Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Couch

Category Cats
If your cat is peeing on your couch, it is important to get the cat to stop doing so as soon as possible. This is a guide about keeping cat from peeing on new couch.

I'm literally at my whits end and I've tried everything and I don't know what to do. I have a rescue cat that continually pees outside of the litter box, on my couch in fact. I have taken her to the doctor's, I have multiple litter boxes, I have pheromone plugs ins, I have special litter, I clean the litter box at least once a day, I have a water fountain, she's on a special diet, she's on anti-anxiety meds, I've tried Spirit Essences, and I play with her everyday.

She's already ruined one couch that I had to get rid of and my new couch is currently covered in puppy pads and couch covers. I find something almost every day! Help! I honestly don't know what do to, and at this point I'm going to have to rehome her because it's causing issues with my other cat. I really don't want it to come to that, but the tension between the two cats is getting bad and it's not fair to either of them. Please advise.

Answers

Best Answer

It seems like your cat just can't come to terms with the fact that she shares a home with another cat. That's unfortunate.

Sounds like you've done everything there is to be done. The problem may be resolved if she is rehomed as a single pet. But this may not be possible. And it might not resolve the problem.

An animal that can't learn to control its bathroom habits is not suitable for life with humans. This is a sad fact of life. You've given her all the chance you can, so don't feel guilty about whatever decision you have to make now.

Best Answer

You have certainly given this your best shot. The only thing I can suggest is try a pheromone collar. Friends have had good luck with those when the plug ins didn't work. It seems to have cured random urination for some of them. Also, can you "catify" your home? It can help with territorial issues. Create spaces your cat can get to that are high up. This comforts some cats. Best of luck to you. If it doesn't work you wont be the first person who could not blend a couple of cats.

Best Answer

Puppy pads may be a tempting choice (I've been there, done that) but they have an attractant in them that makes an animal want to pee there (this why they're used for house training puppies, get the dog to pee on the mat and keep moving them closer to the door until they get the idea that they're supposed to pee outside).

I've found crumpled tin foil to be the best deterrent for my cats, and have also used an upside down plastic carpet runner (little nubs facing up, cats hate the feeling on their paws) on the couch.

I made a couch cover out of vinyl table cloths from the dollar store, taped a few together with a few layers of duct tape and taped tin foil to the outer layer. The cover goes on the couch whenever we leave the room and definitely over night which is when we had the majority of our problems with our cats. Hope this helps.

I have a 7 year old female Seal Point Himalayan. She has been fixed. She is constantly peeing on my couch and near my wooden furniture. She doesn't seem to have a UTI. She does use the cat box. I was wondering if any one knew what could be wrong with her.

Dawn from Lisbon Falls, Maine

Answers

Best Answer

First, rule out any underlying medical conditions by having your kitty checked by the vet. If she checks out fine, there might be a very simple problem you can easily remedy. Cats are fussy creatures, and they are purposeful! In other words, she's trying to tell you something. LOL!

1). Where is the litter box located? Is it in a high traffic area of your home?? Is it near a toilet or near her food source? Is it a covered type box with a high step up? These are all things that some cats find objectionable.

2). How often do you clean the litter box? Do you wash it once a week? If so, do you use chemicals to clean it?

3). Do you use deodorant litter? Clumping type litter? Many cats are sensitive to anything but unscented, clay litter.

Make some changes towards encouraging her to use her box. Often this is all it takes. Make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on the spots she's peed on though...if she continues to smell her own urine there, she'll continue to go there.

Good luck.

We got my cat when she was kitten. When she was about 4 to 6 months old she started peeing on the couch and sometimes even on the bed. We weren't sure what to do since we had never had a cat do this before. She was already fixed and declawed and everything so that can't be why she does this. We started putting blankets on the couch thinking maybe if it doesn't look the same she won't do it anymore. We were wrong. We have another little kitten, but he doesn't live in the house and they don't have a problem with each other. Maybe we should try another litter box or move it in a different spot, but I don't know. If anyone knows what to do please let me know.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

You don't have to train cats go to the bathroom in the litter box, they just know. If they are peeing and pooping elseware it is either a bladder infection or anxiety. Talk to your vet for answers.

I have 2 cats and we adopted both. I am not sure of age, but they are quite young. All of a sudden they peed on my couch. I don't know what to do! How do I stop them from doing it anywhere else and how do I cover up the smell?

