Cleaning a Suede Purse

Category Leather
Suede is a very attractive leather product, but it can be difficult to clean, in part because of it is highly absorbent. This is a guide about cleaning a suede purse.

I have a hot pink purse with cloth top and suede bottom with a hanging fringe. It is 11x11 inch. The bottom is very dirty and I need to clean it. What can I clean it with?

By sharon from Waynesville, MO

Answers

You probably need to take it to a professional drycleaner.

I am looking for information on how you clean a suede purse.

Thanks, Vivian from Belleair Beach, FL

Answers:

How Do You Clean Suede Purses?

As I recall, in the old days, we used a short-bristle wire brush, something like a fingernail brush, but made with wire. Today, I've been told you take it to a professional, but in the days when we wore a lot of suede, we cleaned our suede ourselves. (10/07/2005)

By Carrie

How Do You Clean Suede Purses?

I wouldn't recommend using bleach in any form on a suede purse. Your best bet is the wire brush like the Oracle says, but you can rub some cornmeal into it first. It will pick up the dirt. Rub that in good, then brush it out. It's very easy to damage suede with oils or chemicals.

Susan from ThriftyFun (10/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

How Do You Clean Suede Purses?

Please never use bleach or Soft Scrub on suede. If it's that tough of a spot take it to a specialty leather cleaner. We have 2 in town and they are tops. I use saddle soap on all other leather items, it works great. Ugg makes a nice suede lotion cleaner for their boots, but you can use it on other suedes. Make sure when you buy suede products spray them with a stain/water repellent like the one you can get through Ugg or Journeys (shoes store) I use the Journeys one and it works on all fabric and leather and never leaves any spots or such. I use it on my Coach and Dooney handbags as well. Hope that helps. (07/08/2008)

By Jody

How do I clean a black suede purse?

By Lexi from Orange, CA

I am planning to buy a Coach purse that has suede on the bottom. How can I clean a suede purse? Thanks.

By Ana from Glendale, AZ

Answers:

How Do You Clean Suede Purses?

If you get a grease spot try beaten egg white. For grubby, I've had some success with rubbing cornstarch in with my hand, leaving it sit overnight and vacuuming off the excess, then use a wire suede brush. Even a small sponge that has dried rock hard works like a brush and won't damage it. (11/20/2009)

By Joan