Repairing Blemishes on Leather

Category Leather
A very durable material that can collect scratches, marks, and stains. There are a number of ways to make the worn areas less noticeable. This is a guide about repairing blemishes on leather.

I have a tan leather bag that got scuffed at the bottom and have been looking around for tan shoe polish, not finding anything. Everything I found was too dark - then I noticed that a self-tanning lotion I had left over from the summer was the right tan color. As skin is skin, I tried it on the worn parts. A few applications and the color was restored. I put on a thin layer of cheap brown liquid shoe polish to set the stain and the bag looks great!

If the bag or purse is valuable it may be best to have a professional take a look. Shoe repair shops are one place to start. There are also many products for sale made for cleaning and renewing leather items. Take care when doing this yourself. This is a guide about restoring a worn leather bag.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

With use, a leather sofa can develop worn spots that differ in color and finish from the rest of the piece. This is a guide about touching up worn spots on a leather sofa.

The leather is fading in various places especially where my head rests. The response I got from the manufacturer is that it was the ph in my perspiration. If this was so, why is it fading on other parts of the settees that I don't sit on.

Any ideas?
By the way they are only 18 months old.

By Charles T

Answers

It could be that, it could be because of hair products someone has used, or it could be faulty dye job to begin with. I believe it should have lasted longer, but remember, leather is a natural product that has flaws.

The unevenness of the dyes, the cracks in the dyes, the fading and wearing, scuffs, differing thickness of the fabric, etc, are what give leather its personality and should be embraced as traits of the product - a consideration given before leather furniture is bought.

If the warranty is over, it's too late to get anything done even if it is a flaw.

How do I remove printers ink from a white patent leather clutch?

By Hannah from Portland, OR