Old Sofa With a Bad Spring

I have an old sofa that is worn out and should be replaced, but I cannot afford it at this time. Besides, my entire family loves this sofa, as it is very comfortable. However, one of the springs has sprung apparently. If you sit down on this one section you sink down too far.

Is there a way to shore this up that is not too difficult or expensive? I am a single mom on a limited budget. Kathy Y.

we had a similar problem several years ago and just cut a piece of plywood and then covered it with an old sheet and stapled it(even though you couldn't see the board,i didn't want it to snag my cushion.)just a suggestion.thanks,angel

I also had the same problem. I took the bottom fabric off of it and repaired the spring by attaching a eyelet hook to the wood and running the spring back through it. Be forewarned, though, because it's hard work but I think it's worth it.

I agree with the plywood, we did this for an old loveseat we had which was still in good shape, but you disappeared into it......still works well!!!

Most of the time these springs are an "s" style spring.
If you turn the couch over you should be able to remove the bottom cover (if it's even still there) and see the spring. It is generally not difficult to remove the spring and buy a replacement from a local upholstry shop, but in a pinch, use a couple coathangers bent to match the spring. then using some bailing wire(a whopping $1.00 a roll at a local hardware store)you simply "splint" the springs with the hangers. It's ugly but when you flip it back over... no one knows but you

I have used plywood and it really does work, and makes a very firm base for your cushions. Wanted to say that I re-covered my sofa and two easy chairs last winter. It is amazing what you can do with a staple gun, upholsery tacks and a hot glue gun. They look like new. Try it--it will give you a great lift!

We had the same problem with an old sofa. It was a hide-a-bed, though. If yours is too, you might try what we did. My husband tightly (very tightly) wrapped those canvas moviing belts many times around and around the folded bed frame. You could no longer use the bed, but we seldom did anyway. The moiving belts have just the tiniest "give" to them, and the couch was very comfortable and didn't sink in anymore. I would probably still have this 20-year-old couch to this day, but finally I got the old man to spring for a new one!

Where did you get the canvas belts? I need to do this and I think his might be the best way for me!
Thank you

I also have a sagging couch. I decided to try and repair it myself, although I haven't done it yet I have order what I need. Go to www.perfectproductsonline.com they seem to have everything a do it yourselfer would need to do the job.