Giving a Cat a Bath

Bathing a cat can be extremely difficult but is necessary from time to time. There are some tips and techniques to minimize the trauma and injury to your cat and yourself. This is a guide about giving a cat a bath.

July 20, 2011 Flag

When I give my house-cats, Josie and Fuzzybutt, their bath, I love each one up really good first. Then I pick her up and get into the shower with her. I have the water just right for her and have the two separate large plastic cups from a Quickstop with diluted shampoo and conditioner ready on the floor. Pouring this mixture slowly over the animal helps you evenly distribute it through the hair and not get it all in one spot. It also helps it get rinsed out better.

I get to her level and use the hose and sprayer at the softest level and wet her down and soap her up. I turn the water off when I don't need it, and this keeps her from being traumatized. She may act like she hates it, but she really likes it!

Dogs and cats that only get bathed occasionally need skin conditioning just like we do. Their skin can get dry and flaky and cause scratching. Have your towels over the wall or shower rod and wrap your kitty up to calm and soothe them. Absorb as much water as possible before releasing your cat in the closed bathroom. Keep the kitty confined till nearly dry. Change towels several times to dry.

Source: I learned to use my shampoo and conditioner from working at my friend's grooming salon.

By Carlajo from TX

Thanks for the great information. We have 2 cats. Sweetie doesn't mind a bath but Twizzler is a whole different story! LOL maybe this will work with Twizzler...lets hope.

I would not even try it , I value my life to much

August 28, 2008 Flag

My cat, Teddy, is impossible to bathe. Although normally cats do not require a bath, he sometimes seems to get dirty using his litter box and then smells, albeit rarely this happens. This is going to sound harsh, but he really does not cooperate usually, so I put him in the tub and then placed a tall plastic laundry basket over him and held it down, or you could have a helper do that part. Our shower has a hand-held hose, so then I just sprayed him wet through the holes in the laundry basket. He was unable to escape or scratch me. I avoided his ears and face. When he was soaked, I used my old Joy dish soap container with watered down shampoo to suds him, because by this point he had stopped meowing in protest and relegated himself to the whole procedure. I held his back down so he was squat to the tub bottom while sudsing. All the while I chat with him in a soothing tone, then place the laundry basket over him again and spray rinse. Have a towel at the ready, lift off the laundry basket, wrap the kitty and dry. Ta da, done!

By Carrie from N Liberty, IA

I realize that sometimes it's necessary to bathe a cat, but from a health standpoint (yours and the cat's!) it should be avoided if possible. Please especially avoid using soap or detergent because of the drying effect it has on the cat's skin. If possible, it's much preferable to simply cut off the area of fur that's become matted or soiled.

We had cats that LOVED the water.They didn't fight or fuss or throw a fit & they had no screen in the bottom of the sink,it just felt good to them

http://www.yuckles.com/catbath.htm

I love the cute website and really appreciate the tip on the window screen or a rug. I'm trying that if there is a next time. Teddy had accidentally gotten into something smelly, we think...maybe got dirty in his litter box..we don't know, but I hate to bathe a cat they normally take care of themselves but this time...I had to do something.

I have a long hair tuxedo male desexed cat and he quite often gets himself in a mess - I use good quality alcohol free baby wipes to clean him up - he weighs about 16lb so it is virtually impossible for me to give him a bath and the baby wipes don't seem to do any harm. I saw baby wipes used on a wildlife program once when they were hand rearing new born tigers so I figured it was Ok for a domestic cat

Your description of bathing Teddy really made me laugh. The 1st time I bathed my cat I filled both kitchen sinks with nice warm water. I gently set the cat in one of the sinks and believe it or not she just sat there. So I washed her quickly and moved her to the next sink for rinsing. I had expected to be missing at least a couple of fingers. Thanks for a great story.

July 31, 2007 Flag

Could someone please advise me how to clean my cat? I adopted Beffie some time ago from a shelter. The hair on his back is very dirty and hard, but there is no way I will be able to bath him, as he HATES being held. Could I dust him with baby powder/Maizena and then brush him?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Carol from Republic of South Africa

I have washed my cats, when necessary, in the kitchen sink, using pet shampoo that is labelled for cats - dog shampoo is not the same stuff. You can then rinse with warm water using the kitchen faucet, which is convenient, and cuts down on the amount of time the cat is actually sitting in the water.