Answers

Best Answer

You always need to have them checked by a Vet when this happens more than once or twice. It can be a bladder infection. It may be they see cats outside and feel threatened and are marking their territory. The thing I use for stain and odor is a product called Fizzion. It is a tablet you put in a spray bottle and it dissolves. It stops any odor, especially cat pee. You may need to order it off the internet.

You can buy Fizzion on Amazon

I have a 6 year old female cat that has never peed on anything. About 2 weeks ago I had a good friend over for girls' night and she had too much wine and got sick on my 1 year old $1500 fabric couch and my area rug.

I used my carpet cleaner to clean the couch and area rug. Within a day my cat had peed on both the rug and the couch. I threw out the rug and used baking soda, Windex, vinegar, etc. Finally a special cat pee cleaner seemed to do the trick, it smelled better. Then I covered the cushions with garbage bags and tin foil to really let the cleaner do it's thing and deter her from peeing on it again. Today I looked over and she was peeing on the back of the couch, where the wasn't any vomit or cat pee before.

How can I get her to stop?! This is a pretty new couch and she hasn't touched the matching love seat.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

Here's what's in your cat's mind:
You let somebody in your house who "marked" the cat's sofa, claiming it as her own. How dare she! Your cat "marked" it back.

You keep removing the smell, which is just confusing your cat. She was trying to mark that and you keep un-marking it.
You're wondering how to get her to stop marking it and she's wondering how to get you to stop erasing it.

This is a difficult situation. One of the things you can do is drape your clothing or a blanket you have used on the sofa. If you "mark" it with your scent your cat might be satisfied again. However, you risk your cat peeing on this.
Alternately, if there is a scent your cat definitely thinks of as "you" such as a perfume or spray deodorant you always wear, a little of that might work.

Some people have success feeding the cat on the sofa for a while. Cats generally won't "go" where they eat.

My cat has an issue of peeing on the couch when other people who have cats come over. I have tried everything under the sun and moon to resolve the issue, nothing seems to work. I refuse to give him up because he was a rescue of the side of the road at 4 weeks old.

I have tried everything including cayenne pepper, tin foil, mouthwash, puppy pads, even urine deterrents. It's embarrassing when people come over because once you sit on the couch you smell it. My couch isn't even a year old and if there is a way I don't want to get rid of it because it wasn't cheap. Suggestions?

Answers

Stopping cats from urinating on furniture

Step 1
Clean soiled areas thoroughly. Don't use strong-smelling cleaners, because they may cause your pet to "over-mark" the spot.

Step 2
Make previously soiled areas inaccessible or unattractive. If this isn't possible, try to change the significance of those areas to your pet. Feed, treat and play with your pet in the areas they're inclined to mark.

Step 3
Use a product like Feliway® to inhibit your cat's spraying.

Tips from the Humane Society

I support your determination to keep your cat but resolve weakens when there does not seem to be a way to solve a problem like this. You may have to take several steps to find out what is causing your cat to pee on your couch because even a thorough cleaning may not be the answer.

Step 1
First question: has your cat been to the vet recently and had a health check-up so that a health problem can be ruled out? Medical problems can cause cats to avoid using liter boxes, such as a urinary tract infection and other health problems.

Step 2
Taking a step by step approach while trying to create a calmer environment for your cat may be the best solution.

Step 3
Think back to when this first problem began and try to remember if anything has changed in your household - another animal - new people - moving furniture - new routine/change in time schedule - moved liter box - as any of these things could cause a cat to become uncertain about what to do.

Step 4
Some suggestions: add another box in a different location. Next would be trying a different type of litter, and possibly taking the covers off the boxes. Try to find an unscented cat liter.

Step 5
Sometimes just an extra cleaning of their liter box will help. ie) make sure you are scooping daily, use unscented clumping litter, and completely clean with soap and water about once a week and filling the box with fresh litter).

Step 6
Many people say they use Rescue Remedy for cats as it has a calming effect and this will help you retrain your cat. Some pet stores and Walmart sell this product (but call first before making a trip). Once you use this you will always keep it on hand. It does not have long lasting effect and is very safe. http://www.bach  t-is-rescue-pet/

Step 7
Cleaning: Is it possible to take your couch cushions out side as any cleaning method will work better if that is possible.

Step 8
Mix 12 cup of white (not wine or cider) vinegar with 2 cups of warm water. Pour this mixture over the stain and let it soak for three to five minutes before blotting it up. Test this on a small, less visible area to determine whether it will discolor your couch. After the stain is dry, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda over the area to remove the last of the odor, and vacuum it up after 24 hours.

