Removing Gasoline Smell from Wood Furniture

Category Odors
Gasoline odors on your wood furniture can be so strong that the furniture is unusable. Before you choose to no longer use the furniture it is worth trying to deodorize it. This is a guide about removing gasoline smell from wood furniture.

I purchased a cedar quilt chest from a yard sale. After getting it home, I noticed a diesel smell coming from it. It appears someone possibly stored a diesel can on top of it for a while, that leaked, causing a slight stain and foul odor. Any ideas how to remove the diesel smell from the wood?

Answers

I would try Nok-Out. You can get it on Amazon.

Orange Glo is safe for cedar and is good against diesel smells.

It needs to be aired out good, for sure. Does it feel oily? If so, baking soda over the oily spots will help soak up the oil. Once it gets soaked into the wood though, I doubt it will come out.

You say that a diesel can might have been set on top of this chest, so, does that mean the odor is on the outside and not on the inside? I would hope the odor is on the outside.

If the odor is on the outside you could try to absorb the residue with baking soda, fine coffee grounds, cat urine smell remover, or even a mechanic's hand soap (GoJo hand Cleaner I use for greasy spots). You can then try lightly sanding with fine sandpaper to return the wood to its natural odor. It may take several times to remove all of the odor.
If the odor is on the inside - sad, sad - as I do not believe you would ever be able to remove the odor completely which means that anything you store would have that slight odor. Odors like this tend to come and go so when closed up the odor intensifies.
The first thing to do of course is to leave the chest open as long as possible before trying any remedy. If there is an oil stain here then you could try the removal suggestions from above.

There are all sorts of suggestions for removing odors from wood but being closed up is still questionable.
Here are remedies I have used for removing odors from closed containers including my cedar chests: Most of them have to be left for days to weeks to have any success and will require a light sanding with fine sandpaper to bring back the cedar smell.
box of baking soda sprinkled inside; crumbled newspapers and charcoal cubes; plain coffee grounds; cedar oil; kitty litter; Murphy's oil soap

Anonymous

As near as I remember, it did not have an oily residue. I had put it into a storage shed because I couldn't stand the odor in the house, but I'd like to start using it if I can.

Does anyone know how to remove gasoline smell from wood? I purchased a 1930s dresser at a garage sale and discovered three of the drawers contained a strong gasoline odor. The dresser is in excellent condition and the price was $10, a real find.

Answers

You can stuff the drawers with crumpled up newspapers. They usually take odors out of things easily. Wait a few days & then remove newspaper. If it's not gone yet, do it again. It should work!

I had a similar problem with a wood floor in a garage. I soaked the area with liberal amounts of 91% isopropyl alcohol, scrubbed it with a stiff brush, wiped up the excess, and then put a fan on it to help evaporate the remains...worked like a charm! Went from overwhelming to no smell with one treatment.

Charcoal works very well at absorbing odors, but be sure to use pieces without lighter fluid. If necessary you can seal the piece with shellac.