I had a friend, a brand new cat owner, who decided to bathe his cat - he was holding the cat against his bare chest as he stepped into and turned on his shower. I know it's not really funny, but this was definitely a case where ignorance was NOT bliss!

WARNING ! DO NOT PUT BABY POWDER ON YOUR CAT. IT CAN KILL PETS! I'd sprinkle corn flour, leave on permanently if your cat is in the house and not outside, because the flour absorbs. If outside, he may not be trusting enough to be tamed so I'd forget the dirt and concentrate on getting him well and healthy. Food is one of the best ways to get a pet to trust us over time, IF we do NOT try to touch them too much. Some cats born outside just don't want to be touched at all. If you are able to ever touch the animal, I'd certainly not jump in an try to eliminate hair right away. That's the least of the cat's problems. I'd try taming, so that one day, after the hair begins to dry out, it will allow you to tamper A BIT with the dirty hair. It is likely something like old food from a trash can, or someone tried to get rid of him and swatted him with a cup of something sugared. He likely then tried to clean himself/herself

by rolling over in the dirt, which may have been greasy or dirtier than normal? The cat may have been trapped inside a dirty box and finally escaped. Who can tell? Regardless, take your time and be patient. Perhaps with God's help, you will gain it's trust. God bless and help you. : )

Definitely have someone help, since it often takes two to bathe a cat properly, one to hold the pet and the other to wash it. I find it easiest to fill a sink partially with water, place the hind legs in the water, and allow the cat to "stand" while holding the front legs up. Be careful not to push the cat down too hard if it tries to jump out. The excess pressure on the back legs can hurt the cat (even to the point of fracturing the legs). And have the towels ready--you won't be able to get it out of the water quick enough.

I agree with Noella on having heavy clothing on. I always wear my sweats and wore long sleeves at first. I only put about 3 inches of warm water in the tub. The vet told me if you are using flea shampoo only use on the neck area and back. Then use tearless baby shampoo on their face. They will love you better for it. My husband always has the holding part of it. The cats' rear legs are in the water and he holds on to the front two paws and talks soothing to the kitty while i do the shampooing and rinsing. Dry them off in a big fluffy towel best you can before you let them loose. I usually cover their head up for a few seconds while i rub them briskly. Of course i think everybody failed to say you must latch the door so they don't run out, lol. Anyway, no matter how much they act like they hated it, after a couple of times, they don't fight it so much and actually seem to enjoy it!! cause cats love to be clean!! be sure you do it early in the morning so they can catch the sunbeams in the windows in the house. Brush them a couple of times to help them out because they start licking themselves and sometimes end up with "furballs" and the hacking cough. My cats love the salmon flavored furball remedy medicine , think it is hartz brand. They come running when mommy has it on her finger for them to lick it off. Good luck. oh lastly, and importantly, both my husband and i wear rubber gloves to protect from the claws when they get over excited!! Helps a heap.

I have the same problem. Everyone in the house is afraid to bathe her and she needs a bath. I guess it's either try to bathe her with the help of the police "swat" team (lol) or take her to a groomer and feel sorry for the groomer. I regret that we didn't start when she was a tiny kitten. We should have bathed her more often no matter how much she complained. We have been using kitty wipes for her fur which helps some, but she is at the point where she needs a bath.

April 16, 2006 Flag
Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

You may feel like giving your cat a bath is akin to taking your life in your own hands' but it doesn't have to be a traumatic experience. Really!

If you have a short haired cat, consider yourself lucky. They very rarely need a bath. Long haired cats, however, often need grooming help from their owners. Unless you start giving baths when your cat is a kitten, your cat may not be thrilled with the idea of a scrub in the tub.