Step 9
Another solution to try. 3% hydrogen peroxide container, 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tbsp hand-dish-washing soap (Dawn - blue)

Step 10
The absolute best cleaner that I have found for pet "accidents" is an Enzyme Cleaner. These usually work better on this type of stain/odor. . Dont use enzymatic cleaners with other types of cleaning agents; they can reduce the effectiveness. Enzyme cleaners can be purchased at most large box stores (Walmart, Target, etc), pet stores and on-line (Walmart/Amazon). Read labels and be sure it states enzyme cleaner for pet stains/odor.

Avoid ammonia: Youve probably noticed that ammonia and urine smell alike. This is because urine actually contains ammonia.

Febreeze,steam cleaner,plastic.Tips to stop cat from peeing.

• For now I would steam the couch and spray with febreeze.
  • I moved into a house once, and the carpet smelled of cat urine. I steamed it and sprayed with febreeze and it worked to eliminate the odour.
  • Cover your couch with plastic like a shower curtain just until you can figure out why your cat is doing this.
  • If the cat is not neutered he could be spraying instead of peeing.
  • Figure out if you recently changed cat litter stay away from scented cats do not like it.
  • Did you move the litter box?
  • Cats are creatures of habit.
  • He could of heard a loud noise while using the litter box and it scared him.
  • Also make sure he does not have a health issue.

He goes to the vet pretty regularly, never a health issue. He uses his litter box, when we have people who come over and they own cats... Where ever the sit at on the couch is where he usually pees, once they leave. He has two litter boxes and uses them both and they are cleaned out daily. I have tried the vinegar and water trick, so far its working. I try to catch him, when he does it that is, to spray a little water at him as well. I have taking the cushions outside and let the air out and it helps as well. I will try the peroxide, soap & baking soda if it happens again.

I have a cat. She is about 4 years old. A few months after we got her, she peed on my bed once. She also peed on my sister's bed once, on the master bedroom bed once, and on the couch only once. It seems like she's peeing to "mark her territory". My problem is that we just bought a new couch. I'm worried she is going to "mark her territory" on it. Any advice? Thanks!

By Laureta

Answers

Feed your cat on the couch for about 2 weeks. Cats don't pee where they eat. I tried this it works. I did this about 10 years ago and He has not peed on the couch since then.

That's a great idea! Genius, in fact!

We have many cats, they're all altered tom cats but they continually to pee on our couch. We have done the carpet runner, turned it upside down; they just love it. We put plastic on it. Somebody told us to put spray deodorant on it. We have even gone as far as building them an outside play area. We have three very large litter boxes that we made out of the plastic totes. We've tried different cat litter. We are at our wits end.

By Monique from Comanche, OK

Answers

Some furniture is made from oil based fabrics, which cats LOVE to pee on. Once they pee on it, the urine smell goes into the wood frame of the couch and they consider it a litter box, as you will never get the smell out. I had a couch that the cats actually tore a hole in the lining underneath and were climbing inside and "doing their business" inside the couch. I had to burn the couch. I got a new one from "Laz Y Boy"...an expensive store here in Canada, and they haven't touched it....I've had it for almost 10 years now. Check out the material on Google to see what it's made from.

I rescued Bella 4 years ago when I found her at a mall parking lot all beaten up when she was 7 months old. For the first year, she did not pee on my couch, but has now been doing it for 3 years. I have to keep plastic shower curtains on my couches so she won't penetrate thru my couch. However, it's very nerve racking to constantly find pee and having to clean it up and keep buying shower curtains.

She does use her potty, however, every now and then she'll keep peeing on the same couch, same spot which I btw, clean with the pet products to use for cleaning pee. Her pee has not penetrated thru due to the plastic curtains I keep on the couches. Lately, she ended up peeing on the spare bed. OMG, what a mess and stink. I had to replace the undercover (which helps from stains or anything wet to seep thru, thank goodness the mattress was saved), sheets, and pillows.

She has two other male cats, one of which doesn't seem to like her very much and keeps on picking on her. I'm pretty sure this is a behaviour thing since it doesn't happen all the time, but lately has been. She has been fixed. I need to know how to stop her from doing this again. Please help.

I have a cat that I love that has begun the horrible habit of peeing on, well, just about everything, but especially our microfiber couch. She's only 2 and seems to do it out of spite, like after we come home from a vacation, when guests are over, etc. She's particularly shy. Any tips for curbing this bad habit?.

