Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas

I always had a hard time finding a litter box that was deep enough for my cats. They kicked loads of litter out the side with traditional boxes. Then I tried a covered box and it just made them stinky when they came out. So I made my own litter box.

I simply bought two deep Rubbermaid containers (I think Rubbermaid would be better than Sterilite since Rubbermaid is a little more flexible) and cut two openings in the front of the containers. I had my dad actually cut the openings with a saw, but I think a sharp box cutter (and a little safety precaution) would work, too. This has been the "perfect" solution for my cats because they only spill litter out the front, and even then it's not very much.

I hope someone finds this tip useful!

By Kathy from SD

9 More Solutions

I have found a great idea for a hidden kitty litter box! Go to the nearest thrift store find a decent sized two drawer night stand. Take top drawer out and cut the face of the drawer off.

I love cats. But I hate the litter. They scatter it all around. Some dogs love to get into the litter. The smell can be terrible between changes. But I came up with a solution that is cheap and works well.

Homemade Cat Litter Box - deep storage container for litter box

We made this litterbox out of a $4.00 tub. We used a dremel to cut the hole, It is bigger than the normal box and easier to open and clean.

Litterbox from plastic tub.

While shopping in a department store, I noticed that basic litter boxes for cats cost more than a dishpan. The litter boxes were priced at over $6.00 each. The dishpans were priced at $1.29 each.

Covered cat litter boxes are ridiculously expensive, however they certainly do help contain cat odors. Since we are a multi-cat family I found the best way to cut the cost and still reap the benefit was to use plastic storage containers.

After seeing a nifty cat box with a high price tag, I decided to make my own. It is a tote with a hole cut in the top of the lid. I had empty totes already so that didn't cost me anything.

I have a multi-cat household. After years of using covered litter boxes, which help keep litter in, but are time consuming to clean, I realized maybe a long and deep storage box would work.

This is a page about making a litter box cover. Making a cover for your kitty box may help keep the litter scatter down.

Rubbermaid bin to cover litter box

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 4

I always had a hard time finding a litter box that was deep enough for my cats, so I made my own litter box.

Pets CatsJuly 3, 2013
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Cat-Litter-Box-Ideas.html