Getting Rid of Large Flying Ants in the House

I have a problem with flying insects. They look like giant flying ants, about 1 inch long. I thought they may have been termites, but a friend of mine said they weren't. I live in Tampa Florida. They seem to come around at the beginning of summer.

They swarm the outside of my house and find any way in they can, through gaps in the windows and doors, under baseboards, etc. They don't bite but are a real pain. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how I can get rid of them permanently?

By LKaylor from Tampa, FL

You may want to Google for Palmetto Bugs in Florida.. Take a look at posted pictures and compare them to what you see. Then you may want to compare pictures of Wood Roaches.. Sorry to say that "roach" word but both mature and fly. They are not like the "dirty roach" that is attracted to food. But, needless to say, it may be what you are referring to.

They may indeed be ants. We have carpenter ants which are huge and I can bet in Florida all bugs are bigger! When an ant colony gets too big, they swarm. Some grow wings and leave the nest to start new colonies elsewhere. They don't keep their wings for long. Look them up and see if that's what you have. They damage your home just like termites. They don't eat wood, they drill it to live in.

I live in Spring Hill, Fl and those are flying ants. They only swarm and last a few days and they do not hurt you or anything. Usually they die soon after entering the house. I find them all over the floor in one of the bedrooms and in my home office. I just sweep them up and after about a week you won't see any more of them in your home.

As said in another post, carpenter ants.

Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJune 16, 2011
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
🎄