Shae from Oak Creek

Answers:

Advice About Peeing Cat

First of all the cat should be checked by the vet to rule out any possibility of a urinary tract infection, etc. The cat could be responding to the new boyfriend. Does the boyfriend like cats and does he treat this cat nicely? Felines have a sixth sense about people. The new boyfriend could be moving in on the feline's territory too quickly. Subtle changes in a cat's daily routine can trigger behaviors like this. The litter box should be scooped everyday! Would you as a human not flush your toilet on a regular basis! The cat is saying something! Don't get rid of her, listen to her and figure out what it is! (02/14/2005)

By Sew Sew Mitch

Advice About Peeing Cat

I'm with Mitch. I have two cats. When the 6 year old suddenly started peeing on the carpet for no reason after 2 days, it was to the vets with us. He had developed a condition that is easily treatable by changing his food to foods made specially for cats with Urinary Tract health issues. We now had no problems. If the problem had been the boyfriend, wouldn't it have stopped when she went away? Good luck. (02/14/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Advice About Peeing Cat

My cats did a little of this when I got married and my new husband moved in. One would pee in his chair at the dinner table or try to pee on the new sofa. It was exasperating, but I trained my husband. The cats were fine physically, but didn't like all the changes to our routine. Husband had to learn not to swat at the cats, talk loudly or be too rough with them, how to pick them up, and how to pet them gently and not do other things the cats considered "mean" or "scarey". They were used to sitting on the furniture, counters, wherever they pleased and husband didn't want them there. (I never ate there, so why not use the table as a cat perch! :-)

We made them a special cat perch instead. Now they like husband and play with him and want to sit in his lap and nobody pees in the house. I completely agree about the vet and the litter box first, though. And definitely figure out what the boyfriend is doing to the cats when you are not watching. I didn't realize why my cats hated my new husband until I saw him swat them off the table and "yell" at them. I had to tell him to just call them by name and tell them "hop down" quietly instead and then praise them for obeying and they now respond to his voice...most of the time. I also agree that pets are very good at telling if a person is "nice" or not, even if they are very good at hiding their true colors. (02/15/2005)

By guest

Advice About Peeing Cat

I agree about taking the cat to a Vet. When they don't use the kittly litter pan, there is usually a urinarytrack problem. It is very important to have this checked out. (02/15/2005)

By GayCarolyn

Advice About Peeing Cat

I have a neutered male who started to do this too. After ruling out everything with the vet, we decided to try Feliway spray. After cleaning the pee with enzyme cleaner (Petzyme) spray the couch just a little with Feliway. This is a synthetic hormone spray that teaches cats its a "friendly" zone. Both these items can be purchased at the pet store. True, these things cost money, but they go a long way, and in my opinion, you can't put a price on something like this. No one likes the smell of pee! :) (08/20/2005)

By MsMarlene

Advice About Peeing Cat

My cat did this when she was new to our household. This is what took care of the problem:

1) clean furniture then cover it with plastic. (We used mattress protectors, but any large sheet of plastic would do).

2) Cover the plastic with temporary furniture covers of some kind since you will not want to sit on plastic.

3) On the spots that the cat likes to pee, leave special treats.

4) Give the cat extra love and attention.

Once the furniture was protected it cut down on my stress. I didn't have to worry about the furniture being ruined. If the cat is peeing because of stress, this will help the cat too. Our pets are experts at tuning in to our emotions.
Our cat would go back to the spots where she used to pee hoping to find a treat, and she would never ever pee there because she is fastidious about her food.

I also agree with the other posts which recommended that you have a vet examine your cat. However, urinary tract infections are rare in cats and usually only occur in cats older than five years. (08/20/2005)

Advice About Peeing Cat

My cat refuses to use a litter box unless it is pristine clean. I got tired of scooping all the time (or cleaning up messes in the wrong place) and bought a Stylette Litter Sweep electric litter box. It was worth the $100 and I didn't have to get rid of the cat! (08/23/2005)

By Julie

Advice About Peeing Cat

I agree about taking your cat to the vet immediately. My friend ignored his cat's urination problems and his cat almost died from kidney failure. It is on a special diet because of the irreversible damage done to its kidneys. Also have her spayed if she's not already because cats will urinate to attempt to signal males that they are "in season". (08/23/2005)

By BarbMoore

Advice About Peeing Cat

Frequent urination can also be a sign of DIABETES. My 7 year old calico started peeing these GIANT puddles absolutely everywhere. She was also drinking for ten minutes straight. After she started getting insulin shots, the only place she pees besides the littlerbox is in the kennel when she's on the way to the vet! (08/29/2005)

By Guest