Cleaning Suede Boots

Category Shoes
The nap on suede boots and shoes can make cleaning them more difficult than shoes with a smooth leather finish. This is a guide about cleaning suede boots.

When the sidewalks are icy and salt gets put down, it's easy to get salt stains on suede boots. This is a guide about cleaning salt stains from suede boots.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about cleaning a vomit stain from suede. No matter what the stain, care needs to be used when cleaning suede to protect the nap and the dye.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning suede boots with hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide can be used as an inexpensive suede cleaner.

This is a guide about cleaning gas odors on suede boots. The smell of gasoline can be tricky to remove from suede boots, but it is doable.

My brother bought me these adorable lilac suede boots for Christmas. I went to put them on this morning only to realize that my dog had drooled on them- Ick! I hate to gross you out with the details, but the stain has dried on them and I'm too freaked out to try anything. I've even considered the local shoe repair shop. Is doggy drool removal a no-brainer? Or is it going to take a certain amount of delicacy and experimentation? (If so, I'll leave it to the experts.)

pthaloblue

Answers

Best Answer

Although Saddle Soap is great for smooth leather, I wouldn't use it on suede. Rub corn meal into the stain, then brush it out with a suede brush. It may take a few times but hopefully it will take it out. Suede is very delicate and saddle soap will change the color and texture of the suede.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Any tips to remove fish oil stain from suede desert boots?

Margaret from Ayr, Scotland

Answers

By buffyslay (Guest Post)

i heard that to get grease stains out you should cover with paper and iron - the heat should melt the oil and draw it into the paper, not sure what paper to use but normal paper should do

as with all 'repairs' do a small patch first

Editor's Note: I'd worry about the heat on suede. I recommend rubbing corn meal into the grease stain. Corn starch will also work. It will absorb the oil. Just brush it out after it has some time to soak it up. Repeat as necessary.

I wouldn't apply heat to suede, it could cause discoloring and might mat the suede. I, too, would try cornmeal or starch or anything that would absorb the oil, let sit overnight and then brush gently with an old toothbrush. It may take a couple of times but it should work. After the oil is removed I'd spray the boots with a protectant. Coleman makes a great one meant for camping but it rocks on shoes and boots too ..

By josie (Guest Post)

A little butter dripped on my suede boot. Do you know a way how to get if off.

Today I was putting on my liquid eyeliner when I accidently dropped the bottle and the liquid landed on my new suede boots! Help! I just bought my boots. How do I get the stain out!

Answers

hi try using alchol if not use hair spray (the cheap sort) a wipe off with a clean cloth

Hi, I'm not much help on how to get the stain out. But I have a suggestion on how not to do it again. I put my makeup on just after I've showered. This way, if I drop mascara, or eye liner, I'm nude and it'll come off me alot easier than trying to get it out of some piece of clothing. I can honestly say, been there, done that.

By cb (Guest Post)

i just got liquid eyeliner on my new ugg boots how do i get it out?
cb

I ordered these gorgeous boots; they are non-returnable and smell like motor oil. I have sprayed everything I can think of without taking the suede off and left them out over night. It did help some, but they still have a terrible odor.

Anyone have any suggestions? Remember they are boots and suede so I have to watch what I put on them and can't use the washer.

Answers

Doesn't baking soda take the order out of things? Have you tried to put baking soda on them and leave it sit. After use a brush to clean them with and remove the baking soda.

This is, unfortunately, a growing problem-many online stores sell merchandise that comes from outside the US where there is little, if any, quality control. Many people have complained about receiving products with strange smells that are impossible to remove. Who knows how clothes, shoes, bags, etc., are made and what chemicals are used in processing outside of the US?

You will probably not be able to remove the odor in your boots as they are leather. If possible, the best resolution is to return them, hopefully, for a refund.

I would like to know how to clean suede boots. I have a pair of boots and if someone could tell me how best to clean them I would appreciate it. They are soiled and a bit muddy. Thank you.

Tzarina

By Sharon from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Suede is a leather, so if they are bad I'd have them cleaned professionally. Or they do make suede cleaner (spray & brush sold at good shoe stores) and it works well. Once they are cleaned, I would have them Scotch Guarded to protect them. Good luck!

Clean Suede Boots With Hydrogen Peroxide, Jan 7, 2010. Clean Suede Boots With Hydrogen Peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide really does clean your dirty suede/buck work boots. It makes them look almost.
www.thriftyfun.com/tf17853038.tip.html

I found this on the Thrifty Fun search. There's more. Search on Thrifty fun. Maybe this link will take you there. I have a friend who has used peroxide to clean suede shoes for years. She says that it works well for her. I haven't tried it but will when the occasion arises.

I have just dripped washing machine detergent down my dark brown suede boots. Can I do anything to get it out of the material? Can professional cleaning help?

Thanks,
Anna

Answers

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Please email me ned@lofton.com -- maybe Anna has figured it out andwill share it with us.

Holding the boots upside down to keep from getting water inside, run some lukewarm water over them and gently brush with a soft brush until the detergent is gone. Blot the suede dry with a towel and completely dry in front of a fan (not heated air). Use suede brush on dried suede to raise the nap again.

I have a pair of suede boots with Olenauf's waterproofing on them. I would like to remove the waterproofing. I've tried a wire brush, but it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the layer of waterproofing. Any suggestions?

Answers

Usually waterproofing wears off over time. I have to redo mine about every 3 years.

May I ask why you want to remove it? It protects the boots. If it is real suede, it will discolor very easily when exposed to rain or snow.

A container of mayo fell out of the refrigerator onto my suede boots how to clean this greasy spot?

Linda

Answers

Since mayo has a grease like residue you may want to try patting on some corn starch or talcum powder to absorb the grease stain, then brush off with a cloth dipped in vinegar. Test a small out of the way spot though.

Otherwise I would take it to a professional who deals with suede and leather.

~Dawn
http://www.frugalforlife.com

I have a cooking oil stain on my suede Timberland boots what can I use to get this off?

Carrie Wilson from United Kingdom

Answers

By siris. (Guest Post)

French chalk is what we called it , works wonders. We bought it at the drugstore. It is something of Magnesia (the proper term). I found a small block at a fabric store and feel that a western wear shop may carry it, sine the cowboys use it on the bands of their stetson hats.

I spilled some rice vinegar on my boyfriend's Timberland boots. Any advice on how to remove the spots?

By Butterfingers

How do I get tomato sauce, from lasagne, off cream colored suede boots?

By Heidi from Worcestershire

My friend spilled green nail polish on my suede boots. Is there any way to get it off?

By Jane

How can I get radiator fluid stains out from suede boots?

By yvonne from UT