Prepare everything you need before starting. You'll want a few towels, feline or baby shampoo, and a shower attachment or large cup for wetting and rinsing. If you are planning to use a conditioner on your long haired cat, you will need the conditioner and a wide-toothed metal comb for detangling. You may also want to bribe a friend or family member into helping you give the bath.

A flat-based sink is best, a cat in a curved sink may be wrigglier as she tries to keep her footing on the slick, wet surface. Make sure the room is warm and secure! If there is a place to escape, your frantic wet cat will find it. Fill the sink about two inches with warm water, test the temperature before putting your cat in. Use the cup or shower attachment to wet the fur, then apply a drop of shampoo and work into a lather. Don't let the foam get into your cat's ears, nose, mouth, or eyes! You may want to only wet and scrub up to the neck to avoid any accidents. Rinse thoroughly.

If you are using a conditioner, add a drop of conditioner and use the wide-toothed metal comb to work it through the fur. Rinse thoroughly.

Squeeze the excess water out of your cat's coat by running your hands down her body, legs, and tail. Wrap her in a towel and lift her out of the sink. Rub gently to dry her, you may need more than one towel! After toweling, you will need to comb her to help untangle the hair.

You may want to use a hairdryer set on low to help dry your cat. Don't hold the dryer too close! While you lightly blow the air over your cat, lift and comb the fur to help it dry. Be careful to separate any knots with your fingers, and pay special attention to any areas where the fur tends to mat, on the legs, belly, armpits, and groin.

How do you wash a adult cat, besides very carefully? I've never bathed her, but she has had baths at the vet's. She's not declawed.

MsDee from Lillian, Alabama

Answers:

RE: Bathing a Cat

I adopted Beffie from a shelter in October 2004. He hates being picked up and will not allow me to carry him around, so I struggled to find a way to bath him. Once we have a really hot day, I will just wipe him with a cloth dipped in Cleen Green diluted with tepid water. I was actually thinking of putting oven gloves on him - like boxing gloves! On a serious note: how about asking your vet? Maybe they will bath him for a fee, or be able to recommend a responsible pet parlour where it can be done. (09/07/2006)

By Willem

RE: Bathing a Cat

I guess it all depends on the cat, because I have 2 adult cats (12 years old, brothers), and they neither one mind taking a bath. I just put water in the sink, use baby shampoo, and then rinse with the sprayer. No problems. (09/08/2006)

By dse77

RE: Bathing a Cat

To bathe a cat with claws, I use the bucket that kitty-litter comes in, or even a 5 gal. bucket. My shower has a detatchable head on a hose so I fill the bucket up half way with warm water and while the shower head is gently flowing, I lower kitty in the bucket, feet first. I use one hand around his neck to hold him in the bucket.

I gently talk while running the shower over his shoulders and back. I never turn off the water, but lay it in the tub (so he is used to the gentle sound of water and I don't have to readjust the water temp) while I use a gentle cat shampoo diluted in half with water in a clean dish detergent bottle--easier to suds and easier to rinse than the concentrated soap, which never distributes evenly. After I suds completely, I gently begin showering him again.

I keep his chin just above the top of the bucket and he holds on with his "hands" to the top edge. He is very strong and my biceps get a workout. The water bath rinses him well and I even take him out (sorry-false alarm! You thought you were done, Kitty!), tip the bucket over to empty the water out and rinse a second time, as soap residue can cause skin irritations.

I always have plenty of old bath towels handy to double wrap him, cuz he wiggles and growls and claws can easily go through one towel.

This is a Maine Coon cat, neutered male, 20 lbs. and VERY ACTIVE.

Hope this works for you! lindajeang (09/09/2006)

By lindajeang

RE: Bathing a Cat

I discovered this when I had a flea problem. I have 4 cats; none are declawed and do not like baths. So I use a pillow case to cover their body up to the head so they can see. Then I bathe them, one at a time of course, in the tub. (09/09/2006)

By Karen from Iowa

RE: Bathing a Cat

I have 6 cats who all get baths. (If you get them used to it from kittenhood, half the battle's already won) I could never dream of having them declawed, but I do trim the very tips of the claws carefully with a nail clipper before I bathe them, just in case...

