Repairing Couch Springs

Category Sofas
Over time the springs in your couch can break or become compressed resulting in a sagging couch. You can buy a new couch, or perhaps you can save a lot of money and simply repair the worn springs. This is a guide about repairing couch springs.

I have a not-so-old (5 years) but clearly not-so-good-quality sofa on which the springs have lost their tautness. These are low quality S-springs. Is it worth getting the sofa "resprung"? Anybody know how much that tends to cost (3-seater) - as much as buying a new set of furniture? Apart from the springs it's in great shape, and there is a matching loveseat which has no problems at all, so it's a bit of a shame to have to junk the whole set on account of the one set of springs.

Thanks ever so much.

Adrienne from DC

Answers

What I have done with a sleeper sofa, is cut a piece of board to fit under the cushions, to keep them from sinking. This may help. It'll be easier, cost effective , and keep you from having to buy a new sofa. You can also cover the board with fabric and batting for a little extra protection should someone "bounce" down on the sofa a little too hard!

This really depends on how much the sofa cost new, how much it will cost to replace springs, and how much a new sofa will cost!

do you have any sort of warranty?...perhaps speaking with the place you purchased it from would gain you a discount on a new set, or they could help you find a resolution to your problem?...if you were interested in a new furniture set (if replacing the springs is too costly, or the board doesn't suit you) sometimes it is beneficial to just ask...remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and a reputable store will do what they can to make you happy!

I use to manage an upholstery shop so i know what we would have charged for replacing springs and its not cheap. most of the fabric has to be removed to get to the springs and then reattached. It is almost as time consuming as just reupholstering the sofa. Maybe 200-400$ depending on shop reputation. I have the same problem with my sofa and found a product on the internet that you place under the cushions and it gives more support. go to google and type in "sofa" "spring" "support". I think it was only about 20$

I, too, have had to add support to a sagging couch .. I like the "sofa savers" that Gayle mentioned. I added some velcro so it didn't slip around too much under the cushion, especially when my 2 year old jumps on it. I got mine from carol wright gifts and it was around $20. It makes such a difference.

Good Luck!
Rebekah

If you do decide to replace it, why not just get or make a coordinating slipcover for your loveseat since it's in good condition still. I did that when we got a new loveseat.

Good Luck to you!

Sorry to clog this up but here's the Seat Saver I was talking about ...

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com

Put "Seat Saver" in the search box on their site.

Where can you find the springs, I have two broken ones and have removed them but can not find replacements, they are the "S" type spring

To Jim Sherman and others,

I have some extra 55 cm s-springs I ordered through a connection in Hong Kong. I'm happy to sell them to you at cost, plus shipping.

See this link:
http://www.made … rt-for-Sofa.html

Well I have tried the seat saver deal that goes under the cushions but It doesn't work. Yeah, it is only about $20 but it only works for about a month and then it gets all bent out of shape. I am the only one that usually uses the couch so putting too much weight on it isn't the problem. I'm going to have to find some other way to fix it or get a new one even thought it's only 3 years old.

The thing about springs, I have always thought, is that they are 15th century technology.

Futons are better support, but the cushion design doesn't match--more like spring sofas.

Maybe a combination of futon frame and memory foam fillings (If you don't want to pop for down) are the way to go.

Any other ideas?

I have an old sofa that is worn out and should be replaced, but I cannot afford it at this time. Besides, my entire family loves this sofa, as it is very comfortable. However, one of the springs has sprung apparently. If you sit down on this one section you sink down too far.

Is there a way to shore this up that is not too difficult or expensive? I am a single mom on a limited budget. Kathy Y.

Answers

we had a similar problem several years ago and just cut a piece of plywood and then covered it with an old sheet and stapled it(even though you couldn't see the board,i didn't want it to snag my cushion.)just a suggestion.thanks,angel

I also had the same problem. I took the bottom fabric off of it and repaired the spring by attaching a eyelet hook to the wood and running the spring back through it. Be forewarned, though, because it's hard work but I think it's worth it.

