Touching Up Worn Spots on a Leather Sofa

Category Sofas
With use, a leather sofa can develop worn spots that differ in color and finish from the rest of the piece. This is a guide about touching up worn spots on a leather sofa.

I have a taupe leather love seat. I am looking for a creme consistency dye/tint to blend worn areas and scratches. The furniture manufacturer is no help. Has anyone used shoe dye cream, or another product, for a similar problem?

By Susan from Albany, NY

Our leather couch has lost some of it's very dark brown color in a few spots. Would hair dye work to touch it up?

By kmcb59 from WA

Answers:

Shoe Polish

I would use shoe polish instead of hair dye. Just make sure you remove any excess with a clean, dry rag. (08/25/2009)

By Sheryl

Shoe Polish or a Permanent Marker

My initial thought would be to use dark brown shoe polish as someone else also suggested. There is possibly some sort of leather dye out there too.

Are they very small spots? How about a brown permanent marker?

Do you know who made your couch? Could you find an email address for the company and ask for a recommendation?

Our couch is dark brown as well, like so dark brown it almost looks black. My daughter made a scratch with her toenails and I just took a brown marker to cover up the tiny area where the color was missing. (08/28/2009)

By Debbie Dzurilla