I also screw off the detachable shower head and just use the hose. The trick is to make sure all of their 4 paws stay firmly down on the floor of the shower room or tub. I do this by holding them gently on their backs just behind their front legs and gently pressing the cat down and sort of forwards with one hand, while washing them with the other. If they don't get their feet up, they of course can't scratch you. (If the cat does start to freak out; let go. Rather a soaked bathroom than cat scratches.) Talk calmly and praise them all the while, also afterwards when you're drying them off. Never spray water on the cat's head or in their ears. You can always gently wash their faces afterwards with a washcloth. Also it's a lot easier if you can get someone to help you. We wash our cats about twice a year. I wash, hubby dries. It's a pretty non-traumatic event for all of us, but nonetheless be prepared for a messy, wet bathroom afterwards... :o) (09/09/2006)

By feemayl

RE: Bathing a Cat

I think it all depends on the temperament of the cat!

That is if they are adult cats, not used to being bathed from kitten hood. I have two.. one a fiesty smokegrey female I can never attempt to bath she would reduce me to shreds! But she does love being brushed, so I make do with doing that daily.

The other a laid back ginger male will allow me to bath him, as per advice above.

Ellie.

(09/09/2006)

By elliecat

RE: Bathing a Cat

My dear AllieMae LOVED her baths. However unless it was fun time from get go, you might approach it this way;

• 3 buckets
  • 1-warm water with cat shampoo
  • 2-warm rinse
  • 3-warm final rinse with a bit of white vinegar to remove excess soap residue
  • 4-have towels (2or 3) pre warmed in dryer to wrap and dry with

When you put the cat in the bucket you can hold kitty and kitty can hang on to the edges with the 'death grip" and not tear up your skins. Oh some prefer dish gloves to protect from scratches. If you are calm, patience and reassuring the kitty might relax and get ready to jump in shower after as sometimes you get the bath too!

good luck

= ^,,^= (09/09/2006)

By meoowmom

RE: Bathing a Cat

For some unknown reason, each time I ever bathed my cats, they caught colds and died! I have had over 30 cats in my long lifetime and learned that no one can clean them better than themselves. Indoor cats do not smell, they RULE ! LOL (09/10/2006)

By lyndagayle62

how to hold a cat to bathe it

I have tried many ways to bathe my cat (poka). She`s not fully grown. She's maybe 1 years old and I have the hardest time giving her a bath. But see I have an older (myzus) cat that never got a bath until he was probably 5 or 6 and acts like a human getting a bath. So I have no problem giving him a bath.but o.m.g. poka, my younger cat, is awful at baths. (12/02/2006)

By amber

RE: Bathing a Cat

Cats clean themselves, and very well. They do not need you to give them a bath. (08/22/2007)

By CandyCane

March 7, 2006 Flag

I just wondered what people's opinions were on giving cats baths. My cat, Destiny, is an inside short-hair and when I first got her, I gave her some baths, which she hated, of course.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2012 Flag

It is hard to bathe my cat, so now what?

By jjaross

Have someone help you and both be personally calm and verbally soothing and don't be overly forceful. After the bath wrap your fur baby in a towel and hold him/her close to you while giving praises for being a good sport and then just leave him/her alone while they preen themselves and dry off. After about an hour give him/her more loving praises and a treat. The more you give a cat a bath in this way the less stressed they'll be at bath times in the future.

I've found that unless the cat is really dirty, wiping them down with a warm wet washcloth will take care of dirt on their fur. (if they're short haired) It will remove the worst of the dirt, and encourage him to groom himself. If he's long haired, recruit a brave friend to help you. Hold him firmly by the scruff of the neck, and use warm water, like you'd put in a bath for yourself.

Work quickly, and make sure you rinse him completely. To dry him, wrap him in towels, covering his head. Hug the towel-wrapped cat for a few minutes, then let him to to groom himself and sulk. Clean up the bathing area, change your wet clothes, and offer him some of his favorite foods to apologize.

August 28, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets Cats GroomingJuly 13, 2011
Baby in a Bubble Bath
Giving a Baby a Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
🎉
🎄