Removing Gasoline Smell from Shoes

Category Shoes
When gas is spilled, it can be difficult to remove the odor. This page is about removing gasoline smell from shoes.

I stepped in gasoline while filling the car and want to know how to get the gas smell off the bottom of my shoes?

Susan from Chicago

Answers

By Katrina (Guest Post)

Try straight Simple Green.

The only thing I found to work on my new running shoes was scented baby oil. Use cotton ball and generously spread it on the bottom of your shoes

Somehow, gasoline spilled on my brand new shoes. I have washed them in cold water with baking soda and detergent twice to no avail. The smell is still there. What else can be done?

By Michele

Answers

I would fill a sock with baking soda and stuff it in the shoe, then fill the other sock and put it on top of the shoe. Leave it for a few days and the smell should disappear. I spilled gas on the carpet in the back seat of my car and placed baking soda on it and left it for a few days and the smell disappeared completely. Try that and see if it works for you.

You can also try filling the sock with cat litter and leaving that in the shoe for a few days.

Anonymous

thank you I will try

Take a cotton ball and spread scented baby oil on the bottom of the shoes

I have managed to spill gasoline in my shoes when filling up the car. I was wondering how to get the smell out of them. The shoes are made of synthetic.

Answers

Soak shoes in Dawn Dish Detergent and water. After a few hours, rinse and air dry!

This detergent is a life saver for so many issues. Just make sure that it is Dawn and not the generic.

There are 2 ways I have found that worked best for me to get the smell of gasoline out of clothes or even off of your shoes. One was to use a cotton ball and rub scented baby oil over the surface of the shoes and sit them outside in the sun for a few hours. The second one was to use baking soda on the surface of the shoes and allow them to sit with the baking soda on them. This can take up to 48-hours before the baking soda pulls the order out of your shoes. If it has gone to the inside of the shoe you will need to put some baking soda on a sock and place it inside the shoe to get rid of the order. You can also use the sock method on the outside of the shoe too.

First: There are all kinds of synthetic shoes but most use some type of glue to hold them together so I'm not sure you can soak your shoes in water/soap for a long period of time.

Any smell that is on the outside can probably be cleaned with blue original Dawn; try using full strength or diluted and rub or brush the complete outside (if your shoes can take this type of treatment). Rinse and let air dry - outside in sunshine if possible.

As to the inside; you could try using cat litter or baking soda; sprinkle inside completely (fill up the shoes if necessary) and place in a bag overnight. Check for odor and if still there; discard litter and place outside for a few hours - strong sunshine is best.

Some people recommend wiping down with white vinegar but I've never tried that - still; it may help.

Also; if you got gasoline in your car, you'll have to remove the mat and do some of the same cleaning as your shoes.

Check out these answers:

www.thriftyfun.com/tf14762633.tip.html

I have managed to spill some petrol which had some 2 stroke in it into my boot, which has a polystyrene decoration in the shape of a tyre. Any ideas on how to get the smell from it? Your help would be appreciated. Kind regards.

By titquinn

Answers

You can try a product called Nok-Out. It is available from Amazon.

Fill a sock or cotton glove with either baking soda or activated charcoal, stuff it into the boot and leave it sit in a dry, well ventilated space for several days.

Used cascade dishwashing powder. Left it on, put running shoe outside, in a windy area.

Seems to have worked. Another brand may also work.

How do you get gasoline smell off of rubber soled shoes?

Susan Brock from Somerset, KY

Answers:

Gas Smell on Rubber Soled Shoes

Soak soles in a pail with Dawn dishwashing detergent and water. 1 good long squirt for 5 gallons. If Dawn can get oil and gasoline off ducks and other water fowl, it can get it out of sneakers. Give it 24 hours under the sudsy water. you may have to agitate gently. You may have to do this for several days. Rinse well and wash in washing machine. Air dry. (11/01/2005)

By Catherine Somerville

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesFebruary 12, 2013
😎
🐛
📓
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf14762633.tip.html