I agree with the plywood, we did this for an old loveseat we had which was still in good shape, but you disappeared into it......still works well!!!

Most of the time these springs are an "s" style spring.
If you turn the couch over you should be able to remove the bottom cover (if it's even still there) and see the spring. It is generally not difficult to remove the spring and buy a replacement from a local upholstry shop, but in a pinch, use a couple coathangers bent to match the spring. then using some bailing wire(a whopping $1.00 a roll at a local hardware store)you simply "splint" the springs with the hangers. It's ugly but when you flip it back over... no one knows but you

I have used plywood and it really does work, and makes a very firm base for your cushions. Wanted to say that I re-covered my sofa and two easy chairs last winter. It is amazing what you can do with a staple gun, upholsery tacks and a hot glue gun. They look like new. Try it--it will give you a great lift!

We had the same problem with an old sofa. It was a hide-a-bed, though. If yours is too, you might try what we did. My husband tightly (very tightly) wrapped those canvas moviing belts many times around and around the folded bed frame. You could no longer use the bed, but we seldom did anyway. The moiving belts have just the tiniest "give" to them, and the couch was very comfortable and didn't sink in anymore. I would probably still have this 20-year-old couch to this day, but finally I got the old man to spring for a new one!

I stepped on my loveseat cushion and felt a string or something catch. Now the cushion won't come back into the original position. What can I do? This is on a leather loveseat. Thank you!

Can anyone direct me to find a manual or videotape that can teach me to retie springs in the seats and back of a couch.

Robert

Answers

I would go to the library, and ask them if they have any books or videos that could provide you with helpful information.
Many times, if your library doesn't have what you are looking for, another library will "lend" them what you need, and you can check it out.

Hi Robert:
I sent this on to a friend that was an upholsterer. Here is what he said

"I did a search on Amazon.com for books on Furniture Upholstery and came up with a big list.

I'm not familiar with any of them but there are several that should show one how to tie springs. It isn't an easy chore since the method can vary from one piece of furniture to another. I wasn't comfortable tackling a new spring tying job even after two years of classes on upholstery at the Voc Tech.

Maybe Mr. Kline can take that list of books to his local library to see if they have any of them."

Hope this helps,
Susan from ThriftyFun

The best book I found is "Singer Upholstery Basics." It is very well written and has many detailed pictures.

The vertical spring broke on a antique chair. How can I repair or buy a new vertical coil?

By DMH

My heavy husband fell onto our circa 1970's sturdy, oak couch and flattened out a hook that holds one of the S curve springs taut. We'd like to get it back together, as it's a very solid couch and we really need to have it back in order. The hook is probably not repairable, as it was made to hold a very strong spring taut and so bending it back is likely to break it. What can we do to repair it as closely to it's original strength as possible?

By nekocat from OR

I have a vintage couch and chair that I would love to pass on to someone who will restore them. They have excellent lines and bones, they do, however, need to be recovered and the springs repaired. Any suggestions? I have tried calling upholstery places to no avail and the same with restoration places.

I have a 65-70 year old couch, that has been in the family since I was little. I am attached to it, but my kids think I should get rid of it and buy a new one. I can't afford that, I just want to repair it. It sags alarmingly. I think I need to replace the coil springs as well as the s shaped springs. Is there a video or book with instructions for this? I had it reupholstered about 10 years ago, so it is acceptable, though it could use it again, but that will wait till I have the money.

By Greg F.

I found two large springs under my Lazy Boy sofa sleeper and am uncertain where they go on the sleeper. Any help would be appreciated.

By Kathy C. from Logansport, IN

How do we fix the springs that have come off the couch frame?

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA

My sofa apparently has a broken spring. It make a loud noise when you get up from sitting on it. I want to repair the sofa and stop this noise. Any suggestions?

By Bob from Evergreen, CO

I have a Broyhill sofa and the cushions are extremely lumpy. Are there any fixes for this?

By Veronica B.

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA