Repairing a Sofa Bed Frame

1
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Sofa BedHello, I have a pull out bed and its frame is divided in three parts. It closes and opens perfectly, but when I lay down putting weight on the first part, it bends as if I am about to close it. I haven't found anything broken in it so I don't understand what the problem is. Please help! I uploaded a picture of its mechanism as well

The mechanism for a pull out sofa.

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for 2021. 15 Feedbacks
Best Answer

There should be some sort of LOCKING bar or mechanism to keep the bed frame from folding up when in use as a bed. Refer to owner's manual to make sure you are locking it correctly. If it isn't the locking mechanism, call the store where you got it, or call the company that made it, and explain the problem. They should be able to help figure out what's going wrong. Good luck.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

You will need to contact the company that sold you the bed or the company that made the bed.
I noticed that you used the diagram from the 'Made to Last' company in the UK. Is this the brand that you have? Are you in the UK?

www.made-to-last.co.uk/.../

If this is the brand you have you can contact them here:
www.made-to-last.co.uk/contact

If this is incorrect then you'll need to contact whatever company makes your brand. They will understand what is happening immediately and can help you fix it quickly.

Best Answer

Hope you can find some sort of label. Whatever you find, post pictures and we will work on that end. If no label, maybe you can contact the store where purchased and ask for help as furniture stores usually have repair service people.

If no label/numbers you might have to reach out to some of the forums and see if someone can help you. Most forums will be RV related but most will still help if you provide pictures of your sofa bed instead of a diagram.
The links below have forums so look for a way to join and post your question. Houzz is not real clear but join and it becomes clearer. This site has a lot of brand names listed also.
www.houzz.com/.../quality-sleeper-sofa
www.irv2.com/.../sleeper-sofa-bed-frame-not-level...

Answer this Question

28 More Questions

I was folding my Pottery Barn leather pull-out couch to put it away, and heard a snap. Two metal bars dropped down on each side and are no longer connected, so it won't fold up when I try to fold the couch up. I don't know if this is a welding fix or what. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

Normally pull out couches have two different types of frames they use. One is a medal frame with springs for the bed, the other is a medal frame and wood is used to site the bed on. You need to figure out which frame you are using first off.

Open the bed back up and look at the frame. Find out what has broken and where the bars go. This way you can determine if you can repair the frame on your own or you will need to get a company to do this for you. This could be a simple fix of just replacing some springs or the frame could have broken and needs to be replaced or repaired.

Answer this Question

I bought a new sofa bed, but when I open it for sleeping the top of the mattress stays on a slant. My son says he feels like he is sleeping on a hill. How do I get it to go flat?

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 337 Feedbacks
Best Answer

It is difficult to help you out with this when we don't know which way it is slanting. Is the foot higher than the head (calling the part close to the back of the sofa the head)? Or the other way around? Or does it slant to one corner? Perhaps one of the legs is not extended out as far as it should go?

Maybe you should call someone you know who has a similar piece of furniture, and have them come over and look at it. Or perhaps you could call the furniture store and ask them about it.

Answer this Question

When I pull out my sofa bed frame, the end leg joint is not locking and the bed sags. Nothing appears to be broken. How can I fix this?

Answers

Best Answer

Sometimes a joint will slip but it's difficult to see why because anything you try to do with a pull out sofa bed is in an awkward position and you cannot always see a small difference.

You will need to take several pictures and the way to do that is to alternate sides - take a picture of each area around the joints - one of the 'bad' side and then a picture of the good side. Take pretty close up pictures and another one of the same joint only slightly further away - that will be 2 pictures of each bad and good joint area.
You will need these when asking for help.

You can read past questions and answers to start with - just in case they have something you can use:
www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Sofa-Bed-Frame.html

It is very difficult to try and locate problems like this by yourself so I would suggest you take your pictures to either Ace or True Value hardware store and see if they can help you. There stores usually have people who are very qualified in helping solve problems like that and they never seem too busy to help you.

If they cannot help maybe you could join one or more of these forums and ask your question to see if experienced members can help you. Join more than one as this is a holiday season and answers may be slow. It will take a little time but they many times know exactly what you're talking about.
gdrvowners.com/.../4627-fixing-an-out-of-level-sofa...
www.city-data.com/.../1451319-sofa-pull-out-bed-sagging...
homeguides.sfgate.com/repairing-sofa-bed-frame-63495.html
cuddlyhomeadvisors.com/.../
blog.homearena.co.uk/.../

If you still cannot find help you might try contacting your local Sears service center to see what would be the cost for a repair person to come to your house.
www.service-center-locator.com/.../sears-service-center.htm

Answer this Question

Our sofa-bed is stuck. We think the frame may be bent. We are not sure why it won't open out or close now.

Can you help?

Answers

Look for an obstruction of some kind. Objects can get through the cushions of your sofa and into the internal mechanism of the bed frame.

Is it locked? Some manufacturers put a locking mechanism on the sofa bed. If this lock is engaged you will not be able to open the sofa bed. Contact your sofa bed's manufacturer if you are not sure whether the bed is locked and to find out how to unlock it.

The wire "springs" on my hide a bed re worn out and it sleeps like a hammock making it a back breaker. Can we replace or repair? We need this for visitors. The couch itself is in great shape so, what next?

Recently, I had a rivet break on one of the joints that puts the top of the bed up into the couch. Any suggestions on how to replace/fix it?

I have a bent frame on my sleeper sofa. I need to have it repaired in home, who will fix it for me? It is a leather couch with the frame bent at the foot of bed.

By Lyn

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

Depending upon how & where the bend is, you can probably straighten it out yourself by very gently hammering the frame straight. Or perhaps you can find a general handyman to do it. If the frame is broken - then it becomes a whole other repair matter.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

The recommendation to first bend with leverage, then hammer if necessary, is right on the money! I just completed this repair, with a hammer, and my couch folds away like new. Make sure there are no other encumbrances (my couch has a metal brace which was interfering with the folding process) which might be contributing to your challenge.

Answer this Question

Where can I find sofa bed frame for a pull out sofa bed?

Tisha from Los Angeles

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

Your best bet would be to go the futon sofa route - which is a sofa frame of wood/metal with a pad that folds out - that's the usual route nowadays. Otherwise look for a used sofa bed to redo- but they get cranky with old age - so, beware.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks

Wish you lived close to me. We're buying a new sofa and our old one is a sleeper sofa--was only used a couple of times and the pull out is like new. Maybe put it up on freecycle or craigs Llst in your area. There must be others like us...

By Stewart (Guest Post)

Try www.americanhotel.com, they should have one.

Answer this Question

I had someone sit on the head of the bed and the frame popped inwards. I can still lift it into place. When I lower it it then collapses again. Can anyone help?

I have a Mena queen sleeper sofa purchased in 2015. One of the pre-drilled fame holes has been broken and I need to find out where I can get a spare part. Any ideas or recommendations?Repairing the Frame on a Sofa Sleeper - broken area

Thanks!

One of the straps has broken on my sofa bed; how can I fix this?

My cushions rise after closing. Is one of my bar frames bent? How do I solve this problem?

Answers

I don't understand the question?

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Furniture BedsMay 29, 2013
🎆
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Sofa-Bed-Frame.html