How to Remove Salt Stains From Suede Boots

Category Shoes
When the sidewalks are icy and salt gets put down, it's easy to get salt stains on suede boots. This is a guide about cleaning salt stains from suede boots.

If you get salt stains on your leather shoes or boots in the wintertime, mix one tablespoon of white vinegar in one cup of water. Dip a clean soft rag in the liquid, the wipe the salt stains. Allow to dry and your shoes should be good as new!

By Becki in Indiana

How do you get salt off suede boots?

By Grace Ann

Answers

Best Answer

I'd use a stiff brush first. Remove as much as possible. Then a damp cloth to remove the rest. Let it completely dry, then use the stiff brush again to bring up the nap.

Anonymous
Best Answer

First, use a stiff brush. Then a solution of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water. Using a rag wipe (or scrub) the salted area, then rinse.

Let dry thoroughly. Use the stiff brush again and follow with a water repellant spray.

My suede boots are a very bright and light blue color. How do I use vinegar to remove salt, but not to discolor my boots?

By Marina

Answers

Best Answer

I got new red suede boots for Christmas and wore then out in the snow and got salt stains on them. Was heart broken as they were so comfortable and cute! I used the 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in the cup of warm water, wiped this on the boots and let dry. They look great, salt stains are gone and no discoloration. It is not a good idea to brush them or rough them up, because you are wearing the suede away.

How do I use a home remedy to clean salt from suede shoes?

By dahlia from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I just use an old soft bristled toothbrush to remove as much of the salt residue as possible, wipe with a damp rag, then lightly rough the suede up with the toothbrush again and allow to dry. I've had my snow boots for 19 years (16 winters of which were worn in highly salted Michigan instead of the sand used here in Washington State where I live now) and they still look almost new.

How do I get salt out of faux suede boots? I have flat black boots that got stained by street salt, the kind used to melt the snow. Now the boots have white stains. What can I do?

Sofia

Answers:

Salt Stains on Black Suede Boots

I'd say let them dry, then brush off with a shoe brush. Then if the stains are still there, dab or carefully wipe with a damp cloth. Let dry and brush again.
I'm sure there are also suede care products out there. The boots I used to own came with a packet of something like Scotch-gard. (01/28/2009)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Load More