone.

hope this helps.
Tina

Best Answer

Use a mixture of vinegar, salt and water, be careful what you spray because it will kill anything it touches.

Buy a 4 liter bottle of vinegar and take out 1 cup, then add 1 cup of salt, mix and add the cup of vinegar back to the bottle.

By Patti (Guest Post)

Why would you want to do that? We used to drink the "honey" from the flowers and Mom used to put a jar of the vines on the table. Wonderful smell.