Dr. Elsey's Cat Litter Reviews

Category Pets
This guide contains a Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter review. This scoopable cat litter is blended with a natural herbal attractant. It is a great solution to try if you have a cat that isn't using its litter box.

We were thrilled when we got our adorable 1 year old male cat from an adoption center. We figured a lot of the first year problems would have been resolved. Wrong! One issue was that he would use the cat box sporadically. We took him to the vet who said that there are no medical issues. The vet recommended getting a softer litter and leaving him in an enclosed room. That didn't work.

I went to Pet Smart and it was recommended that I try a litter called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. I was promised that I could return it if it didn't work. I was skeptical, but bought it anyway. It was a bit more expensive, but it works!

Top Comment

I have used many litters over the years. I started with Dr. Elseys last year. It is the best litter I ever used. It has the least dust of all of them. I have had friends tell me just what you discovered, cats will use it religiously, where they wont with other litters.

This litter (Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter) contains 'bentonite' clay, which is according to a published article in the journal of 'Veterinary and human toxicology'; cats that eat bentonite-containing cat litter are predisposed (more susceptible) to anemia with an associated elevation in their reticulocyte counts. If you want to read it yourself, here is the article title: "Suspected Bentonite Toxicosis in a Cat from Ingestion of Clay Cat Litter". You can look it up on Google Scholar and see what research (and not a company who wants your money) tells you. My cat's blood test returned with HIGH reticulocyte counts. I never thought about his litter at all, but then I started investigating every single thing he is recently used, and the litter was one of them because I changed it recently after I moved to a different area where the litter I usually use was not available. PLEASE, do not risk the health of your cat. I regret the moment I bought this a lot. My cat is sleeping in the hospital right now.

I have been using it for around 4-5 months now, and the effect showed just recently because of the cumulative and gradual effect of ingesting the litter by grooming. If you are using it, you do not have to throw it right away (probably much more safer to do so though), but at least don't buy it again if you care about your cat's health. And ESPECIALLY if your cat has a history of Anemia. I will make sure to warn people from this litter in every website I have bought this from, or wherever I can write a review about it. I couldn't even imagine that my cat will be hospitalized one day because of his litter until I found that article. Graduate school taught me to look for reliable sources whenever I am confused, and I am glad I did. This litter is indeed and by all means natural, but please note that: Natural DOES NOT equal safe. Toxics found in plants, poisons in many mushrooms for example or even snakes are natural, parasites are natural, dangerous bacteria are also natural, etc. Dont let the naturalistic fallacy fools you!