AdviceGardening

Getting Rid Of Honeysuckle Without Chemicals

How do I kill a honeysuckle vine without use of chemicals? I don't want to ruin my soil?

Blake from Poteau, OK

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Honeysuckle also attracts hummingbirds! But, Roundup won't harm your soil, it only kills the plants you spray it on and within 7 days you can replant the area after the plant dies. I have used it successfully to kill off a patch of grass and a week later planted great veggies.

Best Answer

I'm highly allergic to it. The odor makes me start sneezing and it doesn't stop until the honey suckle is gone, or I am stuck in the house the whole summer long.

I try to catch it at first sprout and with thick gloves on, I use vinegar and dawn in a spray bottle and cut the sprout off as close to the ground as possible, take aim and spray directly on the upcoming honeysuckle. Sometimes I miss some and my husband will take care of them for me. But I've had good luck with this combo of mixing Cider vinegar and dawn dish soap in a spray bottle that will spray a straight line. I have used it on poison ivy, which I'm not allergic to, go figure!

There are plenty of things for the hummingbirds to enjoy and I get to watch them as long as the honeysuckle is gone.

hope this helps.
Tina

Best Answer

Use a mixture of vinegar, salt and water, be careful what you spray because it will kill anything it touches.

Buy a 4 liter bottle of vinegar and take out 1 cup, then add 1 cup of salt, mix and add the cup of vinegar back to the bottle.

By Patti (Guest Post)

Why would you want to do that? We used to drink the "honey" from the flowers and Mom used to put a jar of the vines on the table. Wonderful smell.

All varieties of Honeysuckle are invasive. They produce berries that are low nutritional value for wild life but they are like candy so the animals go nuts for them and it spreads wildly. Again pollinators not high quality honey clover makes much better honey. If you enjoy it then pot it and cut it back before the berries so it does not spread because many states are losing forestry to the plant. Ohio has endangered wild flowers because of the over growth of this plant as well.

This like Kudzu was a transplant that was brought to this country and has caused devastation. Plan a garden well know the growth potential of your plants, know how they grow. For aggressive herbs, grasses, shrubs, etc place in pots this will prevent what I am helping my son fix in his yard(which the only thing that has survived next to the honeysuckle is the poison sumac and poison ivy along with Boston ivy and English ivy. This is going to be a fun job! UGH! All are invasive and hard to kill...

By kayray (Guest Post)

I feel for you! I have morning glory all over that I can't get rid of - it is beautiful but chokes out everything else!

Round up did not work on it. It killed everything but the morning glory just popped back up!

By nailfanatic (Guest Post)

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try! My allergies will be thankful!

By Linda (Guest Post)

Like they said... some folks are highly allergic to it and if you have allergy enduced asthma your in trouble living around the invasive stuff. I appreciate the benefits it provides but must do it from someone elses yard.

Also, my problem is, it's been on this property for over 70 years or more and it is killing everything! I will give the remedy listed above a try. Thanks!

The Honeysuckle has already ruined your soil. It acts like Walnut and kills everything around it. ( I'm sure there's a scientific explanation, but it's the best way I know to say it.