Frugal Gardening Tips

A rain barrel hooked up to a down spout.I use a flat bottom sled for garden waste. I find it very easy to pull all year round, and it holds tools as well as garden weeds. I put an old dog leash on the sled by using hooks through each end to put through the holes on each side of the sled. Then I just drag it along over my neck and shoulder as I garden.

I have bamboo, so that means I need something that will allow long stems. I have roses and this keeps the thorns contained, until I get my recycling bags ready. It is good for taking plants from the car to the garden as well. It is great for pulling out your recycling bins. All around my most useful garden invention.

By Barbara W. from Ewing, NJ

9 More Solutions

If you normally use a wheelbarrow to move mulch, dirt, compost or weeds, try an old bed sheet instead. Lay the sheet open on the ground and rake or throw the mulch, dirt or weeds onto it then grab three corners and drag the whole bundle to its new location.

I had just moved in at the beginning of summer last year and found a fabulous deal on flowers! There wasn't a flower bed on my acre! So right over my grass, I laid Eco Friendly roofing paper.

For those of you that love flowers and have a friend or acquaintance that loves fishing, ask them to save the "dirt" that their bait comes in. This can be added to your potting soil to boost its enrichment.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 523 Posts

I took this picture along with a close up and sent both to my county agricultural agent.

Getting Help With Gardening Issues

Ness - Lakeview, NY

Here are some great thrifty gardening tips from Ness, all around thrifty woman extraordinaire!

I use all of my neighbors and my grass clippings to mulch my vegetable garden. I have few weeds, great organic vegetables, save money and time weeding.

Plastic food storage bags make great shoe covers when you're working in the muddy garden. Slip 2 bags over each shoe and secure them with rubber bands around your ankles.

Here in France we buy our croissants, pastries, etc. in lidded "cellophane" boxes. They come in all shapes and sizes, but all are deep and ideal as mini-propagators for seeds and/or cuttings.

If you love gardening, but don't want to spend all your savings on keeping everything blooming, this is the book for you. It will tell you everything you need to know about gardening and landscaping beautifully on the cheap.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 28, 2013
💘
🍀
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Frugal-Gardening-Tips-1.html