Getting Rid of Red Ants

I have a yard full of red ants; what can I do? I hate to have to pay the high for the cost of most commercial insecticides.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Hi Nelwyn! I am here on the other side of the state in Slidell and we have had a terrible time with ants since Katrina. I have found that if you pour liquid Citronella into the mounds until they are saturated it kills them and it is not harmful to the pets. You can also make bait traps with 3 tablespoons of boric acid and 1/4 cup of sugar dissolved into a cup of hot water. Press a disposable pie plate into the mound then pour that mixture into it. Within 2 or 3 days the mound is dead. (This method is better in my opinion, but the dogs were too curious.) (05/03/2006)

By Blueyedsis

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Bleach also works, pour about a cap full on top of the ant hill. It will kills those in the hive and run off the others. (05/04/2006)

By Mary

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Hi! To kill ants without using chemicals, take a bucket and fill with warm tap water. Pour the warm water into the ant mound. Usually it takes one or two applications, but it works! We use this all the time for fire ants in Georgia.

Cathy G. (05/04/2006)

By cathyg

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Control
Natural enemies of fire ants have been tested for mass releases that would control the ants in large areas, and progress is being made. Biological control agents include Beauvaria basisanna, a natural fungus disease that attacks fire ants, and beneficial nematodes. Pouring boiling water on individual mounds is effective in small areas.
...Found on this website:http://www.garden.org/pestlibrary/bugs.php?q=show&id=1612 (05/04/2006)

By Mary

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Grits. The ant eats it and it expands and kills them. Works GREAT for fire ants. I will never use anything else! (05/14/2007)

By mlstewart

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Boil water with cayenne pepper in it. Pour it all over the
ant mounds. One application usually does the trick! (07/08/2007)

By Ricky

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Try this site for history & information:
http://www.safe2use.com/pests/fireants/fireants1.htm
(04/15/2008)

By Cheryl

Getting Rid of Red Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