Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

I would like to paint some old pine bedroom dressers and give it a distressed look. Any ideas on how to do this?

Jo from Garnerville, NY

Answers:

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

I have distressed pine by hitting it with a thick linked (Clean) chain and then painting it. You can also sand edges and other marks into the paint to make it look worn. Use a very fine sandpaper. (03/13/2006)

By

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

I paint the first coat either black, burgundy or brown. The second coat is white. I then sand it using a hand sander until the under color comes out. I sand the surfaces and the edges. Then I wipe it down with a damp cloth to get all the dust off. Then I stain it leaving the stain on heavier in some areas and lighter in others.
Hope this helps. (03/13/2006)

By Annette

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

Distress it with several different items and a hammer, such as hitting a nail on it's side, hitting a washer, chain, hammer marks, bang it with items most normal furniture gets banged with like a pot or a pan, tearing a little spot of grain off, etc. Another way is to use a crackling finish which you can buy at a paint store or home improvement store. you put on a base coat, then an over finish that, when it dries, it cracks and crazes, giving it an old look. (03/14/2006)

By Pops

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

You could rub it with a heavy steel wool to make small grooves and ruff up the finish. (03/14/2006)

By srhp69

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look

I have to laugh when I hear about "distressed furniture". When my kids were little, they took care of it for free! Now there's an idea, borrow a few kids from the neighborhood! Good luck. (03/14/2006)

By Joankay

Giving Furniture a Distressed Look
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Distressed Furniture
Giving Furniture a Distressed Look
🎄