Cleaning a Suede Jacket

Category Leather
Because of its nap, suede jackets should be cleaned following the best process for this type of leather. This is a guide about cleaning a suede jacket.

Where can I find cheap cleaning items for leather and suede jackets? I need to remove stinky smells and stubborn dirt and dust on my suede jacket?

By ninotchka from Manila, Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

I have had good luck with washing them. Use a gentle soap for delicates. I do NOT scrub, but allow the coat to soak in luke warm water and then gently swish about in the water. Next rinse, then rinse again and again until the water is soap free. Hang and/or block like a fine sweater until almost dry, but not completely. Then into the clothes dryer with dryer balls and set dryer to air dry--NO HEAT. This is soften the leather. As soon as the garment is soft, remove and hand to completely dry away from heat. I have used this on heavy winter coats with success. Good luck, and remember, no heat.

Is there a home method for cleaning a suede jacket?

By Lee

Answers

You can try these ideas. 1. rub the jacket all over with a clean dry bath towel to loosen dirt and dust, then shake. 2. If there are stains, try rubbing them with a pencil eraser, then shake or brush to remove eraser crumbs. If there are stains that are oily/greasy in origin (eraser did not work), put baby powder on the spot(s) and let sit overnight. This helps with that ring around the collar the jacket may have. Brush to remove powder and repeat if needed. You can buy a suede brush, or use any clean stiff bristled(not wire or plastic) brush. I use an old bath brush. You can also try rubbing stains with white vinegar by dampening a clean rag with vinegar and rubbing the stain with it. Before you do this, test the vinegar rag on a part of the coat that won't show in case it removes color or other wise shows on the suede.

3. Brush entire jacket to raise the nap of the suede. 4. If the jacket is not dirty.stained but needs freshening up, tumble in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet for 1/2 hour on the lowest heat or air dry setting. Hope these suggestions help.

How do you clean a suede jacket at home

I have a brown suede jacket that I recently got a spot on it. How do I get it out, without taking it to the cleaners and spending a lot of money? I read to use mild sand paper. Is that true?

Deb from North Haven, Connecticut

Answers

Wal*Mart sells (really cheap) a cleaning kit (an eraser thing & a brush) for Suede. I've used it to clean shoes on which I had gotten cooking oil. Worked like a miracle! If the spot is really stuborn you might try putting baby powder on the spot and letting it sit for a while before using the eraser and brush. Good luck.

I recently purchased 2 suede coats.One in black, the other in tan/brown.On the way home, I placed the 2 of them together and hung them in my closet and when I went to wear them,I noticed a color transfer with each of the coats.The tan one is real noticeable with black marks showing from black coat. Is there anything I can try to restore them back to origianal state without ruining coat or leaving marks? These coats are brand new and have never been worn.

Please help!
Stephen

How do I clean oily residue from a suede collar on my jacket?

By Ivie from Port Huron, MI

I have a new suede jacket, got it for a gift. It has a chemical smell that makes me physically sick. Is there anything out there to get rid of it? I tried hanging it outside, it is a soft suede. Thanks.

Sue from PA

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to clean a suede jacket. I would rather not take it to a dry cleaner.

Joey from Cleveland, OH

Answers:

Cleaning a Suede Jacket

For those of you who have tried these methods with little or no resolve, I say look at suede from another angle. While most leather items thirst for moisture, suede begs to be parched. This is why the better results occur using cleansers such as cornstarch as opposed to detergent and water.

While mild detergents help lift the initial stain, the final result will most likely leave you with a spot larger than the one you started with. Patience and a dry environment seem to be the key, as well as a good, clean nylon brush. I recently bought a used suede couch that had doggie drool stains across two sectional pieces. I gave it a vigorous brushing and the stain came out.

A lack of humidity is definitely key, probably why cornstarch seems to work for some. Don't fret if you've used a wet method. My suggestion is, buy a cheap nylon brush at the grocery store. Suede wants its pile to be raised. (02/19/2009)